A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Nintendo DS v.s PSP? Which one?

Zonar Games

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is hands down one of the most frustrating things ever. G6 looked awesome, as the site says it has no downsides and yet it only has 512MB of space and you can't stick in an SD card to add more memory. And Lightning says that not all DS homebrew works on it. Although I mainly want it for use as an MP3 player, it'd still be cool to play/attempt to make some DS stuff. So now I'm currently looking at the M3 Mini SD, which apparently requires PassCard v2 or something which I don't believe comes with it- and I've already gotta purchase an SD card for it. Granted the review -says- contents: Instructional CDs, PassCard v2, and M3 Mini SD but they're all shown in different packaging and presented seperately in the title. Not sure if "contents" refers to the review or the contents of the box.

Confused as hell here, and I think part of it has to do with me trying to work on my story and not thoroughly reading through every part of each review, and of your tidbit on PassCards and whatnot. This is worse than buying a friggin system.

Now here's the side question...for a million points, are you able to load up DS roms into these babies and play DS games?

yes

If you see the M3 being offered bundled with a PassCard, you're fine. The type of passthrough you use typically doesn't matter, as long as it works on your DS. It's kinda hard to go wrong nowadays in the area of passthroughs, because most of them work just the same.

One thing people might want to note is the pending availability of new DS-slot flash adapters for microSD cards and such which eliminate the need for passthroughs and patching--however, these lack the double-functionality that you get with a GBA slot flash adapter (which can usually play GBA games on any GBA-compatible hardware as well)

But see things like this are simply deadly confusing: "Not compatible with the DS Lite and colored DS."

Colored DS? They're all a color. Silver, Red, Blue, whatever. Unless they mean different than the default colors which still doesn't make much sense. Gah.

Edit: Oh, I see your post now. Heh.. D:

But see things like this are simply deadly confusing: "Not compatible with the DS Lite and colored DS."

Colored DS? They're all a color. Silver, Red, Blue, whatever. Unless they mean different than the default colors which still doesn't make much sense. Gah.

That has to do with the older methods of passthrough--the PassMe, in particular. Nintendo made those not work any more when they released the colored DSes with newer firmware (the DS Lite has newer firmware as well).

Like I said, you don't have to worry about that any more.

The PassCard 3 you find bundled with M3 adapters all over the place will work fine.

Ah, okay, I see. Crap's relatively expensive though. Totally won't be able to get for quite a bit.

Edit: In other news, any of you all know of any good DS/GBA development tools? I doubt I'd even understand/be able to create anything with them, but I suppose they'd still be fun to mess around with.