A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

How to rip Ristar tiles and backgrounds!

Apricity

There doesn't seem to really be anywhere to get ahold of a complete set or Ristar tiles and backgrounds. I'd really like some pieces of some for my game, is there anyway I can rip them. Tiles are okay-ish to rip but the background have so many effects thrown over them I can't get the proper background.

Is there any programs that can do this? I've heard of one called "Feel" but I have yet to encounter a download for it.

Rep's for any helpful Gentlemen(/women).

• Like 2

It ain't necessary. Can be easily done in a sound test with Gens emulator.

1.Go to the ingame Sound Test, make sure no song is playing before you start (if you can't make the sound not to play, play one of the non-looping musics or even any sound effect. When it ends, no sound plays. It is easy to do in Sonic games too). If you can't mute everything, it's ok, but you'll have to use Audacity to edit the sound later.

2. Press the key to start the song and press Esc immediately.

3. Go to the menu "Sound" > "Start WAV dump" (make sure to check the output folder on the Options of the emulator)

4. Press Esc again, let the emulator record the sound. When it ends, or when you're sure you've reached the end of the song's loop, press Esc again, go to "Sound" > "Stop WAV dump".

The rest is opening it in Audacity to polish, removing unecessary parts, converting to OGG... whatever.

EDIT: Hmm just figured out in the game that you can't rip the samples through this. Hacking to rip may be an alternative.

Using the screenshot tool on Gens (Shift + Backspace) or using the program "Feel 1.0" that hacks Ristar's palletes and leveldesign.

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/381/

Make a savestate of the level you want and load it in Feel. It can be a bit wonky at times, but it's a good way to get tiles if you're willing to work for them.

^ Here

You'll have to find a Ristar ROM in .bin format.

I dunno if I do right, but to rip it I use the old Printscreen technique, then paste it on Paint, and then I get the tiles. There might be an easier way, but...

EDIT: In case you need to convert it...

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/383/

How do I get backgrounds too D;

Use the emulator Gens KMod, make a savestate of the level with the BG you want.

Now, get the tool GSavestate, and load the savestate in it.

Select the VDP tab, then select the Screen subtab.

Uncheck everything except Scroll B Lo and Scroll B Hi (this is the background layer). Check off Ignore H Scrolling and Ignore V Scrolling, and check off Show entire virtual screen. Right click the screen, save to bitmap.

This is a great method for doing generic and quick background rips of any Genesis game, but if you have some means of accessing the real tile metadata, you can make better quality rips.

• Like 1

What I would actually be interested in is knowing how to rip sound effects from Ristar. I could record speaker output, but the only place where that would work is the second or so of silence after defeating Sonata's miniboss. xD;

At that point it'd take advantage of the quietness and crash the RAM to not play the next song while retaining the SFX sequences then I'd use either the built in "wav" recorder or simply use my stereomix + Audacity.