A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Origins: Amy [CANCELLED, SEE INSIDE TO CLAIM SHIT]

You guys may remember this from a while back.http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7957

Well, not only did Jassbec steal my idea, er, I mean decide to have a go at making his own prequel to Sonic 1, but I also had a better idea! Sonic CD Prequel. Sonic BTCD? Nope. Sonic Origins: Amy (definitely the game's working title, probably its final one as well) is now officially in progress. Here's some screenshots and stuff.

ffz1.png

ffz2.png

Factory Forest Zone Screenshots (still a lot of work to be done)

ffzb.png

Factory Forest Zone Boss mock-up

1)Sonic is always running during the boss stages.

2)One can hit Robotnik just after he's smashed his pillar into the ground...

3)But be careful of the spiked balls that fall from the sky!

4)Tails and Amy will be found somewhere in the background in most boss fights (just an aesthetic).

sonicoriginsamyts.png

Title screen mock-up. Background and font colour to be changed.

Will be updated as new material is made.

Yeah, I shall now impart the prologue to you guys (Note: Sonic Origins: Amy, which is a prequel to Sonic CD, takes place directly after Sonic BTS Aftermath, which in itself takes place directly after Sonic & Knuckles).

After defeating the mysterious being Polem in the Sunset Sun Zone, Sonic decides to travel the world looking for a new adventure. Soon he is zooming across the horizon near the Floral Forest Zone, an elusive and beautiful forest which is only accessible to very few people. Unfortunately, Robotnik was able to build a factory there and unleash a robotisization wave across the forest, robotisizing all animals in the area, thus turning the landscape into what is now known as the Factory Forest Zone. Amy Rose, a young pink hedgehog who is rather adventurous, was returning to her house in the forest when she is suddenly ambushed by badniks. Luckily for her, Sonic was passing through the area and destroyed the robotic shells that the animals were trapped in. Amy was enthralled by this display and made a vow to herself to become just like Sonic, then setting off after him as he dashed through the forest.

Reading that, I realise that it could easily be the beginning of a fanfic...

You're right, it does. Terrible fanfic, at that.

EDIT: Ok, I won't be such a prat about it. I remember when I first got into fangaming, and I spent ages writing a terrible fanfic style plot. Basically, that's not what's important. You should make levels that are fun to play first. Don't touch the story until well, well, WELL after you've made every level. Look at Sonic 1. You could barely tell there's a story, but the manual has a little something. The thing is, the manual stuff is different on both sides of the Pacific. Story should be completely detached from game. Completely siloed.

Don't waste your time writing fanfiction when you could be having fun making games, let's leave it at that.

EDIT 2: Also, you've got the progression completely and utterly wrong, by the way. Sonic CD comes between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, and Sonic: Before the Sequel is consequently an unplayable game for me because it places story before gameplay. Don't fall into that rut. LakeLeapard knows how to crank out pretty stuff, that's for sure, but it's held together with string and chewing gum. He is not the ideal you should admire, let alone copy.

You're right, it does. Terrible fanfic, at that.

EDIT: Ok, I won't be such a prat about it. I remember when I first got into fangaming, and I spent ages writing a terrible fanfic style plot. Basically, that's not what's important. You should make levels that are fun to play first. Don't touch the story until well, well, WELL after you've made every level. Look at Sonic 1. You could barely tell there's a story, but the manual has a little something. The thing is, the manual stuff is different on both sides of the Pacific. Story should be completely detached from game. Completely siloed.

Don't waste your time writing fanfiction when you could be having fun making games, let's leave it at that.

EDIT 2: Also, you've got the progression completely and utterly wrong, by the way. Sonic CD comes between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, and Sonic: Before the Sequel is consequently an unplayable game for me because it places story before gameplay. Don't fall into that rut. LakeLeapard knows how to crank out pretty stuff, that's for sure, but it's held together with string and chewing gum. He is not the ideal you should admire, let alone copy.

He's right Alex, even though Lake gave me permission to use the "Official Feperdverse Timeline" i'm keeping foreshadowing of events to a minimum and focusing on the game before the story, that way i can just brainstorm about how to connect each zone.

You can have a bare-bone story while you work on the game, like me. Slowly more original ideas will come to your mind and will end up being great.

I wish you good luck, hope you succeed!

Well my thought process (until sonic 4 came out anyway) Was that Sonic CD actually wasn't even supposed to be in the sonic canon because it took place in an alternate timeline. All the classic games that weren't on the genesis were. It would make sense seeing how Amy, Metal Sonic, and Fang only make appearances there. But eh who knows. Maybe I'm looking too deep into it.

As for the story, I haven't heard it all yet so I can't really judge it.

Right. Bit to take in there. First off, what I meant about the whole fanfic thing was not about the actualy events that took place (apart from possibly the robotisization wave, which in itself isn't really that bad), it's just that I go into too much detail about them, and my lexis doesn't help either. I didn't see what you wrote before, Toaster, but I probably could've took it. I don't think people are arseholes just because they give me some criticism which I need.

Also, I know I don't want to have time lines getting in the way but I'm not really one for making contradictions. However, L.E., I do find it strange that you like to think that the non genesis classic games took place in an alternate time line. To me that's just silly, but hey, think what you like!

Sonic 1 and 2's storylines could literally be concluded in about 3 sentences. Sonic 3&K in a single paragraph maybe. I think the real point is, "storyline work" is mostly just a way of procrastinating. You could complete an entire sonic game, make up a story afterwards, and nobody would tell the difference.

Lake isn't popular because he makes storylines, Lake is popular because he actually finishes his games.

@Serephim

Yeah, I realise. I already know almost everything I'm doing for the game (I did start this a while back), it's just a case of creating everything and then finding out how to make it work. For example, I could show every single boss in the game and even put sprites of the first few in for good measure. Progress is just slow at the moment and story is something which does not take more than 5 minutes to clear up. Once my exams are out of the way, I'll have loads of time to work on this.

@ChaosLord

OK...? Could you give me a few more details, so I'm not just going about slapping any old Clare who happens to live in the Lancs?

Well, this isn't good.

Turns out my copy of flash has a corrupt kcini.mfx file, disabling me from opening any copy of Sonic Worlds I have. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Anyway, something more on topic, here is the level list:

Factory Forest Zone

Acts: 2

Boss: Egg Cruncher

Special Stage Rings: 2

Cascade Cove Zone

Boss: Egg Skimmer

Special Stages: 2

Crude Chronos Zone

Boss: Egg 'n' Tropy (Tropy is...you'll find out...)

Highland Hills Zone

Boss: Egg Razor

Perilous Peak Zone

Boss: Egg Pendulum

Mantle Meltdown Zone

Acts: 1

Boss: None

Special Stages: None

Ceremonial Citadel Zone

Boss: Power Pillar

Extra Zone

Acts: 0

Boss: ???

Special Stages: Er...About that...

• 1 month later...

OK, sorry for the lack of well, anything. With web blocks at school and my work on FTB, it's hard to find time to update this, or even work on the game.

However, once Jass is done with FTB he has said he will help me with parts of this, so expect something soon (eg, by the end of next month).

• 1 month later...

Welp, this has been going nowhere for the past 2/3 months, so I'm canning the game. I don't think there was a single person who knew about this game who didn't see it coming. I'm not sorry, and I'm not gonna try make it up to anyone. This game never really had a following and it was terrible. However, I am letting people use ideas and levels from this game for their own fan games, just post here telling me what you want. This is first come=first serve, so don't bitch if you didn't get the level you wanted. Badnik concepts can be used by anyone.

As for me, I gotta go continue work on Sonic Advance 4 for SAGE.

Yeah, I shall now impart the prologue to you guys (Note: Sonic Origins: Amy, which is a prequel to Sonic CD, takes place directly after Sonic BTS Aftermath, which in itself takes place directly after Sonic & Knuckles).

After defeating the mysterious being Polem in the Sunset Sun Zone, Sonic decides to travel the world looking for a new adventure. Soon he is zooming across the horizon near the Floral Forest Zone, an elusive and beautiful forest which is only accessible to very few people.

Holy fuck, I just realised the first level of my first fan game was going to be called Floral Forest.