A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Small RPG Engine

Ayling

Nice, and I believe the collision is near perfect. But somethings I notice do need touching up: Buttons and layout. If you hold down left arrow and then press the right arrow, you start going right. However if you do it the other way, you still go right. Something you should just touch up on. Also layout, if your doing behind building stuff, I didnt like that brown block at the left side of it, because you had to move up anyway to get past the gap. Anyway, good so far. Keep it up. (Rep +)

That's pretty good, but the collision detection can be better, though.

I believe I should make a value "collision" on each sensor, and it collision =1, stop and stuff. I get you. Amesuki, layout was a 5 second thing, because I just needed somewhere to show it. And gsoft, credit me if you use it. I should edit it into a crackers engine and submit it...

• Like 1

You can submit it without adding in Sonic graphics. I personally prefer it without it as it doesn't make people think it's for Sonic games only.

Edit: Gave it a try. For the first from-scratch engine you've ever made, this shows that you have a very decent understanding of MMF2. Nice job; it furfilled its purpose very well.

Just like I always do, I'll mention some ways to improve it:

-My guess is when Zenor mentioned improving collision, he didn't mean values ( they're only for making things easier ), he meant that the sensors should push you out of the walls. If I creep into the little space to the right of the starting place, I can get the square to slightly overlap the wall since the right sensor doesn't check the entire side of the mask. I'm not saying to make it longer, but if the sensors are on top of a wall, push you out of it. Nothing should work differently doing this if you position the wall sensors inside the mask ( 1 pixel in ) after implementing this.

-I noticed a loop running 1000 times without any reason to. An always event would do the exact same thing. A loop should be used for something like if you were moving 5 pixels at a time instead of 1 and wanted to check for walls every pixel inbetween. You'd set the loop to 5 and on the loop, move the mask one pixel if no collision exists.

-I see you used an active object to make the building on top of the player. This is ok, but it can be a backdrop if you just place it in a layer above the player ( like you did with the info text ).

Hope any of that helps and good luck with this. =)

Yeah, of course I'll give credit, even though, for the current engine test I'll leave it with the buggy engine I made.

Pretty neat indeed. There's only one thing missing: the other characters that follow you. Check out the RPFG engine test, it's buggy, but it works.

Lark- The person I am working with uses mmf1.5, which doesn't work with layers. I added the credit as an extra. And I'll pull the fastloop then. And I don't quite get what you mean about pushing out. Do you mean- if topsensor is overlapping and mask is overlapping, set ypos to ypos+1?