A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Telltale Games's Minecraft: Story Mode

Clouder

https://mojang.com/announcing-minecraft-story-mode/

"...We’re collaborating with Telltale Games to create Minecraft: Story Mode! Here are some bullet points to celebrate!

• Minecraft: Story mode will be a narrative-driven video game created by Telltale Games. It will be about Minecraft.
  • Mojang is collaborating with Telltale and members of the community to make Minecraft: Story Mode as Minecrafty as possible.
  • The first episode will be released some time in 2015, and will be available on Xbox consoles, PlayStation consoles, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android-based devices.
  • Minecraft: Story Mode will be released episodically, just like The Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead, or the recent Tales from the Borderlands, which is another developer-collaboration series between Telltale Games and Gearbox Software.
  • We’re not intending on creating an “official” story for Steve, or explaining the world of Minecraft in detail. It will be a cool game.
  • The Minecraft 2 thing was a joke. No really. It was a joke."

So the creators of The Walking Dead games are making a Minecraft game? I wonder how this'll turn out...

I really hear nothing but good stuff from Telltale though? People go on and on about the walking dead games.

Doesn't change my opinion though, "story driven" minecraft is stupid as fuck, actually no it's the dumbest news in gaming right now. Other than SE trying to sell Type-0 as if it isn't a 4-year old psp game

• Like 3

Minecraft: Story Mode will be released episodically, just like The Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead, or the recent Tales from the Borderlands

What about Sonic 4?

Seriously though, I think they are going all wrong here. I don't know what Microsoft is thinking, but what made Minecraft so fun was that you could basically create your own story, because every time you play the game your experience is different. This new game will take away one of the main focuses of Minecraft. I can't believe they are doing this, really.

Edited by WreckingPrograms

I was gonna make a mod about a minecraft story... eh... id actually like to see this instead.

Edit:

Before any of you ask, i am just interested in seeing what this is about.

Edited by DashNK

Man, so much indifference in the game.

I, myself, am interested in the game. I'm just not sure how the hell they would pull it off. In a sandbox game where you yourself can make the story, and Minecraft is no exception. I don't know why there is so much indifference in the game, though.

Some of you guys mention that because this game takes away the "Main focuses" of Minecraft. You guys do know that this is a separate game aside from Minecraft, right? It's not like this game needs to be bought in order to continue playing Minecraft. You can play Minecraft and not buy Story Mode and still has all that "Oh, I can create my own story" elements into it.

You guys say that Telltale, with it's shitty engine, cannot pull off making a story driven Minecraft adventure.

1. A trailer hasn't even been released, and you guys are criticizing just from the concept alone? Really? At least let them release a trailer before you say that a game like Story Mode is going to be stupid.
  2. You've all seen how Telltale make their games. They are good at doing what they do. Give them a chance, guys!
  3. Milking money off of Minecraft? Even without Minecraft, Telltale is doing successfully with its The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us games. They did this fanservice first, money second.

Now don't get me wrong, I do not think that Story Mode will be the Second Coming of Jesus or anything like that. I just think that you guys are giving a lot of criticism for something that doesn't have a trailer and only an announcement. As an avid Minecraft player for well over 2 years, I am intrigued by the concept, and I can't wait for Telltale to make a trailer to see what the game would actually be about. 

• Like 2

The ultimate choice to make Story mode a reality is left to the new owners of Mojang- Microsoft.  But, I can't blame them for going ahead with the idea of doing this.  Hell, it sounds like a great idea. (if they don't fuck it up)

There are a few things I would love to know:
-  Will it be a separate game?  Like with what they currently do?  Or will it be a part of the original game?
-  If it is a part of the game, how will it effect it?  Will they add it as a separate game type?  How will they handle a Story Game mode being so different, on a technique level, then what engine already exists?
-  What will the general story be about?  Like, characters and things like that.

Granted, for the longest time now I've been only been playing Minecraft because of the rich modding community that exists. (FtB FTW)  But this does intrigue me into the future of the Vanilla experience.