A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Freedom Planet

S0LV0

fp_preview.1.jpg

Freedom Planet is a stylish platform adventure that pits a ridiculously fast dragon girl and her friends against an alien invasion force. There's trouble around every turn, from insects to giant robots to sheer explosive destruction, but you'll have a variety of special abilities to deal with each challenge.

I haven't gotten the chance to finish the demo myself, but from what I know, Freedom Planet has very Sonic-inspired roots; from similar set pieces right down to the ability to roll upon pressing down. As they say in their FAQ however, a game with similar physics and gameplay hadn't been made in recent years, but there were many other Sonic-inspired games in the past.

As Lilac the Dragon Girl, your momentum is your greatest weapon. Build up energy by running really fast, then unleash it to fly through the air like a comet!

As Carol the Wildcat, bust through foes with a flurry of punches and kicks and use jump pads to warp yourself around the stages.

As of right now, all that's available is a demo with two playable characters and a single level (I think), but the creators are trying to get the game on Steam via the Greenlight system. I put my vote in to see it happen, and I hope that the creators can get their game out there.

As far as the full game is concerned, they've promised the following content:

• Colorful retro-styled stages that seamlessly mix high speed chases with platforming and exploration
  • Smooth 360-degree physics with slopes, curves and loops
  • An engaging Story Mode with fully voiced cutscenes
  • A streamlined Classic Mode for players who just want to focus on the action
  • Tons of quirky boss enemies that are never the same between stages
  • Five elemental shields that reflect specific attacks and provide cool benefits
  • Unlockable bonuses, including mini-games, special features and unused artwork and music

I myself am probably gonna finish up the demo soon, as well as try the second character, Carol. I'm enjoying the game so far, although of all the Sonic elements to take inspiration from, I sort of wish they had included the spindash. I guess that'd be pushing it, but either way I think Freedom Planet is well worth checking out and supporting!

• Like 1

I'm a little annoyed that they had to request funding for this. I can't see myself paying for a fangame - especially not one priced at a whopping $10. That's more than most mobile games, including the bigger ones.

It's an inconvenience to you that they want to seek some sort of profit for their hard work? You might not be willing to pay for it, but there are plenty of people who would.

It's an inconvenience to you that they want to seek some sort of profit for their hard work? You might not be willing to pay for it, but there are plenty of people who would.

It has nothing to do with inconvenience. Why would I pay for a product that looks worse than something I can get for cheaper?

And before you start going on about hard work, I've seen games made by one or two people that look better, using their own engine and source code. They are obviously not working that hard if they couldn't even finish it before begging for funds on Kickstarter.

The fact that people are so defensive about what is essentially an MMF fangame makes it even harder for me to take this seriously.