A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed General Discussion

Stritix

What do you think of the recently released Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed? I'm personally having a blast with it. I don't think it's quite as good as the first, but it's still great. My most used character is Shadow. I can't say what my favourite track is as I haven't played them all yet.

I own it for the Wii U. Just send me a personal message if you'd like to race sometime.

I currently own it for the X360, and must say it is a marked improvement over the original. Then again, I'm a sucker for transformation mechanics in games. The other main element of the game which stood out to me was the race tracks. Aesthetically pleasing and varied, and many of them evolving over the course of the race; there is some fantastic level design here. Currently, Shadow is my most played, with Knuckles as the primary reserve, (On the off-chance that some cretin dares take Shadow before I do.), as I simply adore the designs of his vehicle forms.

As far as character unlocks go, I wouldn't worry. They aren't arduous to attain or game-breaking. At least, not from what I've seen.

My biggest issue is the scorching difficulty! I'm not bad at the game, but man I'm not perfect. I was hoping I'd at least be able to knock out all the Achievements like I did with the first game, but man this game punishes me, haha. I still think it's finely crafted and I agree that the tracks really stood out to me in the game. So much SEGA goodness. The only track I'm not so big on is the Burning Rangers track, not the theme but the layout. Race of Ages gets some very narrow-above-bottomless-pits sections as well, but I guess that's par for the course (teehee) on final tracks.

I was kind of interested at first, but I didn't like the direction Sumo (and the community) was going, so I avoided getting this game. I might pick it up someday, after the price has dropped and the "release window hype" has died down. I remember an Android/iOS version being mentioned at one point, so I might get that if/when it's available.

Just curious, but what direction is that?

Well, there are a couple of things. I feel like SEGA was trying too hard to sell this game, as in the same way EA is trying too hard to sell The Sims these days.

666152256945front.jpg

Well, maybe not that hard, but you get the idea. I felt like they were trying to market it to a very specific crowd, one that does not include me. I also felt like the game had a lot of hype around it, and that kind of thing makes me a little nervous these days, after being disappointed by several big-budget titles that couldn't live up to it. I feel like people are calling it the best racing game ever, even though kart racers generally aren't as big as sandbox or other driving games. When I started comparing it to other driving games that were coming out at the same time like NFS Most Wanted or Forza Horizon, it did seem like people were just overhyping and overselling it. That made me a little annoyed.

Then I realized I already have two very similar games, Blur and Banjo N&B, which both seem bigger and more original/"natural", I guess? I feel like the recent Sonic and Mario games have had this strange artificial feeling to them, almost like they are playing by some kind of rulebook. The game still looks good, but it doesn't seem to do anything I haven't seen before. I also don't really play my consoles very much anymore, so there's that.

Well, there are a couple of things. I feel like SEGA was trying too hard to sell this game, as in the same way EA is trying too hard to sell The Sims these days.

Trying too hard to sell the game? Ignoring the fact that this doesn't actually infringe on the quality of the game itself anyway, they're currently undergoing a financial crisis. More importantly, however, define 'trying too hard', what exactly did they do that makes their efforts to sell the game seem so sinister?

I felt like they were trying to market it to a very specific crowd, one that does not include me.

It did have a very specific target audience; SEGA fans, who happen to enjoy kart racers.

I also felt like the game had a lot of hype around it, and that kind of thing makes me a little nervous these days, after being disappointed by several big-budget titles that couldn't live up to it.

Based on observation, most of the hype leading up to release was generated by the fans themselves. Also, it is hardly fair to use your past disappointments as a crutch for your complaint. At the expense of sounding rude, it is entirely the fault of the individual as to whether he or she allows him/herself to be drawn in by hype. It's something you have to learn to deal with. However, a game receiving hype is also not an entirely logical reason to avoid it, and again, does not actually reflect the quality of the game at all.

I feel like people are calling it the best racing game ever, even though kart racers generally aren't as big as sandbox or other driving games. When I started comparing it to other driving games that were coming out at the same time like NFS Most Wanted or Forza Horizon, it did seem like people were just overhyping and overselling it. That made me a little annoyed.

I'm trying to understand what you are actually complaining about, but this post simply leads me to believe that you have something against this game in particular, because your complaints thus far seem unfounded and illogical, and have absolutely nothing to do with the game itself. How were they 'overhyping' and 'overselling' the game? Also, what people are you talking about here, the developers? The fanbase?

Then I realized I already have two very similar games, Blur and Banjo N&B, which both seem bigger and more original/"natural", I guess? I feel like the recent Sonic and Mario games have had this strange artificial feeling to them, almost like they are playing by some kind of rulebook. The game still looks good, but it doesn't seem to do anything I haven't seen before. I also don't really play my consoles very much anymore, so there's that.

...playing by some sort of rulebook? Every game follows a pre-defined selection of mechanics, all games in existence conform to a set of rules. Your complaint of artificiality seems entirely arbitrary.

• Like 1

Perfect Calamity, you are literally proving my point, word for word.

If people weren't so defensive about this game, I wouldn't be so reluctant to try it. Even though I said the game looks good and I might try it someday, you still chose to be offended because I didn't go out and get it right away. It's the same kind of bandwagoning that pushed me away in the first place. Is it really a crime to be more interested in other driving games, or simply like it without liking it enough to get it asap? It looks good, for a kart racer. Beyond that though, it still just looks like another kart racer to me.

It did have a very specific target audience; SEGA fans, who happen to enjoy kart racers.

More specific, but it's not worth getting into.

...playing by some sort of rulebook? Every game follows a pre-defined selection of mechanics, all games in existence conform to a set of rules. Your complaint of artificiality seems entirely arbitrary.

That's not what I mean.

They seem "artificial" in the same sense that Batman & Robin feels artificial compared to Batman 1989 and Batman Returns. Like they are trying, but not really trying. Like they aren't really having as much fun coming up with ideas and making them as they used to. I guess the Sims 3 example kind of works here too.

Perfect Calamity, you are literally proving my point, word for word.

That's an interesting stance to take, considering my post doesn't prove you're right in any way.

If people weren't so defensive about this game, I wouldn't be so reluctant to try it.

I'm not being defensive, I'm simply attacking your sense of logic regarding it, because it is faulty. Even so, the fact that people become defensive about the game shouldn't affect your judgment as to whether the game is actually worth playing or not.

Even though I said the game looks good and I might try it someday, you still chose to be offended because I didn't go out and get it right away.

Considering I'm not offended in the slightest, your accusation loses its luster. I'm not interested in the slightest how soon you decide to get the game, or even if you decide to get it at all; don't be so ego-centric. I'm simply pointing out why your reasoning is flawed, and hoping to generate some discussion in the process.

It's the same kind of bandwagoning that pushed me away in the first place. Is it really a crime to be more interested in other driving games, or simply like it without liking it enough to get it asap? It looks good, for a kart racer. Beyond that though, it still just looks like another kart racer to me.

What 'bandwagoning?' At no point during my post did I actually say that the game was good. Drop this pitiful illusion that I'm just some rabid fan trying to unjustly defend the game, because that's not what's happening here. No, it isn't a crime, I also never stated or even implied it was. Everything about my post concerned the exploration of, and demonstration of the flaws in your logic. My argument takes issue with the poor logic supporting the decision, not the decision itself.

More specific, but it's not worth getting into.

You obviously thought that your opinion was worth posting, why falter now?

That's not what I mean.

They seem "artificial" in the same sense that Batman & Robin feels artificial compared to Batman 1989 and Batman Returns. Like they are trying, but not really trying. Like they aren't really having as much fun coming up with ideas and making them as they used to. I guess the Sims 3 example kind of works here too.

This was your attempt at a more reasonable justification? They're trying, but not really trying...considering the level of service to the fans the game offers, and how polished the overall experience is, they were most definitely trying. Your complaints come off as irrational and baseless, and your attempt to 'elucidate' didn't actually help. Again, I ask for elucidation. Why does it seem as if they had less fun making this game, and how does this perceived deficit actually impair the game in any way?

Look, you seem to have 'deduced' that I'm somehow offended by your posting, or somehow invested in whether or not you get the game. I'm not. Presumptions will tell you nothing of me, and do little to help your case.

Yeah, it definitely seems like you've got some issues with the game Chex, but I feel like the reasons you listed may not be exactly what you were wanting to get across. I'm assuming the relation with the Katy Perry Sims thing was with Danica Patrick being in Transformed. I'll concede on that, but will also mention that Danica Patrick being involved in NASCAR gives that a little more leeway...a little more.

You also say people were saying this is the best racing game ever, but I feel it's important to point out that people were more than likely alluding to other kart racers, like Crash Team Racing, Mario Kart, etc. I have never, ever seen anyone compare this game to more serious racing games / simulations, particularly not in the communities you don't get on with. Crash Team Racing, Mario Kart, and Diddy Kong Racing are the only comparisons I've seen, with some pointing out similarities to Blur since some former staff members from that game worked on Transformed.

I don't know man, we've got a character that's a switcheroo between the Hornet, Afterburner Jets, and a VMU driving a Dreamcast controller. They even went to the point of recording the disc scratching in the Dreamcast itself for sound effects. If you handed this game off to some cookie-cutter company they never would have thought something that silly up. We're talking a dev team who put in four extra characters working over time just to make sure they got in, if they hadn't bothered or tried we'd be looking at a smaller roster. I love to feel the soul in games when I can tell the devs had a blast making the game, and I definitely felt that in Transformed. 

Different strokes different folks. 

• 3 weeks later...