A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Help: Can't Get New Music to Work

Blue Emerald

Wow; it was not until just an hour ago that I realized just how much of a noob I am at this. :kbored: Clearly, if I can't get the music to work, I must have a lot to learn. I tried replacing the old music in the Sonic Worlds level with some new music, but it doesn't want to play (It's a .wav file, so it should have worked). I later replaced the channel commands (the ones concerning channel #32) with "Play sample 'BackgroundMusic' 0 times," thinking that would work, and I end up getting this grating version of the song that sounds like a machine shop.

Could someone help clarify what it is that I'm doing wrong?

[EDIT] OK, I've figured something out: whenever I try to play the song (I replace the test level music with the new music) it won't play. However, it will play whenever I click the Close button or pause the game. This is weird. It doesn't do any of this when I use the original test level music; it works just fine. It only does this when I replace it with the new music.

Why does that happen?

[EDIT] Also tried editing the boss music, but now even that music has that "machine shop" sound.

[EDIT] No, wait, I think I got it! :D I realized that one of the conditions hadn't been changed to the new boss music yet, which caused that "machine shop" effect to occur (Strange reason for it to occur, though). However, none of my music is on a channel right now, so I guess my problem may only be temporarily solved.

What's the importance of putting the music on channels, anyway? It just seems simpler to play the music without using a channel or setting up a frequency.

You could have made it a lot simpler if you went to the data elements window in the toolbar and just replaced the music there. =P Also, though it shouldn't have been the cause to the problem, I'd recommend getting rid of the frequency changes. It's only there as an example on how to modify the speed of music, but it's generally unnecessary.

• Like 1

You could have made it a lot simpler if you went to the data elements window in the toolbar and just replaced the music there. =P Also, though it shouldn't have been the cause to the problem, I'd recommend getting rid of the frequency changes. It's only there as an example on how to modify the speed of music, but it's generally unnecessary.

Thanks, Lark! :) Also, modifying the frequency doesn't seem to change its speed at all, but, you're right, it's pretty unnecessary. That is, unless I want to use it for the Power Sneakers, but I actually don't need to do that; I'm using a song for that.

+Rep

[EDIT] I tried testing the frequency again; it never speeds it up, but it can slow it down.

[EDIT] I tried testing the frequency again; it never speeds it up, but it can slow it down.

I believe if the default frequency for the song is 44100kHz, then MMF2 may not be able to speed it up due to it not being able to handle higher frequencies. I'm probably wrong. ^.^; Glad your problem is worked out in any case.