A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Classic/Modern Split.

With classic Sonic being retconed from time travel to an alternate dimension it's looking like Sega are treating classic and modern as seperate brands with each side having a shared core cast and other characters being kept for one side of the franchise.

Both get access to Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman and Metal Sonic.

Modern has everyone else introduced or updated from Adventure onwards.

Classic gets to use the previously abandoned characters like Fang, Mighty and Ray.

• Like 1

I'll be the opposition then, I'd say forget the now, focus on the good times. As empirical evidence has shown, experimentation only leads to failure, so I'm all for a split of the continuities, though I'd prefer if it weren't regarded as such (after all, nobody really questioned the time passed in-universe between the events of S3K and the events of SAdv(DX), did anyone?), but just as different versions of the same thing. If I had to cancel one of these "sub-series", for lack of better term, I'd say throw what is commonly referred to as Modern Sonic out of the window, for the same reasoning as in the opening line, you either try and fail or you stay in your bubble of predictable results, the latter of which is more comfortable to me, even with the "risk" of not being able to reach quality levels beyond the expected amounts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't really know how I feel about this. I always thought of Classic Sonic as a younger Sonic, as Sonic Generations quite clearly stated this was true. I really like the idea of Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic both having their own separate brands, however I'm not a fan of the different dimension idea. I vastly prefer Classic Sonic just being a younger Sonic. Distancing them to such a degree seems unnecessary and convoluted to me.

19 hours ago, Stritix said:

I don't really know how I feel about this. I always thought of Classic Sonic as a younger Sonic, as Sonic Generations quite clearly stated this was true. I really like the idea of Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic both having their own separate brands, however I'm not a fan of the different dimension idea. I vastly prefer Classic Sonic just being a younger Sonic. Distancing them to such a degree seems unnecessary and convoluted to me.

here's what happened: sonic interacted with his past self, which changed the past, therefore the timeline split into two seperate universes which possibly created the phantom ruby in the process.