A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Need some basics answered

Airaxen

This was a different question but now I have learned I may have a more fundamental problem.

I don't think I fully understand how qualifiers and alterable values work. My assumption is that if I modified alterable A value on the qualifier that anything with the qualifier would suddenly be affected the same and all the alterable a values would be changed. At the moment it seems more like the object gains this additional set of alterable values that are of the qualifier.

Also, how do I really create a code that can search through all the qualifiers and find the object with a specific value. Like if I spread a value across 10 objects and I just wanted to find the one that was number 4 and then display the other values it had?

Right now I have just made a condition saying basically if the entire group of qualifiers had a value of 4 for alterable a then set a counter to show the alterable b. I thought this worked right since it was doing what I wanted it to, but now it doesn't seem like things are working right. It may be another problem.

Lastly I've learned I can't really do this on my own at the moment, would anyone be willing to help tutor me through making an RPG's battle engine from scratch?

Also, how do I really create a code that can search through all the qualifiers and find the object with a specific value. Like if I spread a value across 10 objects and I just wanted to find the one that was number 4 and then display the other values it had?

I'm not sure what language / game maker you're using, but maybe this will give you a push in the right direction. I assume the objects are all named the same (IE: Object1, Object2, etc).

First, declare a variable "N". Then, make a loop with a condition like this...

While ("VariableA" not equal 4)

...inside the loop, add 1 to "N", then use "N" and whatever method you need to get the VariableA.

VariableA = Object(N).getVariableA

If it's not the right value, it'll loop back to the top, add 1 to "N", and check the next object. If it's right though, the loop will end, and you can use "N" to get the other values. IE...

Counter 1 = Object(N).getVariableB

Counter 2 = Object(N).getVariableC

...And so on. Hope that helps; it's been a while since I've coded, so I'm not sure how clear that is.

----------------------------

As for the RPG engine, how advanced do you want it to be? Give me an example and I can probably give you some pointers.

That does help actually. It'll make my life easier to have a specific way of pointing at a person.

I forgot to mention I was using MMF and for the engine it's not terribly advanced. I'm just wrestling with it way more than I want to. I have turns and death programmed into things that's about it.