A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Thoughts on Generations 3DS

JoeMD

When I bought my 3DS about two months ago the first game I bought (got it when I got the console) was Sonic Generations. Although I'd already sunk 34 hours into the PC version of the game, I still wanted to get it on 3DS.

Now, I'd heard from some people and read on-line that Generations 3DS wasn't all that great. However, I'm finding quite a lot of fun and have sunk about 12 hours into it thus far. While I admit that it's not as good as the "main" version of Generations, I do thing it's a quality game. Yes, there are some faults - it's very easy, the levels are quite short (blew through the whole game in a day), the Special Stage control feels a bit off at times and I HATE that you have to unlock missions with play coins - but the actual gameplay, the important stuff of racing through the levels and collecting rings, remains brilliant fun, even if it is a little "hold right to win" at times.

I know some people have an issue with Dimps, but I don't think their games are as horrible as some people like to make out. But what are others thoughts on this? Do you think Generations 3DS is a quality game?

Some things really disappointed me in the games. The Genesis Era having their Classic levels being copied from the original games instead of taking inspiration from them, and having the Rival battles just take place in a stage from the Era instead of their actual boss location was also a bit of a downer. Other than that, it's alright. I mean I only spent fifteen bucks on my copy of the game so I feel I got my value. It just feels like it's missing a bit of heart in my eyes.

Seeing as though this was the handheld console game, and I'm pretty sure people said this a million times, it would have been great to focus on the past handheld games. (GG era, Advance era, modern era). And yeah, the rival battles were pretty weak seeing as they were just race to the end vs. the console version where you actually battle the mofos. Hopefully, Lost World 3DS doesn't fall short to the console version like Generations did. Of course from what I've seen/played already, I don't expect it to.

Yeah, I a gotta agree with Abominal, I've not found the game cheap, just it challenges your platforming skills. But then I DO find Mario games cheap (really don't like the series) so maybe I don't know what I'm on about.  :lol:

I have unlocked a few new missions, but the reasons seem to be random, so I'm not really sure what one has to do within the game to unlock missions

I just played generations 3DS because before, It was just pure memory... And its worse then I gave it credit for.

First of all, the controls are slippery. Second of all, the game resorts to trickery, not challenge. An example is like in radical highway you'll be boosting along then while going up a spiral you will be hit by a fighter jet before the camera even lets you see it. Or when you're going up those things then a enemy will land on you right when you land not giving you time to react.

Classic sonic levels are boring and modern sonic defies physics and are risky because of cheap placement of stuff that screws you over before you even get the chance to see it.

I do agree the controls are a bit wonky, but the game doesn't rely on trickery here. It's mostly about old fashioned challenge and critical thinking/strategy. Yeah, they might not have done it in some parts, but I don't think tricking gamers is the goal here more like just slowing down, unfortunately, and looking at your surroundings to think about your next move or to solve the puzzle.

its trail and error. Take sonic 1's labyrinth zone, it was challenging but for the right reasons, while levels like sonic 2's metropolis zone had cheap enemy placement and you had to memorize where they were, although back then it wasn't a big deal but generations has a ranking system and these cheap enemy placement that hit you before they are even on the screen ruins your rank.

You don't think that enemies spawning on you as you land or the jets shooting you before its even on screen cheap?

I think the major problem was that they had lots of potential and just blew it. Level design and physics leave much to be desired. Its not exactly a terrible game, but I wouldn't exactly call it a good one either, more of just a meh kind of game, One that is just sort of there and you don't know why.

Personally, I think that sonic team needs to ditch Dimps. They may have been considered good back with sonic advance and rush (Which admittedly, I do kinda like) but since unleashed, colors, generations, sonic 4, they have been probably one of the worst game makers I've ever seen. Maybe its accidentally comparing their versions to far superior ones that sonic team makes but I don't find their games very fun. Colors especially which is probably the most boring game I have ever played.

You don't think that enemies spawning on you as you land or the jets shooting you before its even on screen cheap?

No. Like I said, hand/eye coordination and critical timing/thinking. It's basics for platforming games.

Personally, I think that sonic team needs to ditch Dimps. They may have been considered good back with sonic advance and rush (Which admittedly, I do kinda like) but since unleashed, colors, generations, sonic 4, they have been probably one of the worst game makers I've ever seen. Maybe its accidentally comparing their versions to far superior ones that sonic team makes but I don't find their games very fun. Colors especially which is probably the most boring game I have ever played.

I wouldn't call Dimps the worst. They just made a lot of interesting choices that tanked.  I hope you're referring to the DS version of Colors, which really isn't that bad either.

• Like 1

No. Like I said, hand/eye coordination and critical timing/thinking. It's basics for platforming games.

Yeah, and I like that, but there is a limit and a fine line when it becomes just down right cheap. If you're hit from basically off screen then there is nothing you can do about it, then its not critical thinking or timing, it becomes trial and error, and I don't think a game should resort to trial and error because that's not exactly a challenge, just a memorization game. 

I wouldn't call Dimps the worst. They just made a lot of interesting choices that tanked.  I hope you're referring to the DS version of Colors, which really isn't that bad either.

That actually makes allot of sense, unleashed was an idea that I personally don't like, but probably because I was use to how the HD version did it. ((Although in sonic 4's case, there is NO excuse)) I liked advanced games and the rush games, but their more recent ones are lacking.

And I did mean the DS version, its not bad, just the most boring game I have ever played.

I know what you mean about that one jet, but apart from that - and it doesn't happen every time - I can't think of any "unfair" elements in the game. Generations, at least on PC, has it's issues as well; sometimes the controls don't respond, things can be missed if you don't react at the exact right moment, and so on. However, I feel that those instances are very small when compared to the overall quality of the game which, IMHO, is the best Sonic game since S3&K.

I feel similarly about Generations DS. It has it's faults but I think it's the best handheld Sonic game in some time, probabley since Advande, albeit it's been a while since I played the Rush games. But I'm with you in regards to Colours DS, Pharaoh, it is rather meh.

I gotta agree with Pharaoh Shadon actually.  Those "Gotcha!" moments have put me off a lot of recent Dimps games as of late. I still haven't gotten around to getting Colors DS because I feel like it'd just be an exercise  in frustration. It didn't bother me too much with Gens 3DS thankfully, I found it to be a good bit more fair, but I definitely had those moments where it just didn't feel fair. 

I think I just need to play through Gens 3DS again...then again I never beat the Time Eater in it.

• Like 1

I think I just need to play through Gens 3DS again...then again I never beat the Time Eater in it.

On the subject of time eater, that was, ironically, a time consuming boss fight because of how "hilariously" unique the switching was. Of course, I'm being sarcastic here I looked in horror as my Super Sonic Switch-out, Swap-in Strategy, (SSSSS technique...nyehaha...) was hindered by the 3DS, thus making that a nerve busting sumbitch...

• 1 month later...

@strong gust- even know I'm not a fan of either, I'll say that generations is better. At least generations has look appeal, colors DS is just plain boring to me. I physical can't play it... Sounds perfect to sleep to though.

But I was actually expecting generations 3DS to do the handhelds, like sonic 1,2 ((maybe triple trouble or chaos)) the advanced games for the adventure era then rush then colors. I think that line up would have been better. ((I swear parts in generations 3DS is literal copy and paste))

• 9 months later...