A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic styled menu

axeldoll

Spanish detected! Bienvenido a SFGHQnited.

Er, we understand that you want to make a menu screen... but what tools are you using to make your game? We can't guess what kind of development environment you're working on.

When you talk about making menus, are you talking about the graphic assets (which you pretty much draw, that's it) or are you talking about the underlying code that makes it work?

Maybe he's meaning making a main menu on MMF2. He (and I) wants to know how to make buttons on main menu and interact them to certain actions. For example, how to make the "options menu" frame appear when player clicks on "options" in "main menu" frame.

Also, we want to arrange a way to make adjustable options (as exampled in Hez's Sonic Classic) affect the game's levels.

Spanish detected! Bienvenido a SFGHQnited.

Er, we understand that you want to make a menu screen... but what tools are you using to make your game? We can't guess what kind of development environment you're working on.

When you talk about making menus, are you talking about the graphic assets (which you pretty much draw, that's it) or are you talking about the underlying code that makes it work?I

I'm using Multimedia Fusion 2 developer and Sonic Worlds Delta 1.4.3. The code that is what I mean exactly. Sorry for not expressing myself well and for my bad english lol

Uh, I see that you just reported your own thread. Reports are supposed to be done when something is wrong, such as a thread going off the wall.

Alright:

Button based menus in a Sonic style game simply don't mix. Instead make a text based menu:

Menus in MMF are easy as 1-2-3. Simply create a hidden counter, and make the values reflect the amount of options. For example, for three options (New/Load/Options) set the minimum value to 1 and maximum to 3.

Now as for the code, set it so that hitting down (or right, whatever) increases the counter by 1, and pressing the opposite direction reduces the counter by 1.

Finally, make your string object have one paragraph for each menu option. Then make it so that the string selects paragraph #1 whenever the counter is 1, selects paragraph #2 whenever the counter is 2, and so on.

To make the selection events, create a condition like this:

*Condition
--+ Action

*Player presses Fire 1 (accept button)
*Counter equals 1
--+ Jump to frame X (this would be the first level)
To control options that affect levels, the best way to proceed is using global values. For example, let's say you have an option to get rid of the 10 minute level timer. Create a global value (e.g. NoTimer) and set it to 1 if the player previously activated the option.

Then, in your level, check if NoTimer is 1. If it is, then deactivate the events that control the timer, or make the numbers invisible, whatever.

Thanks for the info.

I've already seen LakeFeperd's guide to Worlds, but he stated he's now too busy with game development to continue his guide. I think you, GSF, are the ideal person to assist me (along with other people's posts). I could make a huge list of stuff that Lake's guide could include. I know, this would consume a lot of your (and others') time, but you don't have to explain me everything all at once (just do it from time to time), since I'm not a very active user due to work and since I use MMF2D only to make Sonic fangames.

I can work with Worlds 0.5 but I'll try to figure out a way to successfuly install the extensions for Delta on my cracked MMF2D (yeah, it's cracked because 1: not for sale in Portugal. 2: I NEVER make online transactions.).

Tommorow, I'll make a thread with my list (yeah, I should slow down because it sounds more like a supermarket item list).

I can tell you a few pointers, but don't expect too much - I tend to lose myself in doing other things.

Also, you didn't need to state that you cracked MMF2. And I also can't believe it's not for sale over there. I'm all the way down in South America (and no, it's not Brazil) and I was able to buy the software. CT's store has three options: US/Canada, France and Rest of the World. I'm pretty sure Portugal fits the criteria for the third option.

Maybe you can get someone to order it for you (give them the $ and they buy it)? You'll get a serial code and online DL link, there's no need to even ship anything to your location. You'd benefit from official CT support and forget about extension woes.

If you plan to go ahead with installing extensions on cracked versions, you're on your own. This means: Do not ask or share any Bonus Pack extensions here. If it's an external extension with free distribution (e.g. Sphax's objects) that would be okay. However, Delta needs several BP extensions to work... so I'm just being clear here - don't expect to find them here.

Last year there was a MMF2 Humble Bundle offer that allowed you to get MMF for an awesome price, and CT even let you upgrade to CF2.5 with the upgrade discounts if you got said HB offer. There might be a future offer like this again, so keep your eyes peeled.

As long as I can build a Sonic fangame with the latest version of Worlds, I'm fine, so Standard might be an option.

I know, Developer may have some unnecessary extras, since I don't want to build other types of games.

By the way, I'm new to this forum. Where can I present introductions to my new projects? (expect them to come very late, since I'm busy with work, I build games as a hobby)

I would like to implement a new gimmick, similar to AVGN Adventures, which is the character being able to carry and shoot a gun, and make the bullets interact with the enemies and walls.

The place to show off your projects would be Fangame Showcase. Make sure you have some substantial content before making a thread, though.

Basically, this means that you should have something that is being worked on. A text list with 23 zones and 19 characters including super forms won't work.

Mind if I pin this to the showcase thread?