A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Valkyria Chronicles

ila

is awesome. Really it is!

Granted when I first turned it on and saw the SEGA logo, I got a little scared, but my fears were quickly alleviated as the game went on. The narrator's voice is soothing and concise, the actual animated cutscenes look amazing, and the English voice work is pretty damn good. Loading times are low, and drop even lower if you do the optional 4gb install.

Graphically the game is absolutely beautiful. The Canvas engine not so much, since it looks like a photoshop filter, but the models and environments are beautiful. The actual gameplay itself is the mix of strategy/shooter I was expecting. The first time you see the field map zoom down to the action, you will be hooked. Hopefully.

Experience gained is put in a pool at the end of each battle, and you allocate it to one of your five classes, scout, shocktrooper, engineer, lancer, or sniper. That way, when new characters join the party, there is no need to level them up. Each of the 35 recruitable characters I've met so far has their own backstory and personality, which is a really nice touch, especially compared to the deadpan personality of a certain Princess in a certain game that sucked. Lets see...

Well since classes level together, the main variation between characters is their "Potential." Potentials are certain perks that each character has that tend to increase or decrease one of their stats when conditions are met. One such potential is "Country Bred" which increases accuracy on dirt roads. Others can involve whether a character is gay, allergic, etc etc. Also, each character has certains characters that he or she gets along with, increase the power of team attacks.

Equipment can be upgraded between battles. While occasionally you will find enemy equipment that can be equipped, the main generic weapons are the ones that you will continually upgrade on a linear upgrade tree using funds. Same goes with tank upgrades, except you need to place them on a 3x4 grid and manage them with that.

My only real complaint right now is that the game can be unforgiving if you screw up, or rather, just are not familiar with the strategy. Also some characters movement per turn feels more restricted than it needs to be, making it hard to move the army on your turn.

Still, I'm enjoying Valkyria alot, even if fucking gamestop didn't get me my artbook... fuckers.

Yes I know I'm rambling, but if you have a PS3, buy the damn game. Now. If it wasn't for the impending Persona 4, I'd call this my GOTY pick.

Today I wanted to add money to my "internet purchases card" after seeing the doctor.

They had me waiting FIVE HOURS at the hospital. Banks are closed now, will have to import tomorrow :<

Although it's not like that'll save me from waiting a shitload of time for the game to arrive (buying from the UK). I still have to recieve Dead Space...

I've played the demo of this game. It was alright. Takes a little getting used too. Personally I'm more interested in sonic unleashed, but i do plan on eventually picking up this game when funds are more available. I already have a ton of shooter like games for my ps3. I'd like something with less guns now.

Its your choice, but it really isn't a shooter as much as shooting just happens to be part of the battle system. Its not the trigger happy gun halo fest, its just aim and then fire a few shots.

I'm aware. I've played the game. I just have other titles I'm more interested in. Namely, Resistance 2, Little Big planet, Mirrors edge and sonic Unleashed. But I will eventually pic this title up. I liked the cameos with Vyse and Aika from Skies of Arcadia.

A few friends of mine with PS-triples were talking about this game while we were waiting for an early morning Q train...

Apparantly, they said its an extremely fun game with probably the most content time of this generation...

One guy's been playing everything including the optional stuff and already took around 68-70 hours with a lot more of the main quest to go...

I'll have to play it sometime... and it's a pity I missed that great PS3 deal on Woot the other day during the wootoff...

So I attained some extra money last week and had enough to import, which I finally did on Wednesday. Game arrived today. And last Saturday I acquired a HDTV (monitor actually) out of fucking nowhere. Perfect combo!

Sweet Jesus on a pogo stick. This is absolutely fantastic and I'd be playing all day long if I hadn't got a course to assist.

Soooo tempted to call in and say I'm indisposed