A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Series of Questions

GamerZ1

*ah-hem* sorry, maybe it'll take a while.

i have questions regarding to Sonic Worlds Engine 1.4.3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> so... how can i loop my song?

yWr6ooT.png

I know what dat 2 actions for, but i dont know how to change it. Is that "9730" and "119970" are count as seconds...or... somekind of specific type?

> how can i remove entire level layout into blank without removing important objects and destroying the level (became buggy, etc)?

i tried to remove entire object without destroying the engine/important objects,etc. but, strange enough, the game became bug and sonic is below the ground and i can't control him

> background? how to change it and how to configure background parralax?

maybe i have alot questions later as i progress

> so... how can i loop my song?

The loop points are measured in milliseconds. You'll need to find the place you want, and whatever time that is in seconds, move the decimal point over three places. You can find exact times with various sound editing programs such as Audacity. Here's an example, I'm using Sound Forge here.

It doesn't have to be perfect, but the closer it is to where it should be, the better the loop will sound.

A good place to loop Sunrise Gate is at exactly 5.135 seconds. We regard only three digits after the decimal point to convert that to milliseconds.

5d4b3736f901685b1c04e49cc6059e89.png

Thus, 5.135 seconds becomes 5135 milliseconds for our loop start point. You can also see the loop end point is 99388, which would be 99.388 seconds.

42032b7813ccd0ae76217ba6650e5b6d.png

It's important to note that MMF2 doesn't handle this perfectly and it may be slightly off. Testing this can be tedious because it may require tweaking the numbers a little bit and playing through the whole song repeatedly until it sounds right. I sped this up by capturing the game's audio and using a sound editor to measure the gap between loops.

> how can i remove entire level layout into blank without removing important objects and destroying the level (became buggy, etc)?

i tried to remove entire object without destroying the engine/important objects,etc. but, strange enough, the game became bug and sonic is below the ground and i can't control him

This can be annoying. You have to make sure there's at least one of every object you need left in the map. This is why it's a good idea to import every object you need, set everything aside somewhere outside the map, and copy them as you go. That way, if you need to duplicate the level and start fresh with the same set of objects, you can do so while preserving the objects you need. It's also a good idea to keep things specific to your level in a folder in the objects panel. If you haven't set everything aside, you can at least select each object from the panel and copy one of each to set aside so you can safely clear the map. If you haven't done either and you've already gone ahead and made your level, it's on you to sort everything out. Remember to do at least one of those things from now on; set one copy of each object aside somewhere, and/or keep everything in a folder.

> background? how to change it and how to configure background parralax?

This is a little tricky if you're new to MMF2 and Worlds.

You need to create a "Background System Box" object, best added to the bottom layer.

Select this object, then in the properties panel, go to the qualifiers tab, click edit, then add "Generic 10" to the object's qualifiers.

Then go to the Worlds engine code, and open the groups: General methods > Startup Events > Parallax Setup

You'll see a set of instructions, and below that a Start of Frame event. Here, add code that sets alterable values D and E for your Background System Box object.

D is horizontal scroll rate and E is vertical scroll rate. 1 is fully fixed to the camera, 0 is fully foreground. As such, distant objects will be values closer to 1, such as 0.8, 0.9, etc.

Hope this helps you so far.

Edited by Mr Lange
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

You can find exact times with various sound editing programs such as Audacity. Here's an example, I'm using Sound Forge here.

An alternative way would be to turn on the debug counters (activate the debug group), and listen through to the point where you want to start, press "ENTER" or "P", and write down the value of this counter:

oh2YW.png

Repeat this for the end of the loop, and you are done! This is useful if you don't want to install other programs, and this is how I always do it.