Rabid-Coot

Sonic Mania.

25 posts in this topic

With a little over a week to go before release special stages, bonus stages and a time trial mode have been revealed.

Posted (edited)

The special stage is a pretty cool expansion of the one from CD with touches from Sonic 1 and 3 from what I can spot. But to me the most interesting aesthetic touch is the low poly player models, which really reminds me of the full 3D special stage from the Saturn port of 3D Blast. Whether or not that reference is a deliberate one is open for debate, but it's neat to see something so strongly evocative of what is probably one of the least known Sonic special stages.

But if they really wanted to be accurate to the "2D Sonic on the Sega Saturn" look the game seems to be going for, they should've done like Sonic R and had an absurdly low draw distance on the special stage. If you've only ever played R on PC or in Gems Collection you won't know what I'm talking about, but, trust me, the Saturn version is basically Silent Hill at 50 miles an hour.

Great to see Blue Spheres back. I fucking rock Blue Spheres, which is why 3&K is the only Genesis Sonic I've ever 100%ed despite being the biggest and most complicated by far. I always get stuck embarrassingly early into Sonic 2's special stages (at least until I find somebody to assist as Tails who can avoid the damn bombs), and I don't care enough about Sonic 1 to bother.

I've always thought that Blue Spheres would've made a great Sonic arcade game.

Edited by Kyoko Soryu

Posted (edited)

I'm really hyped for the Special Stages especially! Was actually really happy to see them use Saturn-style 3D models. As for the Bonus Stages, they are cool too. I mean, it's just Blue Sphere with updated graphics.

Heard a rumor that you unlock tokens at the end of the Bonus Stages, and if that's true, I'm guessing they will unlock secret material like concept art. I think it would be really cool, and would give a good reason for completing them. As Sega has not officially confirmed this yet (I believe someone who played the game just said it), take what I say with a grain of salt.

Edited by Starturbo

I'm personally still a little salty about not being able to go ahead and "preorder/download" this thing from the Nintendo eshop. However, that being said, I feel similar to how Kyoko has said. S3&K was just magical in the special zone aspect. That chillingly dry elevator music just made it more entrancing the more I played. 

1 person likes this

Dat Mitsuyoshi as the announcer.

Wonder if the game will play 'GAME OVER YEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHH' if you run out of lives...

Sonic Mania's soundtrack is perfect.

I can't wait for this game, first time I double dip at launch.

I saw recently that the file size isn't going to be very large, which goes to show how well a company could truly handle a game like this and compress it just the right way. I know I'm going to get the Switch version, so I hope the eShop survives.

remembers all the horrible things that have happened to the eShop over the years

I'm really interested to see why the delay happened. I mean, I've stated multiple times they could delay the game and I wouldn't mind it because I know they are doing it right. But a delay this close to release might mean some code needs to be reviewed. Did the delay have an explanation sir? 

No real explanation, really. Wish the delay affected all systems + PC to be fair but oh well. Can't have that thanks to Nintendo's shitty store system that can't lock out digital codes before release.

Better watch out for dem spoilers... or just get a console version if you can.

I wonder how much of the pre-announcement meeting was working out the biggest sorry geture they could give that would also be the smallest actual handout.

I'm surprised it has been delayed so close to release.

Digital has a very short path to release, they could have been working on fixing whatever the issue is as much as possiible and made the decision to delay when it was clear it wouldn't be sorted in time.

1 person likes this

I want Sonic Mania on my computer, and I want it now. Which button do I have to press?

Game's pretty damn awesome. Four hours in, looking for giant rings everywhere without much luck...

Now I'm tired so I'll continue later.

I've just completed it fully, (well minus playing through Tails and Knuckles) but overall it's pretty damn awesome even though it's pretty glitchy in parts. I have to say I'm loving it, really good effort. 

I think it's fucking fantastic, and I'm one of those assholes who thinks there hasn't been a good Sonic game in well over a decade.

Been playing all morning and the only glitch I've encountered was getting jammed into a wall in Chemical Plant by a moving block, but I got right out by jumping.

Edited by Kyoko Soryu

Playing a game with a big dumb nostalgia grin for the second time in two months. 5 zones done and loving every minute of it.

Games awesome, I'm more than half way through as Sonic and as Knuckles. Messed around with debug last night as well and some of the other unlockable stuff. Having difficulty with the 4th special stage though. I need that damn fourth Chaos Emerald!

Edited by Shaun Shikeishuu

Advance, Rush, 4 and those handheld versions of the console games 2D Sonic never really went away. Now we have Mania doing 2D Sonic so well hopefully it will be the standard going forwards.

This is the most fun I have had with a Sonic game in years.