A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic After the Sequel

S0LV0

This game is so much better than it's prequel it's not even funny. I've played ATS like 3-5 times now and still go back to it. It's that great. I still need to find the hidden easter eggs! Has anyone spotted the Freedom Planet cameo in Storm Station? Or found the hidden puzzle in Parhelion Peak that unlocks Debug Mode?

• 3 weeks later...

Right so. I've been playing this game a lot and have decided to write up a review for it during my last playthrough.

Presentation

ATS is nothing short of beauty for a sprite based game. All the levels are unique and the sprites themselves are full of life. Nothing like the static pieces Sega gave us for the original Trilogy.

The cutscenes are good for the most part. But some of the animated pixel art they used is really zoomed in and can look ugly at times. Some cutscenes also don't use the full screen, so we're often left with pasted textures or a plain white background for the parts of the screen that go unused.

Sound

The sound for this game is fantastic. The soundtrack is amazing, I find myself listening to it everyday.

My favourites specifically are KgZ's "Crumbstepping" for Sugar Splash Act 3, Mr. Lange's Sugar Splash 16 bit and the Lava Powerhouse remix, Funk Fiction's Wolf Rayet and Red Moon. The entirety of Andy's Moon Mansion. And of course, who could forget Falk's kickass "World's Largest Pogostick" ! :D

All the tracks are beautiful. While BTS had a few hit and miss tracks, there's not one track in ATS that I dislike. Even tracks I used to hate before grew on me and became favourites. The soundteam have really outdone themselves this time around. Really sad to see them go after putting on such an outstanding performance for this game!

Gameplay

Okay so...the gameplay is good for the most part. It's definetly a massive step foward from Before the Sequel, I'll give it that. Psychics aren't 1:1 but who cares about that? You'll rarely run into instances where badniks are in your path, so go nuts. The running animation is cooler uncurled.

Level design is good for the most part. But there are sections which don't make it clear what you're supposed to do next or where to go. There are a few flaws where you can get stuck which I will explain later. The secret final boss is fun for the most part, but I can see how it would frustrate some people.

Now for the flaws...

The flaws are very glaring. It's almost like the game punishes you for using Super Sonic. There are parts in Redhot Ride that require the Flame Shield to get to the next area, so if you activate Super Sonic during those parts you're forced to stand there until your Rings drop.

Then there's this little gem in Technology Tree....

33ldzip.png

That badnik there will ruin your life. It can even hurt Super Sonic. And makes UFO chases aggrivating.

There is one specific glitch that still hasn't been fixed that carries over from BTS. Every now and then there's a lag/slow down glitch that makes Sonic or Tails super slow and it's really annoying. It makes levels twice as long to complete because of it. There's no way of fixing it either. It comes and goes randomly. Worst of all? It can trigger in special stages.

So there you have it. A good, potentially great Sonic fangame that just need a little more development time/bug testing. Overall you can get through the game okay for the most part, but once those bugs kick in you'll be ripping your hair out.

7.0 for a playthrough with bugs. 8.0/8.5 for a bug free run.

• Like 1

Yeah, Sonic After the Sequel is definitely a game I intend to play :D . After listening to the nice soundtrack and looking at pictures of the graphics I was impressed. Making a game is hard enough without trying to capture a Video game legend in the process. But the fans who made Sonic after the sequel were definitely successful.

Now I know this is off topic, but I cant find a post where I can find an answer to my question. Are there any other fan games out there with Soundtracks? I've become very interested in the music of the Sonic community because the fans are making some great music out there.

Yeah, Sonic After the Sequel is definitely a game I intend to play :D . After listening to the nice soundtrack and looking at pictures of the graphics I was impressed. Making a game is hard enough without trying to capture a Video game legend in the process. But the fans who made Sonic after the sequel were definitely successful.

Now I know this is off topic, but I cant find a post where I can find an answer to my question. Are there any other fan games out there with Soundtracks? I've become very interested in the music of the Sonic community because the fans are making some great music out there.

Not sure. Before the Sequel and After the Sequel are the only ones I know of OST so far.

A new upcoming fan game I'm working on titled "The Sonic Legend" has an original soundtrack in the works. There's a couple of tracks up at the moment.

Apart from that, I'm not sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...