A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Can someone give me an update on things? Oh, and hi.

Cyber Rat

In America, we call those "minors". :)

So, you're a linguistics type? Are you planning on translating for an international organization or something? Sounds pretty cool...I don't think my mind could keep that many languages straight though. How do you do it?

(I'd said "Welcome back", but to be honest I don't remember you very well, so it wouldn't be very sincere)

^Ultra Sonic Corps, right? XD

Well, yeah, you could call me a linguistic type, I've got Serbian, English and German in my repertoire, and all thanks to TV! XD And yeah, I'm planning on translating for an international organization, or some larger company. I think it's doable with 4 languages (if I manage to learn Japanese, I have 500 DVDs with 24 anime fansub episodes each that should help me a little).

I have a question that's been bothering me for a while. On the old SFGHQ forum, swearing/racism and whatnot was prohibited, I think people even got banned for using the word "gay" instead of homosexual (and I dared not think what would happen if you were to say the word for sexual intercourse). So, when was this rule removed and why, if anybody remembers?

^Ultra Sonic Corps, right? XD

Wow. Well, now I feel like a jerk. :)

Learned it all from TV? That's impressive; I've always wondered how people can do that. I guess it's just a way of thinking?

Yeah, I've been kinda curious about removal of the swear filter myself. It happened at least a year or so ago, during one of my periodic disappearances from here. :)

Wow. Well, now I feel like a jerk. :)

Don't, I just remember your post explaining it because it made me laugh for a whole week. If I recall correctly, you had just finished S3&K and saw the whole "Hyper Sonic" thing, and after that you saw a show about some marines/soldiers or whatever and the term "Corps" so you combined it all into Ultra Sonic Corps, or something like that?

Learned it all from TV? That's impressive; I've always wondered how people can do that. I guess it's just a way of thinking?

Well, I'm not sure if you could call it a way of thinking or talent, it just came natural. If somebody asked me how to learn a language, I could only tell them to watch TV and hope for the best.

Because gay and sex are legitimate words and nothing's wrong with them.

Well, like I said, earlier you couldn't use words like gay, fuck, screw, nigga, bitch, and I don't know what else. I think the only tolerable thing was "damn".

Man old school, good to hear you're doing well cyber rat.

People bitched about the language filter we had on this new board and they decided to take it off.

Just got hit by another nostalgic bomb: I remember spoiling the suitless Samus in the Metroid remake for the GBA for you. XD

Guest Shadix
Man old school, good to hear you're doing well cyber rat.

People bitched about the language filter we had on this new board and they decided to take it off.

Now the only things that are censored are Mr. Worm's web domain and I think ___got. (edit: was right)

Now the only things that are censored are Mr. Worm's web domain and I think ___got. (edit: was right)

Edit2: ...and apparantly the appropriate spelling of nigga. Oddly enough other fun derogative words like spic and wetback are not.

Apologies Sire, not all of the staff is as well versed as you are in deragatory crap nobody wants to deal with.

Guest Shadix
Apologies Sire, not all of the staff is as well versed as you are in deragatory crap nobody wants to deal with.

If you call trying to abuse the word filter for 2 minutes to test to see whether it was disabled or not being well-versed in "derogatory crap", then sure.

Sereph: I suppose your right, in Texas you hear those words fly by almost as much as the n word, so naturally those were the first words to come to mind to test. Honestly though, I thought the Mexican invasion was more widespread. :E