A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Clean my comp.

Aerosol

It's one of these threads again. Sorry guys.

I just need proggies I can use to give my comp the best spring cleaning short of a reformat that it can get. And if there are any disk defraggers that are better than the windows one, I'd like to know about it. Thanks guys.

I use a few things to keep my Windows system clean... aside from trying to keep it clean in the first place...

Crapcleaner (ccleaner) is pretty good at cleaning up crap that you don't need...

http://www.ccleaner.com/

For defragging, I use Perfect Disk, though technically it's not free, it does a much better job than the Windows built in defragger... It's highest level defrag mode arranges files such that the ones that are least modified are towards the 'front' of the disc and the ones that are heavily modified towards the end, where file modifications won't be written in a fragmented mess as often...

And spybot is great at removing crapware that sneaks on your system...

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Other than that, cleaning (deleting) the Windows/prefetch/ folder like once every few months.

How about instead of formatting your drive, you get a new one?

Also go through your programs folder and your registry keys and clean out everything you don't use or need.

Because it's always good to format your primary hard drive once every year if not every six months purely for the purpose of keeping Windows from degrading into a rotten pile of shit.

Diskeeper is my favorite defrag tool out there. I believe you can download a trial from the Diskeeper Corporation website, but it is SO worth purchasing if you have the money. Fantastic product.

ssbfalcon recommended Spybot, and I'm going to reinforce that recommendation by adding my own. Another great tool.

Also, I know you're looking for upkeep and maintenance tools, but if you're a Firefox user, I highly recommend you download NoScript. Using this with Firefox, I have not had Spybot detect ANY spyware on my computer in the past 5 months.