A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Ayling's Sonic Armageddon Music

Ayling

It's been a while since I posted here.

ZFG wanted someone to do Sonic Armageddon's Soundtrack, and being a music person, I decided that would try and do the game's music. Here's the result of about 2 hours of composing-

http://soniczenith.com/ayling/armageddonmusic/desert.mp3

Probably going to change some of it, as he said he wants it to sound more speedy, but nevertheless, what do you guys think of it?

Don't quantify your compositions with the time it took you to compose them. The guitar sounding instrument is very harsh.

Also, the line that instrument is playing sounds like it's in Phrygian, a minor-based mode, and it's playing over a predominantly major chord progression. Granted, you are using bVI and bVII mode mixture chords, but the main problem is that the b3 step of the Phrygian line clashes pretty hard with the third in your tonic major chord. Another related problem is that the b2 scale step clashes with the third of the bVII chord. I think those minor second relationships are what's making the piece not come together as well as it should.

The song not sounding "fast" (Which I assume means upbeat, energetic, etc) could be easily remedied by writing more natural and more involved percussion parts. One trick that I do with percussion is vary the note velocities up to sort of give it a pseudo-human feel.

The horn line that comes in is very meandering, and as a result, distracting. It sounds like you just clicked some notes in without thinking too much about it.

How's that for constructive feedback?

Don't quantify your compositions with the time it took you to compose them. The guitar sounding instrument is very harsh.

Also, the line that instrument is playing sounds like it's in Phrygian, a minor-based mode, and it's playing over a predominantly major chord progression. Granted, you are using bVI and bVII mode mixture chords, but the main problem is that the b3 step of the Phrygian line clashes pretty hard with the third in your tonic major chord. Another related problem is that the b2 scale step clashes with the third of the bVII chord. I think those minor second relationships are what's making the piece not come together as well as it should.

The song not sounding "fast" (Which I assume means upbeat, energetic, etc) could be easily remedied by writing more natural and more involved percussion parts. One trick that I do with percussion is vary the note velocities up to sort of give it a pseudo-human feel.

The horn line that comes in is very meandering, and as a result, distracting. It sounds like you just clicked some notes in without thinking too much about it.

How's that for constructive feedback?

Whoa. :P I needed to think about the way you labeled chords there for a second.

1. I'll look into changing the melody the harpsichord is playing, and I'll try and soften it too.

2. Yeah, the percussion part was sort of thrown in at the end, so I can hear what you mean.

3. Do you mean the slower part or the fast part? The fast part is almost exclusively arpeggios save a few transitions. if you mean the first few measures that are slower, I can sort of see where you're coming from.

I love when someone who really knows a lot about a subject can give more specific advice. =D