A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The questions keep coming (MMF)

Airaxen

Someone will smack me for whining all the time. Well here's the problem this time.

I have a group of sprites. I want to make this sort of universal code for stuff like dying. So to initiate the death loop that sorts things out I have this little line of code. However if one person dies, then another one dies it doesn't register the second time only because the program doesn't realize something happened twice. I don't know how to make the initiating code general but specific enough to realize multiple deaths happen.

The code right now looks like this:

"group": internal flag 1 is off:

start death loop

At least that's the general gist of things.

What Lark said, only I'm going to give a little more detail...

We don't know how your engine is set up to handle things like checkpoints, lives, or anything else. We don't even really know if you should be using a loop to control your character's dying. The way Dami does it in Worlds doesn't use a loop for instance (though in some cases I can see it being useful, like for crushing).

Sometimes these things can be resolved just by subtracting a life and restarting the frame. More often than not, it's a little more complicated than that.

Well actually I seem to have found a workaround for this problem. But I just keep running into more bigger problems. I don't even know what's going on with the latest one.

So it's relevant I'm attempting to make an RPG engine rather than the regular platformer. It...Is much harder than I thought. I don't suppose there's something I can model off of or have someone tutor me along the way?