A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Help to finish a background

Blue Frenzy

All of the 2d Sonic games had a special kind of tile that went right beneath the surface, like from the checkerboard wall to a darker version with the grass over it. The problem here is that it looks like you're trying to do the same thing, but instead of the sand appearing to go over the blocks, it appears to be behind it.

First divide the surface from the tiles under it, it doesn't matter if you are going to end up getting rid of this line, but it should help you judge where you need to work. Then see if you can shade the sand so it appears to come out of the bricks instead of being a flat surface behind it. Then I'd suggest having the brown tiles closest to the sand have a dusty yellow texture that slowly gives way to your normal texture. For the sake of simplicity, I wouldn't take up more than 1-2 tiles for this, but its your call.

See if that works... I would tinker with it myself to experiment with the shading, but there appear to be some rather nasty jpg artifacts there. One unrelated note, the lighting on the sides of those bricks are pretty much the same color as your sand... you may want to change the hue to something more orange to prevent any confusion. Its subtle but should help avoid any visual confusion by keeping yellow-tan to the sand and brown-orange to the bricks.

Good luck! :asmile:

2vih280.png

So here are some experiments. What I did was made the sand more 3-dimensional, and then took the sand in the foreground and expanded it to cover over the blocks using appropriate shading. Then I used the burn tool in Gimp to darken the tiles closest to it to keep it looking like its bulging out.

It's not perfect, but maybe it will point you in the right direction. :tbored: