A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The Future of Sonic

Clouder

So, SEGA apparently have been promoting several of their franchises, hinting big plans for them. But they have been promoting Sonic even more than the others. But yesterday, this picture was found on a magazine:

sonicadvert.png

Quote:

With Sonic the Hedgehog we aim to involve the fans in a variety of ways, including boxed and digital games, TV, comics and much more.

So what does this mean? Will we be seeing a reboot of Sonic?

In case you think they are going to roll out more, that ad was taken out of a few magazines, as reported by The Sonic Stadium:

Sega have taken out several full page adverts for Sonic in a number of licensing and product magazines. The advert has so far been spotted in both the April edition of Licensing Worldwide Magazine and the Kazachok Licensing Fair magazine which was given out at a major licensing fair a few days ago.

Now before you get too excited or just discard this as not really being interesting. These magazines are aimed at people who would be investing in brands or buying licenses which other companies hold so they can use their assets. Jazwares, F4F, Sideshow Collectables etc, these are the companies that magazines like this are designed for… not gamers.

So why am I reporting it then? Well, when you look at the larger picture, it becomes a bit more interesting. As far as I’m aware, Sega have not done anything like this for well over a year. Advertising in this way indicates that they’re trying to push Sonic as a brand in a big way. Lately, we’ve been reporting a lot of news about new Sonic toys and merchandise which have not been tied to just one region.

My question to you is this, why would you promote or push a brand in the way Sega have been doing, unless you had something big planned to back it up? As strong as the Sonic name and brand is, unless you have something new on the way, you’re not likely to see a return on your promoting efforts unless you have something in store for both your fans and investors to get excited about.

But it's not really a reboot of the series, more like SEGA expanding the Sonic brand to more than games and comics lately. Seen the toys, shirts and whatnot that arrived since like his 20th anniversary? I think SEGA wants to make Sonic a more globalized name and not restrict it to getting more exposure than the other between regions.