A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Online play

Felik

Recently I've tried to realize an online mode for my game. I found a tutorial on Mooclick http://www.create-games.com/article.asp?id=1591.

It workes but when I ported this to my game and tried to play I encountered a problem. Ping is SOOOO high. In fact when other character jumps, runs or whatever, I see that after about 1.5-2 seconds. I'd like to try moogame but I haven't found any tutorials on it. Can anyone help me?

I've been running into this problem there a re a few ways to reduce the ping but the best way is dead reckoning which I have no idea how to do just yet.

Although one way to lower it is if you use a server try to find a faster server and then mess around with how often data is sent. That's probably one of the first things you can do.

• Like 1

I don't think that dead reckoning would useful for a Sonic game. Because sonic can jump or spindash at any time - this cannot be predicted by DR system.

I've tried an unsecure sending system (blast text) and it removes lags... for one player. That means that one player can see actions of the other in real time without lag but the other one doesn't see his actions at all. I'll try to develop this method. Thanks though.

It's because Moo extensions use TCP (I don't know about MooSocket, though), which isn't really ideal for online games (It checks for errors while sending packets - If a packet didn't arrive, it'll send it again; While UDP doesn't care if the receiver will receive it or not), only if you're planning on doing a turn based game. Isn't a guy on the clickteam boards doing an extension that uses UDP? I think the extension's name is 'Oinc' or something. You should wait for that, if you don't want so much latency in your game's online mode.

• Like 1

I've managed to remove lags and bugs but another problem arrived.

Some people just don't see me when connected and some do. And reason is unknown. That's means that only about 50% of people can play online.

But still thanks for advice, I'll try it. (I thought that OINC is some sort of protocol for Moo before that)