A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Roblet Land

Starturbo

Roblet-Land-Logo-8-5-20-4-X.png

Roblet Land is a 2D pet simulator where you take care of robots.

Keep in mind, this game is a heavy work in progress, so the images and video here do NOT represent the final game (although the artstyle is likely final).

Screenshot-24.png

Screenshot-25.png

Screenshot-26.png

Screenshot-27.png

Screenshot-28.png

Roblet-Land-Forum-Image.png

You can visit these links to keep up with the game's progress:

DeviantArt: https://www.deviantart.com/starturbo

Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SRrgAqM

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/turbowavegames/

IndieDB: https://www.indiedb.com/games/roblet-land/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheStarturbo?lang=en

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheStarSonic64/

Feedback is welcome!

Edited by Starturbo

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of updates! You may have noticed that the team has been switched around quite a bit. Anyways, I don't have much to show yet, sadly, as the graphics are being reworked and I haven't touched the game's code in a while. For now, here's some animations by BountyXSnipe (creator of Wildlife Survivor, a game Markiplier has played, as well as other upcoming projects). He gave me permission to share these, so hopefully it's alright to post them here. Keep in mind, I'll likely have another team member adjust the shading once all the animations are done.

Technic_walk_up.gif

Technic_walk_down.gif

Edited by Starturbo

• 3 weeks later...

PNyx9Mw.png

Testing out some new tiles, along with WIP fog! Credit to Bas-Makes-Games for helping with the tiles. Keep in mind, the "rocks" in the dirt will likely be changed soon and flowers along with other types of tiles will eventually be added (was going to make the flowers objects with depth, hence why they were removed, though I may make them part of the tiles again). In fact, a lot of the game's graphics will likely be getting revamped, and as you can see the water hasn't been changed yet. Still, not too sure if the new grass fits the game well or not so, feedback is welcome!

Progress has been somewhat slow, as we have all been busy, but hopefully it will speed up in the future. Keep in mind, we aren't a registered company right now, and no one is getting paid. I do want to pay others for their work eventually though, and I'm thinking of maybe doing a Kickstarter once the game is close to finished. Not too sure about that, and there's already a Patreon if you wish to support the game now. Worth noting that I'm close friends with some of the team, and I know everyone pretty well, though we are spread out across the globe. Everyone is fine working for free, though I feel it would only be fair to pay them at some point. Feel free to leave your thoughts on this as well!

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. Been rewriting the game from the ground up (still in GMS1), as the code was getting messy and unoptimized. I want the game to run on Android at 30FPS at least (though, perhaps I shouldn't focus on that too much right now), and the rewrite runs fairly well at that room speed. 60FPS on Android sort of works too, but it lags on some devices. However, that could just be a GameMaker thing.

Anyways, this means that the game is no longer using a bought asset for collisions, and now uses state machines so that (hopefully) I won't have to rewrite again.

Here's some GIFs of the rewrite, in order from older, to more recent. Doesn't have everything that the old version had, but it's getting there.

Roblet_Land_Gameplay_15.gif

Roblet_Land_Gameplay_16.gif

Roblet_Land_Gameplay_19.gif

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of progress lately. Working on fixing collisions, as I discovered an issue involving platforms placed in front of other platforms (hadn't done so before). Once this is fixed, I shouldn't have to worry about it again.

Anyways, for now, here's some recent screenshots. Thanks everyone for being patient!

Roblet_Land_5_22_2018_8_21_17_PM.png

Roblet_Land_5_22_2018_8_21_43_PM.png

• 4 weeks later...

Figured I'd update this topic with a new gameplay video, this time without commentary. There's some noticeable glitches here, particularly around feeding, since I just added it at the time of this writing.

Edited by Starturbo

I'm in the process of re-branding Roblet Land as a solo (or at least, mostly solo) project. There are many reasons for this, but it's nothing personal against the other team members. The former team and I are still on good terms.

Sorry if this disappoints anyone. As a result of the re-branding, I'm thinking of redoing the game's art. Been experimenting with different styles, and I came up with this. Feedback is welcome!

Technic_and_R_15_Roblet_6_22_18_8_X.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a bit of an unfortunate announcement to make (depending on how you look at it). I recently put Roblet Land on hold to revamp my previous 2D platformer project (Superstar Technic). Let me explain.

I originally thought Roblet Land would be a very simple project, but it turns out there's far too much that will need to go into it with the current plans. I worry it will never get done if I make it my first project.

That being said, it isn't cancelled, and I really want to come back to it later. I've been working on remaking ST from the ground up again (still in GMS1), and I'll likely simplify it from the original plans and make some changes. I want it to stand out somehow, even if it won't be too unique.

In addition, I've considered starting a smaller, side project that's also a 2D platformer, though very different from ST and possibly most other platformers. This would also have a new protagonist, though I'm not sure I should start on this soon, or once ST is farther along.

I'm sorry if this disappoints anyone. Would appreciate if people could share their thoughts on all this.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/2/2018 at 3:39 PM, Starturbo said:

I have a bit of an unfortunate announcement to make (depending on how you look at it). I recently put Roblet Land on hold to revamp my previous 2D platformer project (Superstar Technic). Let me explain.

I originally thought Roblet Land would be a very simple project, but it turns out there's far too much that will need to go into it with the current plans. I worry it will never get done if I make it my first project.

That being said, it isn't cancelled, and I really want to come back to it later. I've been working on remaking ST from the ground up again (still in GMS1), and I'll likely simplify it from the original plans and make some changes. I want it to stand out somehow, even if it won't be too unique.

In addition, I've considered starting a smaller, side project that's also a 2D platformer, though very different from ST and possibly most other platformers. This would also have a new protagonist, though I'm not sure I should start on this soon, or once ST is farther along.

I'm sorry if this disappoints anyone. Would appreciate if people could share their thoughts on all this.

It's good to have some variation in game development. It can become incredibly repetitive when you work on the same project. It's not cancelled, so this seems like a good move. Perhaps you can then resume working on Roblet Land with more inspiration.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Figured I'd give a quick update here. Thinking I'll put Superstar Technic back on hold to focus on Roblet Land again. Reason for this is because I feel Roblet Land has a lot more potential, plus I have more of a clear plan with it. Downside is that it may take longer to make, though I could always work on much smaller projects now and then too. Maybe join some gamejams and such.

I was originally going to give the game a new protagonist, but due to the cameos Technic is already making, alongside the fact that making a new main character that's better may be tough, I decided to keep Technic as the protagonist. The rest of the playable characters will either be new, or reused from Superstar Technic, as I'm now thinking the game could be a spinoff of sorts with Roblet Land being Technic's main game.

Anyways, here's some extremely early footage of yet another rewrite. Apologies about the deleted screenshots, and the fact I don't want to show anything more (and can't really when it comes to the latest version of the game), but hopefully I'll have more to show soon!

Edited by Starturbo

• 3 months later...

Alright, so I made more changes to the game recently. Most notably, the tiles have been simplified quite a bit, and I added jumping back, which you might remember from really old versions of the game. Lots of placeholder stuff in the video in particular.

Sorry I keep deleting old screenshots and videos, by the way. I should really stop doing that.

2019-07-16-18-25-01-Roblet-Land.png

2019-07-16-18-23-57-Roblet-Land.png

2019-07-16-18-23-36-Roblet-Land.png

2019-07-16-18-21-07-Roblet-Land.png

2019-07-16-18-23-01-Roblet-Land.png

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

It's been a while since I posted here, so I figured I'd give a quick update. Yes, I am still working on this game, and have been frequently sharing info about it on Discord and Twitter. Made quite a few changes since the last post, though still have a lot of work to be done, as I haven't even gotten around to adding much of the interaction with Roblets yet. 

Check out the video and screenshots below to get an idea of what's been added/changed (the video uses a debug mode to showcase certain things, though it should still be fairly obvious what those things are). There's also some new Roblet designs at the bottom which haven't been implemented yet.

Roblet-Land-3-20-2020-10-05-10-PM.png

Roblet-Land-3-20-2020-10-06-59-PM.png

Roblet-Land-3-20-2020-10-07-18-PM.png

Roblet-Land-3-20-2020-10-07-56-PM.png

Roblet-Land-3-20-2020-10-08-09-PM.png

Roblet-Land-3-20-2020-10-08-32-PM.png

Roblet-Land-3-20-2020-10-09-28-PM.png

Roblets-Twitter-Image-5-X.png

So yeah, just wanted to let everyone know as well not to expect frequent updates here, as I'm mostly active on Twitter and Discord as mentioned. I will try to post updates here now and then, however.

Edited by Starturbo

• 4 months later...

Yes, I'm still working on this game. And yes, I ended up deleting a bunch of images again at one point. Sadly not much I can do about that now other than not do it again, and from here on I really don't think there would be a point anyways as the game's art is pretty solid and I plan to work on this project until it's done, as I feel pretty motivated now. So, sorry about that!

Regardless I updated the images/video and description on the main post at least. Don't want to post them here as well as that would be a bit redundant, so have a WIP title screen and main menu instead!

Roblet-Land-Menus.gif

Currently aiming to release a demo for SAGE 2021 as well, though no promises on that yet. Personally I think it's more than doable if I focus more than I have been so far.

Also want to thank everyone for their patience, I know there's been a lot of back and forth between projects and redos of the game from scratch, but no more of that hopefully. Looking forward to everyone being able to try the game out as soon as it's ready!

• 4 months later...

Hey it's been a while again, hasn't it? Since the last post, I've added several things to the game, first of all is the ability to hug Roblets to increase their mood.

To tell the truth, the reason this update has taken a while is a combination of not being motivated and running into game breaking bugs I've had to fix. With the more major bugs out of the way now though, I feel far more motivated and can focus on what's perhaps the most important part of the game, the core gameplay loop. And what better thing to start with than the mini-games!

First off, we have racing. Though unlike certain creatures with dots floating above their heads, Roblets drive vehicles. You can change the colors of these, but not much else. As you may be able to tell here, races are in a straight line and involve jumping over obstacles. Sadly this has to be the case as making regular tracks would have made the AI way more difficult to code, though I may still be able to have some tracks which have segments where the Roblets turn left or right (though still stay in their own lane).

There's a lot that may be changed over time and some extra animations I want to add as well, and as far as how stats come into play, the amount of times your Roblet is able to jump over obstacles depends on their defense stat (insert defensive driving joke here). Essentially, your Roblet will be able to jump over obstacles an amount that's equals their defense level (plus 1, so you don't hit into everything on level 0), taking a hit after that, and then it repeats. Future tracks will have different obstacles (both when it comes to type and amount) and race lengths, so having a high enough defense stat will be important. Like everything shown in this video though, the way the defense stat is used may be changed depending on what works best.

In addition, a tester for the game and I had the idea of being able to assign a pit crew before specific races (if not all of them) comprised of up to 4 of your other Roblets, which will upgrade your car mid-race, but only for the remainder of that race. The quality of the upgrade you receive would depend on those Roblets' skill stat, and also the amount of Roblets chosen. This all has yet to be implemented and frankly, I'm unsure if it will work well enough, but I really like this idea so I'm looking forward to testing it out!

You may have noticed the player's Roblet speeding up at times in the video, and also a boost counter in the debug UI (I've still yet to make proper UI for the racing mini-game). Boosting can be done by pressing the A button during a race, though keep in mind you'll only have a limited number of boosts, and while boosting Roblets will always hit into obstacles. But at the moment properly timing boosts is essential to winning the race, so hopefully most people enjoy that. I might consider changing the boost counter to fuel and having it deplete as more boosts are used, though I'm unsure how well that would work.

Lastly, aside from what I've mentioned, I of course plan to add a podium scene after each race, and rewards for the winners (which will be the primary way to level-up Roblets). So yes, as you can probably tell by now there's going to be a good amount of depth to these races, though there's still a lot of work that needs to be done.

I want to end by admitting that it's very well possible the public demo for the game could release in 2022 or later at this point, though I also feel it's quite possible that it could be done for 2021 especially considering what's finished for the racing mini-game so far really didn't take long at all to make. I also want to thank everyone for their support and patience. I can't stress enough how much it means to me. So thank you, and hopefully I'll have more cool stuff to share soon!

R-15-Roblet-Evolutions-Scaled-Down.png

Oh and by the way, here's some Roblet evolutions, most of which I've designed somewhat recently. Thinking there will be a lot more than this, though I don't plan to show all of them off and few of them have been sprited at this point in time. Regardless, stay tuned, and maybe you'll see more of these in the future!

Edited by Starturbo