A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[General help] Choosing a new W8 laptop/hybrid + Bluestacks rooting

The CF2.5's sale ends by the end of 2014.

But now I'm suffering from a dilemma.

I'm planning to switch to a Windows 8 PC for performance improvements. But the extensive amount of choices make me have a doubt.

Here's what I mainly want on my next Windows 8 device:

-Must be a laptop or a hybrid (laptop+tablet) (to be practical)

-Must be specialized for gaming (have the specs to run games like The Crew, World of Speed, Need For Speed Rivals, along with upcoming games, etc. (high-end)

-Must not cost over 1000 euros (as I'm going to sell my  W7 Acer Extensa 5635ZG for 250 euros)

-Have a huge memory and hard-drive space (dunno if either 500GB or 1TB) (so that it can store all my produced fangames and installed games, along with an Android emulator+root and some written documents)

Here's some models I considered. Feel free to recommend me one or another model of your choice:

-Toshiba NB C50-A-1KV

-Asus NB X552LDV-SX752H

-Asus NB F551MAV-SX651B

-Acer Aspire V5

-Lenovo G505

-Lenovo G500s

Also, is there anyone who succesfully installed a root for the latest version of an Android emulator like Bluestacks? I tried searching but everything failed. Once I used a program, then one root checker said it succeeded, but other said it failed. Then I used terminal emulator, but it said mount:permission denied.

Somebody tell me how, because it's my very first time manipulating an Android device (COMPLETELY NEWBIE) and I don't understand a DAMN about stuff like Superuser, emulators, mounts and stuff like that. I just want to find a way to succesfully enable write permissions in system partition in order to use Freedom.apk correctly. I understand rooting is 30 million times more complex than jailbreaking because of variety of Android devices.

I don't know anything about Android emulators, but I can definitely help you on the laptops.

I've always loved Asus for gaming laptops, but I compared the specs on all of the laptops.

The X552LDV-SX752H or the Acer would probably be your best bet.

The Toshiba doesn't even have a dedicated graphics card by the looks of it(Has a Intel HD, which usually aren't very good for gaming) The other Asus is a much cheaper model, but should be good for it's price.

The Lenovos can range between mediocore to pretty good, it really depends on the model, and price.

I would probably go for the Asus, but that's just personal preference.

I'm planning to switch to a Windows 8 PC for performance improvements. But the extensive amount of choices make me have a doubt.

-Must be specialized for gaming (have the specs to run games like The Crew, World of Speed, Need For Speed Rivals, along with upcoming games, etc. (high-end)

-Must not cost over 1000 euros (as I'm going to sell my  W7 Acer Extensa 5635ZG for 250 euros)

-Have a huge memory and hard-drive space (dunno if either 500GB or 1TB) (so that it can store all my produced fangames and installed games, along with an Android emulator+root and some written documents)

Here's some models I considered. Feel free to recommend me one or another model of your choice:

-Toshiba NB C50-A-1KV

-Asus NB X552LDV-SX752H

-Asus NB F551MAV-SX651B

-Acer Aspire V5

-Lenovo G505

-Lenovo G500s

Also, is there anyone who succesfully installed a root for the latest version of an Android emulator like Bluestacks? I tried searching but everything failed. Once I used a program, then one root checker said it succeeded, but other said it failed. Then I used terminal emulator, but it said mount:permission denied.

Somebody tell me how, because it's my very first time manipulating an Android device (COMPLETELY NEWBIE) and I don't understand a DAMN about stuff like Superuser, emulators, mounts and stuff like that. I just want to find a way to succesfully enable write permissions in system partition in order to use Freedom.apk correctly. I understand rooting is 30 million times more complex than jailbreaking because of variety of Android devices.

I have Acer Aspire v5, lags on bluestacks and on modern games.

I have Acer Aspire v5, lags on bluestacks and on modern games.

Uh... you realize that 'Acer Aspire v5' doesn't refer to one single laptop don't you? It can mean pretty much anything as far as processor and GPU go.

As for the actual topic... sorry, can't help much on account of it being euros instead of dollars, so I have no idea what the relevant shops and such are. Just prioritize a laptop with a good GPU and the rest of it should fall into place really... maybe aim for a core i5 or something as well.

Uh... you realize that 'Acer Aspire v5' doesn't refer to one single laptop don't you? It can mean pretty much anything as far as processor and GPU go.As for the actual topic... sorry, can't help much on account of it being euros instead of dollars, so I have no idea what the relevant shops and such are. Just prioritize a laptop with a good GPU and the rest of it should fall into place really... maybe aim for a core i5 or something as well.

Consider as it would be for less than 1000 dollars, then.

And I'm completely newbie into PC specs.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.worten.pt/inicio/informatica/computadores.html?a_540501_2920=2GB+Dedicados&cat=1450

Pretty much anything between 750-1k from that page is fine for your purposes I think. Though you might want to get one with a higher resolution display. If you are going for Nvidia, keep in mind that 840>740>820... probably. I haven't actually checked the benchmarks.

High-spec Acer laptops seem to have overheating problems more than other brands, so I don't recommend that one. As for the other ones, do you mind posting their specs here so we can compare them?

After searching, here's a model that might suit me: HP Envy 15-J101SP

Specs:

Processor - Intel Core i7-4702MQ 2.2GHz

Screen : LED HD 15.6"

Resolution: 1920x1080

Graphics card: NVidia GT750M (4GB memory)

Hard Drive space: 750GB

Cost: 999€/$

The specs are good, but like Acer, High-spec HP laptops are known to have overheating problems. I'm not saying you are going to have those, I'm saying the chance is bigger. If there is a similar laptop from another brand, I recommend buying that.

Ah, don't worry, I actually have a "support" which lifts the laptop's bottom so that it can allow free airflow.

Ok, I've taken a bit more care in detail about GPU and compared with reccomended specs for games like The Crew.

This left me with this model, even better than HP.

Asus N550JK-CN456H

Processor: Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz

RAM: 8GB

Resolution: 1920x1080

Hard drive space: 1TB

Graphics card: NVidia GTX850 4GB

Cost: $1199 (I can still spend the spare $200)

• 3 weeks later...

-Toshiba NB C50-A-1KV

-Asus NB X552LDV-SX752H

-Asus NB F551MAV-SX651B

-Acer Aspire V5

-Lenovo G505

-Lenovo G500s

You're in luck!

I made a giveaway for CF2.5, check my latest topic.

Uh... you realize that 'Acer Aspire v5' doesn't refer to one single laptop don't you? It can mean pretty much anything as far as processor and GPU go.

As for the actual topic... sorry, can't help much on account of it being euros instead of dollars, so I have no idea what the relevant shops and such are. Just prioritize a laptop with a good GPU and the rest of it should fall into place really... maybe aim for a core i5 or something as well.

I meant Acer Aspire V5 122-P