A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Upgrading to 64-bit?

ZFG

First of all, grab a system utility that can display processor info. TuneUp System Information or Auslogics SystemInfo (free) should do.

You must make sure your processor model supports AMD64/EM64T (code: x64).

I'm guessing it does, mine's a Core 2 Duo, and it does support it.

However, the processor is only one thing. You should take advantage of the bigger RAM capacity (~4 GB max for x86, say goodbye to that), and get the appropriate 64-bit drivers for your devices. You should also use the 64-bit versions of the programs you need.

You must make sure that all your hardware will be able to work, and for any devices you want to use, remember to get the x64 drivers.

Your processor is fine. Thats my processor afterall. I'm wagering you already knew that.

You don't want to use 64 bit with anything less than 4GB (3GB is the max usable on 32 bit Vista if I'm not mistaken). Other than that and making sure you have the 64 bit drivers for everything from audio to graphics card to your wireless internet card and everything in between, you don't have a whole lot to worry about.

Just a note, Ultimate is pretty much the biggest waste of money ever. Unless you are getting it at no extra cost, Home Premium is fine.

Geez, it's like everyone has a Q6600...

nah, I was expecting some new software maybe. Only a 64-bit Explorer. But I'm happy with it. :(<

Oh wait till you try out 64-bit solitaire... It has 2 times the bits of the now ancient 32-bit solitaire...

Nah, you'll get some performance improvements in some areas, but unless you're doing extreme number crunching and monitoring it, you probably won't notice too much of a difference... At least, that's been my experience...

That probably don't support virtualization, etc

Interestingly enough, all the quad-cores that AMD makes support virtualization, as far as I can see.

AMD-V operates on AMD Athlon 64 and Athlon 64 X2 with family "F" or "G" on socket AM2 (not 939), Turion 64 X2, Opteron 2nd generation[1] and 3rd-generation,[2] Phenom and Phenom II processors. Sempron processors do not include support for AMD-V.

So as long as you don't get a Sempron (which I'm pretty sure are all low end single cores), you'll have virtualization with AMD.