A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic GEDA (Redone)

Power Hedgehog

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG GEDA

Well for starters, I had gotten completely tired of the old engine. It was fairly difficult to work with as far as gimmick production and the code was just a mess. The SAGE 2008 demo was completely and utterly rushed, and I didn't have time to do everything I wanted to do with the engine.

I have been spending the last 5 months working on a new engine and also reading more documentation on GML, trying to expand my knowledge on Game Maker's scripting. I think it really paid off too; And I must say that I am pleased with what I have working here.

For the people who don't know this game, here's the main story:

"It is soley based off of Sonic 1/2/CD as far as game-play and stuff. Dr Eggman has created yet another huge fortress (GEDA EGG) which was formerly known as the Death Egg 2. It seemed that whatever he did to try and take over the world, Sonic and his friends were always there to stop him from collecting the emeralds. This time, Eggman isn't Sonic's only threat, as Metal Sonic is yet again after the chaos emeralds too, but is not being controlled by Eggman this time. So here it is, Sonic and his friends must stop Dr. Eggman from getting the emeralds, thus taking over the world, and also avoid Metal Sonic and prevent him from getting the emeralds. Will Sonic be able to save the world by getting the emeralds? Will Dr. Eggman finally dominate the world, or will Metal Sonic gather the emeralds and dominate the world on his own?"

VIDEOS:

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/technology_and_gaming/watch/v17541671GWJHNGDR

(This video is merely to show off the game's new engine base)

NEW ENGINE/GAME FEATURES:

Brand New 360 degree Engine

3 Characters - Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles with their own abilities

Many different gimmicks (which the old engine lacked)

8-Directional Movement (like the retro games)

Over 7 Zones (2 acts and 1 boss each)

Many bosses fights with both Eggman and Metal Sonic

FULL 3D SPECIAL STAGES (Yes! I finally learned Game Maker's 3D functions)

SCREENSHOTS: (If you can't view the video)

g1bp2.bmp

g2ly5.bmp

g3xk7.bmp

g4jl2.bmp

g5cd5.bmp

There it is in a nutshell.:) I will be updating frequently on new content such as level-wise and engine features as I add it. I have put way too much work in this for me to quit this project anymore so I WILL be finishing this. I also won't set a specific date for any demos just yet, but i feel that one is right around the corner.

• Like 1

Hey mate, do you mind using a different lamppost sprite? Because that's the XG one and it was made specifically for our game.

[qimg]http://www.christianwhitehead.com/RSXG08/RSXG_8.png[/qimg]

No prob, because I already changed it. I took those pics yesterday, and I changed it earlier today. I had gotten that sprite from that Sonic 4 open source engine over in the Game Maker Community, so whoever posted that engine is the one who had it. Sorry though.

That looks cool but...ground tiles from gloom valley are ugly for me (not the "grass") I mean the rest, despite being well made. Maybe with more brighness and more blue tones...

Cool anyway

His gloom valley art is straight from Knuckles Chaotix! It's the night-time version of Isolated island! And the BG is from a Sonic 3 multiplayer level. (I am not saying this is a bad idea considering my first game was all art from the original games)

His gloom valley art is straight from Knuckles Chaotix! It's the night-time version of Isolated island! And the BG is from a Sonic 3 multiplayer level. (I am not saying this is a bad idea considering my first game was all art from the original games)

I've played it years ago, i didnt remember xD