A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[TGF Gen 1] The infamous stutter bug [seems to be solved]

Glaber

I think he's referring to the sound issue. Play a sound in sucession enough times (in Sonic games this is easily achieved when grabbing a bunch of rings while running), and the game will stop, sound will continuously repeat itself and the game will only advance in odd steps while holding a button. Only solution is to close the game and open it again (Restarting won't work.)

As far as I know this only happens on MMF 1.0, TGF1 and older Click series, on XP or newer. I played TGF games on older Windows versions, and it didn't happen for me (I didn't play many games for a long time though.)

It might help to avoid "stacking" too many sounds, or maybe add a "stop sample X" action before using another "play sample X" one.

A safer way would be to skip playing the sound such as the ring grab chime when it's still playing (so a bunch of rings in succession will chime less times than normal.)

Understandable, it was a generation 1 bug after all. I'm going to see if I can get the bug to stop happening based on what gsoft said.

seems like it's working so far. I won't know if this completely works until I finished fixing my game.

If this works, I may just pick it back up again in TGF G1 form along side rebooting it as an SRB2 mod.