A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

What is your favourite Sonic game and why?

Crash

Now, before we begin, I just want to set some... rules for this thing.

1) This is not a list topic, you should also include a reason as to why you like the game, as the title implies.

2) Don't argue about other people's opinions. Everyone has a different opinion, don't treat your opinion like it's the law.

Okay, let's begin. I like multiple Sonic games a lot. But, I think that my favourite is probably Generations, but it's really close with 3&K, I like 3&K a lot too!

So, why do I like Generations? Well, I'll tell you. Generations offers two different styles of gameplay, adding a lot of variety to the game. The levels are short and sweet once you get the hang of them, and have a lot of replay value to them. There is also a mission mode for both Sonic's that unlock extra music and power-ups.

Sonic's friends were in some of these missions, and while it did feel quite gimmicky in the missions they were in, they were still fun regardless of it. Another reason I love Generations is because it was the first Sonic game in a long time that had been really good (Colours was still good).

So, everyone. What is your favourite Sonic game and why?

• Like 1

Favorite Game: Sonic Adventure 1

Reason(s): Okay, where do I start off, well one of the reasons why is the soundtrack,
the soundtrack has a variety of sounds and the music fits in very well to their stages.

I will honesty say that this is my favorite 3D OST in a game. it's just that amazing in 
my opinion. I have the entire soundtrack on my iPod and there is not one piece of
music I hate or bothers me... except that part where the baby laughs(Amy's Twinkle park)
that's kinda creepy.

-My other reason, I believe this game has brought in the most the most 2D obstacles from the 2D games.
I guess you say the fans from Final EGG. I know there's more but it's been awhile since I last played SA1
Each stage has a different background and atmosphere which I really do like.

-My other reason is how each character fits in their gameplay(f-ck you Big -__-)
It shows how every character develops in their gameplay style. Since Sonic is the main character,
He has all the speed tricks, Tails is the flying type, in his style where he needs to race Sonic,
Some people kinda don't get why, what I think is to prove that on flight is faster than on foot, and I guess Tails proved that
Since Knuckles is a treasure hunter, he know's where the missing pieces are so he's able to find and dig them up.
Amy... I guess to show that females are able to overcome their problems...(I think)?
Big... No change in the story whatsoever! 
Gamma has go to be my favorite in terms of story, of how he changes from a boring robot to 
a robot who has feelings. His death made me cry when I first played this(when I was 6).

The Boss fights are basic and simple, though I had a tougher time with Chaos 4(How long it takes him to get up -___-)
because of how impatient I am.

Sorry if I dragged this out too long.
I guess that's all I have to say of why SA1(DX) is my favorite. :3

Edited by BlurProdOG
  • Like 1

-Favorite Game: Sonic 3 & Knuckles

-Reason: I loved the game-play, music and almost all of the levels were fun! There is alot of stuff in it that i wish they would bring back in the modern games. I really would love a Retro-Engine or HD remake! It was also pretty long compared to our current games. Most sonic games would be super short if you take out the Hub worlds and Mini Acts.

Edited by xXTragicAngelXx

My favorite is Sonic the Hedghog Triple Trouble.

Reason(s): One becasue this was my very first Game Gear game I ever owned. Second, it took me a long time to beat it. Ever since I was 5 years old, I've tried my best to beat this behemoth. I eventually did it when I was 20 years old. Yes, it took me 16 years to beat this game with Chaos Emeralds in hand with both Sonic and Tails. No game, except Majora's Mask, has eluded completion from me for that long. You could say it was quite the Moby Dick to me and it was driving me crazy not beating it. It has a lot of nostalgic memories dear to me and I'd play it any day. I downloaded the 3DS port because...that's how much I love it.

I also have an obscure favorite. More like a guilty, very guilty pleasure.....I'm talking about, Shadow The Hedgehog. Now before you press that quote button, let me explain.

I hate this game with every bone, nerve, and drop of blood in my body. It's dull, it's boring, it's repetetive, it has a pointless concept, but there's one thing that's really fun to me in this game. The gunplay. I love the gunplay. Just shooting everything in up in my path is pretty awesome, epsecially when I get infinate ammo with chaos power....but it's still bad...Oh and it's inconsistant too.

Edited by Abominal Taz
  • Like 1

My favorite Sonic game is easily Sonic Adventure. It's the very first video game I ever played, and I have fond memories of spending my first few weeks with it not having a VMU...which meant having to replay the beginning of the game each and every time I wanted to play the game...:P Thankfully we eventually made it to a Circuit City (dinosaurs roar) and got the see-through blue VMU I still use to this day.

Hours upon hours upon hours of nostalgia really help make this my favorite Sonic game, and game in general. As a kid I was completely lost in the hub worlds, I'd always talk to every NPC after every stage to catch the ones who would say new things. It always seemed like there was somewhere new to go that I just hadn't found yet, as a kid I thought Station Square and Mystic Ruins were huge. (I had a huge fear of the jungle area as a kid, to this day I still get a bit nervous about getting lost in it), and the Egg Carrier was awesome to mess around in and transform. This is why I didn't particularly mind the hub worlds in Unleashed, it really took me back to that feeling. Sonic 06...not so much, despite being more similar. :P

The storyline was very gripping to me as a child. I had never heard of Sonic before, but he was totally the coolest. He laughed at danger, selflessly helped his friends and was a character I looked up to. I envied Tails for getting to hang with Sonic, plus Tails was the dude with the awesome transforming plane. Sweet. Knuckles was a somewhat reluctant protagonist, Big just wanted to take it easy, Amy was...Amy and Gamma was an awesome robot. The idea of a giant water monster decimating a city was terrifying to me, but it gave me all the more drive to stop the threat. I liked seeing Big narrowly escape danger and high-tail it with his bud. And Gamma's story...let's just say I cried as a kid and still tear up nowadays... :P Yeah, by today's standards it's all aged, over-done, and very awkward. But I can still dig past that and see what made fascinated me as a child.

The gameplay was fantastic..most of the time. To me, Sonic has the ideal control in Adventure. It feels seamless. I don't have to think about my limits when playing, it's just natural. He feels light, maneuverable, and like a rocket ready to burst. I'm fully familiar with the extent of his abilities and I just...get it. There's no thought involved, and I felt a very similar way when I finally got to play the first NiGHTS game last year. It's seamless and perfect in my eyes, for the most part. Sure, the game can be awkward and slow you down, or misread a homing attack or whatever. But for the most part, it's a delight to play even now, in 2013. Tails is Sonic but with the ability to fly, which is great. Knuckles has a capable radar and stages that aren't TOO expansive. Amy is...Amy. Big is just remembering where Froggy is which is easy after the first few goes. And Gamma really feels like an arcade shooter which is very appealing to me. 

The music, oh man the music. Gives this game so much of its personality. Crazy Robo was the first time I really stopped and just enjoyed the music when I was a kid, at 5. I had no idea what I was hearing, it just sounded so...cool. I'd play that boss fight over and over just to listen to the music. (Then I figured out the Sound Select...:P )That's just my favorite track in the game, I don't feel there is a bad track at all. I would give anything for another Sonic soundtrack to come together like this one. Yeah, it has Senoue grinding away on an electric guitar. But it's got jazz, funk, techno...all this stuff I immediately associate with Sonic. I've enjoyed quite a few of the soundtracks, and personally feel Unleashed has the technical best in the series...but Adventure will always be my favorite.

Visually, the game has aged clearly. But it's still not a bad looking game. Emerald Coast, Speed Highway and Lost World are still some of my favorite locales in the series. I'm going to wrap this up here...just know that I love Adventure to death. 

• Like 1

My fav's SonicUnleashed (PS3 and 360), Why?

Well first off, some things never get old, and blasting through terrain over sonic speed, blowing up enemies in your path certianly doesn't. The Sonic stages are very, very fun and extremely replayable aswell, and if you haven't played it, yes, there is more than just holding boost. I also really like the quick time events.

And as you can probably predict, I actually liked the Werehog stages. It's also pretty satisfying, and has it's fair share of platforming, and isn't extremely repetitive. Unlike like other 3D brawlers (which are by NO means bad), the enemies here actually die quickly. Brawling is fun, but gets repetitive after a while.

I also really like the story and really like the music. They're not my favorite though, the best story being Colors (Wii), I don't know what my fav music is. It could be Unleashed, but if it isn't, the awesome story and music definately serve as some nice padding.

Overall, there's nothing I can say I really dislike about the game. The medal collecting? I only had to collect once, and that was barely hard. The hubworlds? I REALLY don't dislike them. I mean, they're not needed or anything, but I really don't find it a problem. Of course there's the really small nitpicking, but other than those, the game really doesn't have any notable flaws, or even small flaws. Just extremely small nitpicks.

Edited by TheAwesomefroggy
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Not to be listy, but with so many different styles its hard to compare.

Sonic 3&K/Sonic adventure 2 battle (Very hard to decide)

I consider them to be the masters of their style. My best 2D sonic game is sonic 3&K. Aside from having what I think is the best special stage, but its just an amazing game. Its pretty long too. The story is amazing and the gameplay/level design/graphics are all top notch.

Sonic adventure 2 battle

Probably my favorite sonic game of all time. It has SOOOOOOO much content, the level design/art design is AWESOME, the story is probably the best in a sonic game this far, and of course eggman. His performance in this game is by far the best ((Not saying mike isn't good in unleashed/colors/generations, but none of those are nearly as dark and villainous as SA2))

I like all 3 of the gameplay styles ((Although I think that the mechs can be a bit stiff at times)) but other then that, I find it all very cool and fun. It was my 2nd sonic game and I played it for HOURS. Me and my friends would see who can get the strongest and better chao. I won of course because I knew how to work the garden far better then he could. But my favorite part is probably atmosphere. I love the pyramid levels like sand ocean and pyramid cave, mainly to look at the scenery. I just like everything about this game, the ONLY thing that is getting boring to me is the chao garden, but other then that, I think everything is top notch and still holds up today. In fact, its the only sonic game that I can play over and over again and not get bored, not even sonic 3 can do that.

• 2 weeks later...

For me it's Sonic 3 & Knuckles. There is just SO much I love about this game. It looks beautiful, the story is brilliant and works well even today. Being able to play the game as Sonic one way then have a very different experience with Knuckles is great. It introduced speed runs.

But most of all it's the sheer scope of the thing. It's just amazing. And the character that is present in the character sprites is wonderful. I never forget Knuckles laughing at me or Mecha Sonic jumping onto the Master Emerald to power himself back up.

I feel it's by far the best of the main trilogy and, obviously, the best Sonic game yet. It's very closely followed by Generations, though.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Mine is a tie between 3 games:

Sonic 3 (and S3&K I guess): This is my favourite sonic game and what I consider the closest to a near-perfect sonic 2D game. The level design is awesome, because you go all around and not from left to right. Not that saying otherwise is a particularly bad thing. You know what's funny? I used to think that Sonic 2 was the best Sonic 2D game, but now I have played Sonic 3 & Knuckles, I think that's much better. I even prefer Sonic CD over 2. The reason I put (S3&K) in brackets is because I don't really enjoy the & Knuckles stages that much. Not that I loathe them, as I really like Lava Reef Zone, and Sandopolis is pretty cool. 

Sonic Adventure 2: Aah, I really like this game. Mostly the Sonic stages, I still like the hunting stages though, they're ok. I like spin dashing through the levels, and the level layout. I actually don't hate any of the Sonic/Shadow stages and I adore the Chao Garden!!! Ahh the memories trying to get chaos chao and leaving the gamecube on overnight lol.

Sonic Heroes: This is my first sonic game ever, if you don't count Sonic 3D Blast 5 (The music is loud and terrible). I love all the levels, and to be honest I don't really hate playing the same stage 4 times, but I can see that being a problem. I like the how colourful the levels are and I found them really memorable to be honest. The bosses are one of the best in the series as well imo.

My favorite game(s) of all time in the sonic franchise are actually two games Sonic CD and Sonic 3 and Knuckles. The two games are tied because I feel that both had the best gimmicks and soundtracks out of all the Sonic games. FIrst off Sonic Cd introduced a gimmick that is yet to come back in a Sonic game, the time travel gimmick. It's cool to have the level itself change just by passing one object and gaining enough momentum. From a technical standpoint it's amazing for when it came out as well, and is the largest Sonic game to date still I believe. (In all it technically has 72 levels!)

Sonic 3 and Knuckles is another wonderful game that is tied with Sonic CD because it introduced Knuckles in such a way that made him to be so cool. It was a wonderful marketing ploy Sega did and since Sonic 3 was released Sonic got his first rival. The soundtrack for both games is another feature I love. S3K produced sound on the Genesis that wasn't heard in a Sonic game before, the improved sound driver and the ability to swap banks for the various different drum samples and songs that were programmed in was impressive. Plus Sonic CD had CD quality audio, yet another feature that was new at the time. The Japanese soundtrack is my favorite btw. So yes, these are the reasons why these games are my favorite of all time and why I simply cannot pick one over the other. :)