A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[MMF2] V-Sync enabling & Display Modes

For the longest, I've been wondering if V-sync is the preferred option to check while playing. It provides a very nice smooth scrolling effect since it synchronizes with your screen refresh rate, resulting in less choppy scrolling.

Although this is good and all, I've heard that on Windows XP, V-sync causes a slow-motion effect. I set my game to 60 FPS with V-sync enabled, and it looks great and all, but when I put it on my older windows xp computer, it runs at 30 FPS slow motion.

the MB consumption in the debugger is only 50-70MB max, so I highly doubt it's taking up too much memory. Most people have over 520 MB RAM anyway. Since my older XP is currently unavailable right now, I'm wondering if setting the frame rate to 60 + vsync=slow motion, or frame rate doesn't matter + vsync=slow motion regardless. OR, is it because I'm using Direct X for display mode

or basically, what are your experiences with v-sync & display modes.

currently it's

WindowFrame: 500 x 300

Framerate: 60

Display Mode: Direct X

V-Sync enabled

MB usage: 50-70(depends on how many objects are "loaded on call" in the frame)

V-Sync is, as you described, a wait for vertical refresh sync. Its purpose is to stop the tear lines though, not provide "smooth scrolling". It has a significant performance impact on almost any system due to the way it works, but enabling Triple Buffering helps (and requires more VRAM).

Personally I've never liked the way MMF/2 implements it. The end-user should have the option to enable and disable it, and I'm pretty sure Clickteam still hasn't made a system variable that can be modified during runtime to allow this. Honestly, just keep it turned off for safety and if someone wants it they can use their driver control panel to force it. (in DirectX)

Also note that on most digital displays (like LCD) vsync has almost no visual benefit.