A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Overture [Sunrise Gate Zone Demo Available]

Jassbec

69ykqZW.png

-August 7th SAGE 2014 Act 2 Demo Download-

Mirror Download

Sonic Overture is a fan made prequel to the original Sonic the Hedgehog, created to tell the story of Sonic's adventures on Christmas Island.
Sonic Overture takes place on Christmas Island, Sonic's birthplace. Dr. Eggman is mining the island for the precious substance known as phossil to power his machines as he investigates the mysterious South Island and the Special Zone. Sonic sets out to foil Eggman's plans. Meanwhile, a stranger from Christmas Island is following Sonic...

This game plays on much of the scrapped prototype material of Sonic the Hedgehog, such as canned designs and unused level imagery.
--------------------------------------------------

Screenshots
BRPeI6K.png

FOY6aNv.png

BE83uYe.png

Levels:

Sunrise Gate Zone:
Sunrise Gate takes place at sunrise. At the very edge of Christmas Island, right against the ocean, Sunrise Gate acts as the gateway to Christmas Island. Act 1 and 2 are a tropical plains area, similar to Green Hill Zone. Act 3 is a metallic rendition of the scenery, similar to Mecha Green Hill Zone.

Act 1 takes place near the edge of the island, and is based on the magazine prototype of Green Hill. Act 2 is inland and resembles early concept art for Green Hill. Act 3 is based on the early concept art featuring more Mayan themes with a chrome environment and set pieces. This area also emphasizes the “gate” part of Sunrise Gate.
Badniks:

Motobugged:
- “Eggman's prototype of the motobug. The computer still has a bug. What is the bug? We may never know!”
Splats:
- “This rabbit-like badnik hops around trying to hit Sonic. Not much of a threat!”
Listerion:
- “A sneaky gecko badnik who fires peas at Sonic from the treetops. Dodge those peas and take them out with a skillful jump!”
Sulabop:
- “Watch above for this badnik, who flies overhead and tries to dive bomb Sonic. Smash it with a spin attack when it's close!”

Granite Zone:

Granite Zone is located deeper within the island, featuring the ruins of temples in an overgrown jungle alongside a volcano. Wrought iron craftsmanship and ancient trees weave through the scenery, as lava from the volcano overflows into the ruins, making them difficult to traverse. Mysterious flying objects can be seen far away hovering in the sky.

Other Stuff:

Mr Lange's Sonic model:

sonic%20model%20wip%206.PNG

sonic%20model%20wip%207.PNG

Team Credits:

Jassbec
- Project Leader - Lead Programmer
Mr Lange
- Project Coordinator - Everything

PixAndPixels
- Digital Artist - Traditional Artist - Animator
AstroPiranha
- Digital Artist - Traditional Artist
Sly4Good
- Traditional Artist - Level Designer
Faseeh
-Musician - Level Designer
Can Of Nothing
-Musician
Toni Leys
-Musician
Sean Evans [Lone]
-Musician
TheSymphonicGames [sG]
-Musician

• Like 6

We've been making some great progress lately. We present the public debut of stage 2, Granite Zone.

http://pc0.hapisan.com/Overture/Granite%20Act%201%20Preview.mp3

Download

2eBfI2R.png

Granite Zone is located deeper within the island, featuring the ruins of temples in an overgrown jungle alongside a volcano. Wrought iron craftsmanship and ancient trees weave through the scenery, as lava from the volcano overflows into the ruins, making them difficult to traverse. Mysterious flying objects can be seen far away hovering in the sky.

We're also happy to announce that Sonic Overture will have a new home, as a new engine is in development that will free us from the limitations of MMF2 and Sonic Worlds. Stay tuned for updates.

Edited by Perfect Chaos Zero
Lange asked if I had better hosting, replaced original cause I got better hosting.
  • Like 13

Marble Zone always gets flac for it's diversion from the otherwise smooth gameplay, but I personally always had some odd affection for the bizarre level, and I'm glad to see an homage to it in Sonic Overture.

I also get this so sort of Altered Beast feel from the graphics, with it's somber colors and grainy texturing, which I absolutely freaking adore.

This game that you guys have crafted is truly amazing and I can't wait to see more of what it has in store for us.

And I'm interested in what this whole 'new engine' business is. I doubt it's anything major, but I'm wondering what 'limits' of MMF2 you'd need to exceed with a different engine.

• Like 1

And I'm interested in what this whole 'new engine' business is. I doubt it's anything major, but I'm wondering what 'limits' of MMF2 you'd need to exceed with a different engine.

Also what exactly is "new engine" if you'd mine mind answering. I really can't wait to see more!

MMF2 is stifling and painful to work with and Worlds has become so overly complicated that combined with MMF2's limitations it makes development far too grueling and frustrating, and some things are a living hell to accomplish. There will be more on the new engine soon, stick around.

Thanks for the positive feedback fellas.

• Like 4

I've been meaning to point this out but I think someone messed up on the rings color and it's been bothering me for quite some time now.

The top black box with the ring is from your demo while the bottom black box with the ring is the correct original version by Sega. See the difference anyone?

1001010100000000101_zps442c801c.png

The rings are correct. That was made in an attempt to make the rings look more shiny and gold like, but some tweaks have been made already as they were a bit messy looking in the demo.

Edited by Jassbec

I've been meaning to point this out but I think someone messed up on the rings color and it's been bothering me for quite some time now.

The top black box with the ring is from your demo while the bottom black box with the ring is the correct original version by Sega. See the difference anyone?

1001010100000000101_zps442c801c.png

We attempted our own rings for Overture. It was a messy experiment.

The shading on your bottom example is clean, but it's also rather matte and doesn't exactly portray a metallic surface, even if bright. The chrome shading as seen in the demo was an attempt but it didn't work for several reasons. We're aware it's not too good.

We've completely remade the rings now, and they look much better.

Edited by Mr Lange