A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

What Linux Distro?

Guest Shadix

Guest Shadix

I think of posted a topic like this before... I'm fixing to format my computer (...AGAIN) and I intend to dualboot my PC with Linux and Windows (Wasen't possible last time due to a lot less HDD space. This time I have 250 more gbytes to work with.)

I want a distro that is good for dualbooting, and has been known to work decently under WINE and other Windows emulation applications.

I guess I have a question too in this... Is there some sort of application that would grant me access to an NTFS partition in Linux or an application that'll give me access to one Linux's many partition types in Windows? I'm debating how I should splice my HDDs up.

Ubuntu > Debian.

Learn Gentoo; you might have to compile everything, but you're more likely to have the latest version of ANYTHING compared to the people who use other distros.

Oh, and get with the program. Safe/semi-reliable NTFS write support has been around for a while (Gentoo PROTIP: euse -E fuse && emerge ntfsprogs)

Of course, if you have a dual AMD64X2 with 8GB of RAM, [edit: I wish people would, for he reason I cannot, get] all the ricey goodness you can out of Gentoo*

*exception being if you need a webserver set up in 10 minutes flat. Then I wouldn't blame you for using Debian.

Edited by BRPXQZME
In retrospect, wow uh... not a great opinion

Guest Shadix

I used to use Gentoo (harder is un understatement XP), I was just looking for a distro I might be able to have installed without having to print out an entire manual that takes a day to get through and spend the next day waiting for it to compile you Desktop Environment.

Someone on OCR recommended Mandriva, which I've done a tad bit of looking into. (I know it is what was once Mandrake) I've also heard alot of discussion back and forth about Ubuntu, and I'm still under the incentive that it isn't that good, even though alot of people have recommended it. I also did some reading on Debian and learned of the little issue with how up-to-date packages are from the main package server do to their quality package policy.

Also, someone pointed out Captive as far as Read/Write NTFS packages go. It works under Gentoo as I've been told but I'm not sure as far as Mandriva is concerned, although I'd presume it would.

Mandriva is ____ty. So is everything Redhat based. Including Fedora, CentOS (this server is CentOS ;]), and all the rest.

I don't know WHO told you ubuntu is ____ty. The only people who dislike Ubuntu are power-user gentoo ricer tweaker freaks and people who think they are cool.

I use Mandriva for my dev setup. I recommend getting the 2005 edition, and not 2006, as its less buggy. Its a excellent distro. It only took me 3 hours to setup a dev environment for dc, psp and ds. And that is with everything from the respective scene's primary svn. So, about 50-70 libraries. With Ubuntu, I spent almost 2 days ( It came with almost no dev tools installed )

EDIT: No, Mandriva is not ____ty. Its awesome

Guest Shadix

Ugh... This is aggravating... I'm try to partition my new 250gb HDD without using all the space for Linux because I need a majority for windows.

Well let's leave it at this, don't insult a distro unless you know your way around a linux terminal :)

I've been running linux on my dev machines for almost 4 years now. I didnt bother using X until a year ago. So dont think I dont know Linux. Ubuntu doesnt suit my needs, so I dont like it. Kubuntu is even more horrible. Debian and Mandriva are both awesome for development. But I use Mandriva atm on this machine. On Xbox I have a HDD which I run Gentoox (Xbox gentoo port), and a dd with Mandrive 2005 for xbox. I made some usb adapters for xbox, so I use keyboard and mouse. I also have 2 pc's which are dev only machines. One runs debian, and the other is currently without a OS (used to be Mandrake 8), which I'm going to install OS/2 Warp on for kicks :D