A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sending and reading coordinate data to a server

Strife

I have an idea that might help me tweak the difficulty in my game, but I'm wondering what kinds of extensions I would need to use to make it work. I'm quite inexperienced in the field of client/server communication, especially when it comes to MMF2 games.

Suppose I put a plain text file on my server. Whenever the player dies in the game or clears the stage, the game would attempt to connect to my website. If it connects successfully, the X and Y coordinates of their character, along with other bits of data such as the current frame, difficulty setting, etc, would be sent to the website and recorded in the text file. Eventually after many plays, I would have a really really long string of coordinate data on my server, which I could then plug into a statistics program in order to create a map of each stage and dots/clouds indicating where the highest concentration of player deaths occur.

Which extensions would you recommend for making this possible? (i.e. connecting to a server and modifying a text file on the server)

I think there's an extension for MMF call MooSock that lets you make HTTP requests. Most of the work would be done on the server, looking something like this:

• Game sends co-ordinate/map data - I would probably include version information too, so you can compare different maps to see if your tweaks have helped.
  • Script on the server updates text file/database with co-ordinates
  • A separate script on the server uses this data to generate a heatmap or whatever