A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

MMF2~Gimmick-Implementation(Help)

True_Sonic

Hi there, I need help once again.

I was thinking the other day "While playing SonicAdventureDX" that my game needs some more gimmmicks, I thought of one to Add but unfortunately I have no idea where to start. But I'll stat of by telling you what the gimmick is.

It's the Pannel-Jump gimmick From Emerald Coast.

I just simply can't think of a method or way to do this so any guidence, tutorial or any kind of help will be very apritiated and you'll also be credited.

~True_Sonic~

supposing you numbered them, you could always just set sonic's angle to face the next pad and set his X speed to (number) until he gets there. If you don't know how to calculate angles between 2 points, I believe LarkSS's Vector tutorial does it pretty nicely.

• Like 1

Not to advertise my work or anything, but I'd recommend taking a look at my NodeMovement example. The non-linear movement should make it easy to make convincing jumps from panel-to-panel, and since it works like path movement you don't have to worry about Sonic going off path.

• Like 1

supposing you numbered them, you could always just set sonic's angle to face the next pad and set his X speed to (number) until he gets there. If you don't know how to calculate angles between 2 points, I believe LarkSS's Vector tutorial does it pretty nicely.

Kinda overlooked your post at first. i-i Anyhow, this would be a more direct example on how to calculate the angle between two points:

http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/view.php?sec=4&id=170

Also, I'd recommend bookmarking this:

http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/view.php?sec=4&id=170

It's an example Taxman made on how to set the X and Y speeds of an object toward a point without using an angle function. ( This is more resource efficient and generally easier once you get the hang of it. )

If you still have trouble with this and really want to implement it, feel free to hit me up on aim when I'm free; I'm usually willing to lend a hand and I'll try to help you hands-off to avoid you having to send your source out.

<3 ayling btw