A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

DOH! Filesize issues...

Sockman

So I'm making headway on my demo for Sonic Blitz, but I have one small problem.

filesizejm1.png

That's for one level...an incomplete one...

But is that the uncompressed size? Does it get compressed a fair amount when put into an executable?

I'm pretty sure most people aren't going to want to download a 60+ MB demo.

If the size in the picture IS the final size, then is there a good way I could go about reducing file size?

Please and thank you.

I'm not sure if that'll be the final size, but Sonic XG ran at around 32mb which was the combined size of the .exe, sprite folder and music folder.

Can't think of any reason why yours would be so high though, unless you're using alot of mp3s and such throughout?

I don't think that's the filesize... That's the memory currently in use by the frame. It's probably because you have a lot of objects (382)... They may have a lot of animations, too.

Are you using many rotation effects? MMF stores the rotationed image of each object instance, so it can perform pixel perfect collisions on rotated objects... That may be it.

I'm not sure if that'll be the final size, but Sonic XG ran at around 32mb which was the combined size of the .exe, sprite folder and music folder.

Can't think of any reason why yours would be so high though, unless you're using alot of mp3s and such throughout?

I'm using the .ogg format for the music, however, there are alot of unused sound files however, and I don't know how I can go about deleting them.

I don't think that's the filesize... That's the memory currently in use by the frame. It's probably because you have a lot of objects (382)... They may have a lot of animations, too.

Are you using many rotation effects? MMF stores the rotationed image of each object instance, so it can perform pixel perfect collisions on rotated objects... That may be it.

It's the Sonic Worlds engine, so MMF has all the rotated images of Sonic and Super Sonic. The layer-system for loops and such also takes up a fair amount of active objects.

I suppose I can find out what the file size really is by compiling it into an executable.

The number in the debugger indicates the RAM in use, when you create the executable the filesize will be smaller. I'm not sure how much, though.

If you have unused .ogg files inside MMF's Data Elements, delete all actions that play these sounds, save the application & reload. MMF will delete any samples without events.