A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Star Wars

Felix

500px-Star_Wars_Logo.svg.png

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."

Star Wars is an American space opera/sci-fi franchise created no other than the man known as George Lucas. Starting with the film simply known as Star Wars (later to be renamed as A New Hope), released in the May of 1977 across 32 theaters, breaking numerous box office records, and gaining massive critical acclaim. The film became one of the first blockbuster films, and today had grossed over $760 million worldwide when not adjusted for inflation, and when it is, it is the third-highest grossing film worldwide. The original film was notable for its incredible use of special effects and CGI, which of those were much ahead of its time, along with it's stellar fantasy/science fiction storytelling. It's come to say that the original Star Wars is considered revolutionary, and one of the most successful and influential films of all time, later winning numerous Academy Awards, even having a place in the American Film Institute. The success of the first film spawned two sequels, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of The Jedi, released in 1980 and 1983 respectively. Both sequels were commercial and critical successes, with many considering The Empire Strikes Back to be the greatest science fiction film of all time, whilst considering Return Of The Jedi to be the weakest film of the original trilogy. The original trilogy consisting of the three films shows the Rebel Alliance attempting to overthrow the tyranny of the First Galactic Empire, led by Sith lords Palpatine and Darth Vader, with their incredibly lethal Death Star (which is capable of destroying an entire planet, later being rebuilt in V and VI), along with the help of a farm boy named Luke Skywalker, going on a mission with former Jedi master Obi-Wan/Ben Kenobi, and the rebel leader Princess Leia to save the galaxy, and free it from the Galactic Empire.

220px-StarWarsMoviePoster1977.jpg220px-SW_-_Empire_Strikes_Back.jpg220px-ReturnOfTheJediPoster1983.jpg

Later on, the Star Wars movie went to spawn a massive multimedia franchise outside of film, including cartoons, books, video games, toys, and comic books. Since 2012, all six films in the series including the theatrical Clone Wars film released in 2008 totaled up $4.49 billion worldwide, making it the third highest-grossing film franchise of all time. 16 years after the release of Return of The Jedi, a prequel trilogy was begun with the film, Episode I: The Phantom Menace in order to show the events leading up to the original trilogy. After massive hype, the movie was released in 1999. While it gained lukewarm reception, but went to eventually become the highest grossing Star Wars film of all-time un-adjusted for inflation, grossing $1 billion worldwide. Two other films, Episode II: Attack of The Clones and Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith followed in 2002 and 2005, with II getting more positive reception, and III becoming the second highest-grossing Star Wars film, totaling at over $850 million worldwide, and becoming the 3rd highest rated film in the franchise, considered by critics and fans alike to be the strongest of the prequels, and the best Star Wars film since The Empire Strikes Back. A sequel trilogy, taking place after the original trilogy, will begin once Episode VII is released in 2015, with episodes VIII and IX following at 2 to 3 year intervals.

220px-Star_Wars_Phantom_Menace_poster.jpStar_Wars_-_Episode_II_Attack_of_the_Clo220px-Star_Wars_Episode_III_Revenge_of_t

I must say, this franchise was my childhood. Ever since watching Episode I on DVD once with my family years ago, I was captivated by the action sequences and the characters, and even going on to later see the original trilogy, and Episode II on DVD. I remember watching numerous trailers for Episode III, eager with anticipation and happiness, and then, sadly missing out on it due to the fact it was PG-13, and I was 6 at the time of it's release. I collected numerous toys, watched the Clone Wars cartoon on Cartoon Network by Genndy Tartakovsky, and I always wanted the latest lightsaber toy or Star Wars book. It would be safe to say back then, Star Wars was my addiction. Though, I eventually lost track of it, and I slowly started getting back in the franchise when I finally got to see Episode III in 2009 on DVD, and I was amazed.

I also got to watch the more recent The Clone Wars on Cartoon Network (and still do time to time), and loved it. On terms of the prequels, after getting to recently marathon them last weekend, I am not fond of I or II anymore (though both had shining moments), though I still see III as my favorite Star Wars movie next to V. And I still see the original trilogy as something special, three simple masterpieces of filming. One thing I forgot to mention, the score for Star Wars films by John Williams

And it's only a small speck still out of the many great tracks in the franchise. How were you introduced to the franchise in any way (if at all), what are some of your favorite characters and moments from the films, and what are some things you get outside of the franchise, such as books/comics or video games?
  • Like 4

I own a few games from the series. The lego games were pretty good.

I haven't seen any of the movies though. Perhaps one day I will.

Whoa dude. I was one of those people up until about two years. Do yourself a favor and watch the original three at least. 

I'm more a casual fan of Star Wars nowadays. The movies weren't half-bad considering, but it is mostly the games from which I derive fondness for the franchise to this day.

Star Wars Republic Commando

Star_Wars_-_Republic_Commando_Coverart.p

Star Wars Battlefront II

StarWarsBattlefront2_PC.jpg

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

230px-KOTOR_II.jpg

Some of the most memorable and enjoyable gaming experiences I have ever had were with the above titles. Any Star Wars fans who are gamers, I would advise to give some of them a try. Specifically, fans of tactical/squad-based shooters should give Republic Commando a go, fans of all-out class-based warfare need to play Battlefront, and any RPG fans may be satisfied with Knights of the Old Republic (Other than, from what I've heard, a spectacularly ridiculous ending.)

All three are available on the original Xbox, and are backwards compatible with the X360.

• 2 months later...

...I've never seen any of the Star Wars. Space-themed dramas just don't appeal to me. :P It's worth giving it a try though.

Same goes for fantasy stories like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. These stories get a little too deep for me to handle with very few exceptions (The Walking Dead). I'd rather take a simple and fun story than an incredibly dramatic one any day.