A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 1 & 2 Remastered (Sonic 2 released)

It's really good. I'm hearing melodies I didn't know existed with the remastered soundtrack.

I assume this will be the version that is released on next gen systems.

Again? No more Sonic 1 ports to consoles....even if it's a Taxman production...

I've spent a good amount of time with this updated port, and I can gladly confirm its quality. Unfortunately though, it doesn't seem to yet be quite as polished as the Sonic CD port; I've run into several instances of songs failing to play, in terms of bugs. Nothing glitchy gameplay-wise that I can recall.

The Special Stages seem to have been botched compared to what I remember. The bumpers are far too powerful, and the third Special Stage opens immediately with one of them; if you don't press anything in the first half-second or so, you'll hit the bumper and fly straight into a GOAL block. Not cool.

• 4 months later...

Sonic 2 Remastered was just announced and is meant to help headline SEGA's winter mobile releases.

TKC1kI6.jpg

H4K8AwT.jpg

4v2az48.jpg

TouchArcade article: http://toucharcade.com/2013/10/21/sega-announce-winter-release-lineup-headlined-by-sonic-the-hedgehog-2-remastered/

As far as console releases go, over at Sonic Retro Taxman said he can't give any news just yet and tells everyone to "stay tuned". As far as Sonic 3&K go, basically SEGA is aware of the demand but say it's not in the cards, for now. I'd bet just about anything that's referring to ongoing music issues with Sonic 3.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'd be more excited if the release was on something that wasn't a phone or tablet. The Tax remasters are great and all, but they really need to be on something with a controller. (That is, normally has a controller. And Ouya doesn't count) That said I bought Sonic 1 anyway and I'll most likely buy Sonic 2, if only to see Hidden Palace Zone.

I'd be more excited if the release was on something that wasn't a phone or tablet. The Tax remasters are great and all, but they really need to be on something with a controller. (That is, normally has a controller. And Ouya doesn't count) That said I bought Sonic 1 anyway and I'll most likely buy Sonic 2, if only to see Hidden Palace Zone.

I've had my fingers crossed for a console release for ages. I'm sure we'll get one sooner or later but the wait is killing me haha.

Oh shit it's Hidden Palace Zone!

BAW BAW BAW BAW BALLS BALLS BAW BAW (extra internets for the SFGHQers that remember this)

If the HPZ revival is good enough, hopefully someone puts it in a romhack. Not playing a game that defaults to crappy controls.

Oh shit it's Hidden Palace Zone!

BAW BAW BAW BAW BALLS BALLS BAW BAW (extra internets for the SFGHQers that remember this)

If the HPZ revival is good enough, hopefully someone puts it in a romhack. Not playing a game that defaults to crappy controls.

It's one act, the level design fits in very well with the rest of the game and the boss is neat. Haven't been able to play it myself but have seen a layout of the act. The best part, however, is how you get to the game through normal progression. Won't spoil that one myself.

Also for anyone playing this, pay special attention to what happens after the credits.

It's one act, the level design fits in very well with the rest of the game and the boss is neat. Haven't been able to play it myself but have seen a layout of the act. The best part, however, is how you get to the game through normal progression. Won't spoil that one myself.

Also for anyone playing this, pay special attention to what happens after the credits.

YOU'RE RIGHT!

Sonic after the Sequel is Canon now!

Potato,I hope you're joking,because you just can't be fucking serious if you think that's true.

The HPZ and the thing after the credits are a really nice touch,I will difinitely buy this if I ever get a decent mobile.

Edit: Overbound,you're spoiling it man! D:

Edited by Shinbaloonba

So yeah, I've been playing this and I still have the same opinions as Sonic 1. It's neat, but the controls are too imprecise for Sonic. I feel like the only reason Tax does these ports is because Sega didn't want him using his Retro engine for something actually good.

Hidden Palace is an average zone at best, and Tails being able to actually airlift Sonic is a nice touch, but it's just extra fluff in what was already a solid game.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...