A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Pokemon thread

Lhancat

Decided to create a general thread for Pokemon! What are your favourite games/Pokemon/Generation in this series? What's your favourite spin off?

My favourite game is Pokemon Emerald. I loved that game so much, and Gen 3 in general was the very first Pokemon game I was allowed to get after going through a rough childhood of anti-Pokemon parents. I love the battle mechanics, the story, and I love Hoenn and the Secret Bases!

My favourite spin off is the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series. Mainly, Explorers of Sky. The story is amazing, and even though the gameplay has a hard learning curve, It was well worth it just for the story!

What are your favourites? :)

• Like 1

I've surprisingly not played many Pokemon games. I've mostly never had a chance besides the rare occasions at a friends house when I was younger.

I'll certainly pick up the next handheld title when it comes out. Pokemon seems like a good series overall.

I got into the series with Yellow, as well...except I never got out of it. Played the games, watched the show, got Pokemon Yahtzee, remember begging my parents for Charmander-scented cologne as a kid....yeeaahhh.....

My favorite games are HeartGold and SoulSilver, I'm one of the many who really loved Gold and Silver, and I feel the remakes really polished up already fantastic games. They're usually my recommendation for people wanting to get into the games, or just get back into them. My favorite spin-off would have to be Mystery Dungeon Blue Rescue Team. If I actually owned Conquest and got to play it I'd probably have to go with that though. I also really want to play Explorers of Sky, and the new one coming out for the 3DS.

Are any of you here current users of either Pokemon Online or Pokemon Showdown? For those who have neither and don't know what they are, Pokemon Online is a downloadable program that allows you to build profiles and teams and battle others, whilst Showdown is a broswer-based version, albeit with less customisation options. At any rate, they're both fun and flexible tools, allowing you to craft all manner of Pokemon teams and battle others online for free. I personally prefer Online for team-building, but Showdown for actual battling. Luckily, the latter offers a tool allowing you to import teams from the former, so it's all good.

For those who are interested:

Pokemon Online

Pokemon Showdown

I'm currently trying to build a mono-red team.

...I don't know, either.

Rumour has it that the announcement has something to do with Pokemon Rainbow, a 3DS title featuring the first four regions, an overhauled graphical style and battle system, as well as 20 new Pokemon, including a new Eevelution, Draconeon. No rewards to anyone who miraculously guesses what type this one might be. At any rate, as mentioned, this is only rumour, so don't get your hopes up too much. Does anyone know what time the announcement will actually be made?

Scratch that, it has been revealed.

Pokemon X and Y announcement

Really not liking those starters, although I'd probably have to pick Fennekin, if any. Very fond of that flying Legendary though, adore the colour scheme.

I'm more of a sandstorm-user and dark-type trainer, myself. Regardless, I agree. Hopefully their evolutions make up for the pitiful first-forms. As I mentioned earlier, the fox is more tolerable than the other two, but Chespin is a brown Oshawott with absurd head decoration, and Froakie just looks ridiculous, especially with that puffy white mass surrounding it's shoulders, chest and back.

...are those cotton buds on it's nose?

I love just about everything so far! I was hoping we could move past four-way movement after going full 3D but I can wait. I think the starters look great, I'm definitely picking Fennekin for my strut around PokeEurope. I'm also in the odd place of immediately liking all three starters for the first time in ages. I also think both Legendaries are great...really I'm just very optimistic for this game. I'm hoping my girlfriend has a 3DS by October, I plan on getting both versions anyway so it'd be nice to play through with her. though she still needs to beat my copy of HeartGold I"ve loaned to her...

Man I remember back in the day when I was younger when Pokemon Online first came out! Then got shut down due to a law sue by the owners of Pokemon (I forgot the company's name).  I may wanna check out this game again :) It'd be wonderful to bring back those old memories!

• 3 weeks later...

My favourite game is Pokemon Yellow, It was the only game where you can get all the starters with out trading. Also Any game that took place in Johto was awsome as well. I would pick my favourite pokemon of all time, Cyndaquil. after beating all the gym leaders and beating the champ I would go to back to the kanto region and it was like two games in one. After beating everything there you fight the true pokemon master, The guy you played in yellow!

• 4 weeks later...

I would have to say Pokemon Blue is my favourite as it was my first ever Pokemon game and I loved it. I now own Pokemon Leaf Green, but I don't enjoy it as much as I did Pokemon Blue.

Pokemon is awesome and all, but the games just seem to be the same thing remade with some more little additions. Don't get me wrong I love the Pokemon universe, it would be awesome if Pokemon truly existed.

Most of you have probably already heard, but I'll go ahead and post it anyway. A new eevelution has been announced; Sylveon.

Sylveon.png

(Hideous thing) It's typing has not yet been revealed, and I don't suppose anyone here would be willing to hazard a guess? Colour scheme and the moves demonstrated thus far could suggest Normal, butterfly motifs could suggest Bug, whilst it's delicate form and various wavey appendages could imply a Flying-type. Some thought that it's name might suggest what it is. Unfortunately, there are many variables. The name could be derived from Sylvan, a spirit of the woods, Parthenos Sylvia, a species of butterfly, whilst the French name for Sylveon is Nymphali, which could reference greek mythology, where Nymph referred to a female nature deity. There is also a family of butterflies known as Nymphalids.

So, yeah, the internet is at somewhat of a loss here.

I'm gonna guess Dragon. Nintendo have been pulling a lot of surprises with Pokemon lately, so the more ferfecthed it is, the more likely it is to be true. No one would have guessed Black and White were to get sequels instead of "Pokemon Grey".

Also, regarding Yvetal and Xerenas typings. I'm going to guess Yvetal to be Dark/Dragon. While Xerenas is going to be part Steel.

I'm mostly guessing this based off their looks. Making Yvetal part Flying is only going to make it a poor excuse for a Legendary, considering a Pikachu could take it down with a well aimed Thunderbolt.

Dark/Dragon as a typing has already been given to a pseudo-legendary; Hydreigon (and his evolutionary line), and they tend to possess unique type combinations. I believe Flying is definitely on the table for Yveltal. Also, the rumour mill is running almost at full capacity it seems. Quoted from an SSMB topic:

Anyway, I have compiled a list of all the New Pokemon I know of, about 80 or so of the 99. Some of them I have only heard about from fellow co-workers and second-hand sources, while others I have seen myself. Mainly, there’s a few “new line” Pokemon I have yet to see, or don’t have much information on, so there are some gaps left to fill. With New Evolutions and Baby Pokemon, there are also quite a few of them I’ve yet to see for myself, yet I have heard which Pokemon are obtaining them.

As I said before, this Generation has a large amount of New Evolutions and Baby Pokemon, while the New-Line Pokemon are less orthodox than previous Gens, bumping old Generational archetypes (there’s no real early-bird, rodent, or bug this time around) in favor of mostly new, or underused, type combinations.

There are a large amount of Old Pokemon present during the main campaign, the Regional Dex around 400 I believe including the New Pokemon. New Evolutions are, I believe, obtainable during the main campaign and not pushed towards the end like in Diamond and Pearl. On the note of Old Pokemon, Gen V Pokemon can be transfered over, although I do not know the exact mechanics of the transfer process.

Starters

Chespin Evo

-Grass Type

-Sharpens up, little whirligig on hood.

Chespin Final

-Grass/Flying Type

-“Mammalian Garchomp”, helicopter-based

Fennekin Evo

-Fire/Psychic Type
-Lotus-shaped ear fluffs

Fennekin Final
-Fire/Psychic Type
-Tail splits into lotus-shape as well, very majestic and Ninetales-like

Froakie Evo
-Water Type
-Grows a horn, gets larger and more cloud fluff.

Froakie Final
-Water
-Huge, horned frog with clouds covering its body.

Legendaries
Xerneas is a Psychic/Rock Type and Yveltal is a Flying/Ghost Type

The other legends are a "Diamond Tiger", a "Club Peacock", a "Spade T-Rex", and a "Heart Cobra".

New Lines

A ”Robo Mouse" Pokemon
Type: Electric/Steel 
Description: New Pikachu? Metallic mouse with computer mouse plug tail.

A "Straight-jacket Ghost" Pokemon
Type: Ghost/Steel
Description: Shadowy, creature with a roundish head, thin body. Has metallic chains wrapped around its chest resembling a straight-jacket.

A "White Feathered Dinosaur" Pokemon
Type: Ice/Rock
Description: One of the Fossil Pokemon I believe. Bipedal, and raptor like, with white feathers covering its body. Has on a feathery “mask” making it resemble an owl.

A "Red Feathered Dinosaur" Pokemon
-Type: Fire/Rock
-Description: Other Fossil Pokemon it seems. Has reddish-brown and black feathers, and a red comb on its head making it resemble a rooster.

A "Crystal Girl" Pokemon
-Type: Ice/Psychic
-Description: Magical girl creature sleeping in a magical looking crystal that’s floating

A "Music Ox" Pokemon
Type: Ground/Rock
Description: Very large, black-furred ox. It has large white, horns that resemble tubas “they open at the end”, and it has curled, white hair that looks like an old-fashioned powdered wig.

A "Bodyguard Gargoyle" Pokemon
Type: Dragon/Fighting
Description: Grayish, doggish gargoyle creature that’s very stout and tough looking. It has red patterns on its arms that look like tattoos, and little red earrings.

A ''Scent Dog'' Pokemon
Type: Normal
Description: Little, hound dog with a prominent nose. Probably the “plainest” of the New Pokemon.

A "Hunting Dog" (Evolution of the Scent Dog Pokemon)
Description: Larger, with floppy ears covering its eyes, and an ever larger nose.

A "Trashcan Monster" Pokemon
Type: Poison/Steel).
Description: A Trashcan with leech-like mouth, looks “cartoony” as it bends in ways metal should not.

A Dumpster Monster (Evolution of the Trashcan Monster)
Type: Poison/Steel
Description: Dumpster (still “cartoony” though) with trash compactor mouth. Predatory relationship with previous pollution-based Pokemon I hear.

A "Black Bird Monk" Pokemon
Type: Fighting/Flying
Description: Small and little, with bowl-cut “hair” feathers, long nose, and black/white feathers. Has “glove” looking hand-feathers. Resembles a black/white monk outfit, or martial arts outfit.

Evolution of Black Bird Monk
Type: Fighting/Flying
Description: Larger, more crow-looking. I believe the line is inspired by Bruce Lee, because their appearance resembles the famous black/white outfit he’s known for.

A "Locust Ninja" Pokemon
Type: Bug/Dark
Description: Green and purple bipedal little bug, with its body resembling “ninja” armor a bit, with little scythe arms. Has under-bite with little teeth that stretch up past its head.

A "Locust Assassin" (Evolution of the Locust Ninja)
Type: Bug/Dark
Description: Looks more “ferocious”, with longer scythes, meaner face, and two sets of “underbite” teeth.

A Kangaroo
Description: Resembles a peach-colored, little kangaroo. It looks like a normal one compared to Kangaskahn, and is much cuter. No pouch.

A Fighting Kangaroo (Evolution of the Kangaroo)
Type: Fighting/Normal
Description: Larger, and tougher looking. Has black spots around its eyes, and little black “armor pads” running down its tail. Instead of a pouch, has an x-shaped bandage on its stomach.

A "Blue Fishing Cat" Pokemon
Type: Water
Description: It’s a bluish wild cat with black spots, and its ears resemble fish-fins. Also has a curvy, hook-like tail.

A "Metallic Fishing Cat" (Evolution of the Blue Fishing Cat)
Type: Steel/Water
Description: Larger, leopard like. It has longer, curved talons, and a thin metal “rod” runs along its back, ending with a long, steel hooked tail.

A "Coconut Soldier" Pokemon
Type: Fire/Grass
Description: Has a coconut army helmet with a green palm on the top. Main body is roundish, red/green “camo” colored, and it’s got a protruding “cannon” mouth.

A "Guerrilla Coconut" (Evolution of the Coconut Soldier) 
Type: Grass/Fire
Description: Personally my favorite new design yet. Resembles first form, but now has a large bush surroundings its body, in addition to two sprouting out of its head, as if to camouflage itself.

A "Mud Pig" Pokemon
Type: Fighting/Ground
Description: Small, roundish bipedal warthog with a red Mohawk, and mud covering its pink body on its bottom half, making it look like it has on shorts.

The Evolution of the "Mud Pig"
Type: Fighting/Ground
Description: Larger, very muscular looking like a wrestler. Also has mud covering its face, looking like a mask, and prominent lips sticking out. Resembles Kinnikuman.

An "Ice Bug" Pokemon
Type: Bug/Ice
Description: Little, white caterpillar creature. Has white “cocoon” wrapped around its body like a snow jacket, including a part at its neck where two strands hang out like a scarf.

A "Stained Glass Moth" (Evolution of the Ice Bug)
Type: Bug/Ice
Description: White, pretty moth with striking, icy wings that are multi-colored and resemble stained-glass windows.

A "Melting Lizard" Pokemon
Type: Ground/Poison 
Description: Quadrupedal, fat little lizard that’s orange with black patterns on it. It’s got oil substance falling out of its mouth, and little oil splotches around its feet.

Evolution of the "Melting Lizard"
Type: Ground/Poison
Description: Larger, and its whole body has a “dripping” look to it, like its falling off. It’s legs are “unseen”, as the art has it emerging from a pool of black oil. I think it can “melt” into it.

A "Star Creature Pseudo-Legend" Pokemon
Type: Dark/Electric
Description: Little yellow-black star-shaped creature, sort of dragon-like.

A"Planet Creature Pseudo-Legend (1st Evolution of the Star Creature Pseudo-Legend) 
Type: Dark/Electric Evolution.
Description: Very spherical, planet-like with yellow “saturn” ring around body.

A "Black Hole Creature Pseudo-Legend" (Final Evolution of the Star Creature Pseudo-Legend)
Type: Dark/Electric
Description: Humanoid, with vortex patterns on its body that swirl inward. Line seems to be based on “star life cycle”. Presumably Pseudo, as they come before Legendaries it seems.

A "Clover Dragon" Pokemon
Type: Dragon/Grass
Description: Small, bipedal yellow “European” dragon with green wings and tail. Its wings have little clover leafs on them.

The "Clover Dragon's 1st Evolution"
Description: Larger, slightly more serpentine, with more clover leaves on it. Has four legs in addition to wings.

The "Clover Dragon's Final Evolution"
Description: Very elongated, with multiple legs, two sets of wings, with clovers sprouting out over its body.

A "Ghost Jellyfish" Pokemon 
Type: Ghost/Water 
Description Weird, white “ghost sheet” jellyfish, with a little dark-blue body underneath.

A "Ghost Dolphin" (1st Evolution of the Ghost Jellyfish)
Description: Still has the white ghost-sheet top, and dark-blue lower body, but resembles a dolphin more so.

A "Ghost Whale" (Final Evolution of the Ghost Jellyfish)
Description: Resembles a killer whale, with the white ghost-sheet covering the front-part of its body, although there are holes in parts of it giving it the spots you see on an orca.

Part of me wants to believe it's true, but they're missing the usual cat Pokemon that's found fairly early in game...unless that blue fishing cat thing is it? I just want something like Purrloin or Glameow, but with a better moveset and stats so I can actually use the thing.

• Like 1

- Off topic here - (don't kill me please)

But I'm wanting to get back into the Pokemon series, but my collection is so big...any idea what game to start with again or what were your guys' favorite games?