A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Suicidal Laptop: Help Please?

Aaron C-T

Model: Asus R1F

Problems:

1- My laptop is a tablet pc with a stylus. On a daily basis, it decides to freak out and throw the mouse pointer into the bottom right corner of the screen where it repeatedly clicks flashing between the normal arrow and the stylus dot- all the while opening folders/poking at the sidebar/starting and stopping my music, etc. The only way to get past this point is to either let the spazzing stop or grab the stylus and literally power-struggle with it by pulling it out of the corner- after which it sometimes jumps back. No idea what to do, but any sort of help would be much appreciated.

2- I was messing around with Ubuntu at some point before I left and then decided to delete the install. Yet, my computer still thinks it's installed. So when I turn on my computer it lists both Ubuntu and Vista Bussiness as installs I can use. When you select Ubuntu it quickly tells you that it's not gonna work. Any ideas on how I'd be able to reinstall/uninstall it to get it to actually get the hell off my system?

3- Vista Business/Windows Update for some reason refuses to install a handful of updates including Microsoft Silverlight, 6 Security Updates ranging as far back as 4/8/08 and as recent as 11/11/08, and Update for Windows Vista, and some sort of Intel Chipset update. Because of the lack of the security updates and the Windows Vista update, I can't download Service Pack 1, nor does downloading it directly from the site and installing work. I believe that this is causing causes the latest Zune releases (3.0 and 3.1 to not install correctly) and some of the stuff associated with XNA to not install correctly. I briefly read somewhere last night that this might be because of problem #2. Any help would be much, much appreciated.

2- I was messing around with Ubuntu at some point before I left and then decided to delete the install. Yet, my computer still thinks it's installed. So when I turn on my computer it lists both Ubuntu and Vista Bussiness as installs I can use. When you select Ubuntu it quickly tells you that it's not gonna work. Any ideas on how I'd be able to reinstall/uninstall it to get it to actually get the hell off my system?

You may either reinstall Windows or restore Windows' master boot record with fdisk /MBR

Remember to backup your data!

1. Check to make sure you have all the necessary drivers and such installed for your system and try reinstalling them or setting things to defaults. Some random sensitivity setting or something might have been set... Is there a calibration feature for the tablet?

2. Ubuntu installs all of the GRUB (bootloader) files into MBR and a seperate tiny partition (/boot). doing what cyborg_ar said will fix that, but you'll still have to find and delete the tiny partiton (unless ubuntu's doing something non standard) In Vista's case, it's fairly easy to let Vista boot into linux rather than using Grub, but that's irrelevant now...

3. 2 shouldn't be the case as I've seen dual boot installs of Vista/Ubuntu (and other *nix) work just fine, but if all else fails reinstall Windows. If you can't get SP1, it might be easier to install with a fresh Vista install... Possibly there's something bad running around your system preventing security updates and such... Virus maybe?