A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Strange speaker problem on my computer

DimensionWarped

I'm having a problem with my speakers right now. Every once in a while, the left side just cuts out. I've tried it with both speakers, and it's always just the one side. I've played with the jacks quite a bit, but no amount of rotating or anything really changes anything, and to make matters weirder, playing certain sounds always fixes the problem temporarily (such as the speaker test sound on the diagnostic tool)... I'm thinking the problem might be software related.

Any takers?

You using the default volume control, or some fancy stuff like "Realtek HD Audio Manager"?

I'm using the default volume control to mess with stuff, but yeah, my sound is controlled onboard and it's the whole Realtek HD audio shit.

Maybe I should try changing my the sound settings on my bios from the generic utility to the actual Realtek set.

Maybe I should try changing my the sound settings on my bios from the generic utility to the actual Realtek set.

Try that, since Realtek has the habit of destroying your sound unless you obey it. At least it did that on my old PC as well as this one.

Mine does the same actually. But it's more of a hardware issue, since moving the cable that links both speakers can fix it. Or turning up the volume until the left one sonic booms and resumes work.

I have the exact same issue actually.

I'm having a problem with my speakers right now. Every once in a while, the left side just cuts out. I've tried it with both speakers, and it's always just the one side. I've played with the jacks quite a bit, but no amount of rotating or anything really changes anything, and to make matters weirder, playing certain sounds always fixes the problem temporarily (such as the speaker test sound on the diagnostic tool)... I'm thinking the problem might be software related.

Any takers?

Cut the cable and solder a new one. From moving the cable and being pressed by other objects, they eventually get internally cut. It happened a lot to me, specially to my headphones (had to solder them twice already).

I've had plenty of headphones have similar problems, but what I don't get is the fact that certain sounds fix the issue temporarily. In any event, thanks. I'll try it.

Oh wait, wait. I didn't read the certain sound part. It's probably a software related issue, yes. Did you try reinstalling the drivers and see if there's any change?

If not, and you have a spare HD, make a clean install and test it. That way you'll know if it's a software issue or hardware.