A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Recommended Gems

ZigZaX

Havent seen one of these, so here we go.

Youve probably had that one game youve played and gone "this game is awesome! cant wait to see what people think of it" only to realize the game didnt do well and nobody played it aside from you, or that game you didnt know even existed that has had no coverage up untill the moment you played it, and still wonder why it didnt get more attention even though you /know/ people had to try it.

This is a thread to share those games you /know/ deserve better, but for some reason they just didnt do well.

Rules:
This is not a "Favourite game of all time" or "worst game ive played" topic, but a thread to post games you really liked, but nobody either heard, or liked.

The game MUST be obscure, or rated badly to an extent.

Reccomended you avoid sonic games to keep it creative, but feel free to post any if you want.

Without further ado; i'll begin:

Puppeteer_cover.png

Im amazed this game didnt get more attention or recognition; this game looks amazing, is pretty damn fun and isnt all that expensive, only around $20-25, and its pretty fun and creative to boot.

It has an interesting theatre/hand crafted style to it, with everything being narrated, and though at points the voices /might/ be anoying, the game is filled with charm,and memorable characters; and i overlook the voice anoyances i might have. I reccomend this to /any/ fan of platformers, its really worth getting. Shame is Ps3 Exclusive too. Edited by ZigZaX
  • Like 2

I suppose my recommended game would be Monster Racers on the DS.

81mtvHaKrUL._SL1500_.jpgI stated this about a couple weeks ago somewhere, it's like a mix of Mario Kart and Pokemon. I hardly hear about it or see footage besides trailers. I've seen this one Let's Play from this Assassin HeatBeat guy.... It work's really well for what it is and it's something like....like....like $63.55

Most of us here know about Vectorman because of Gems collection. (I had it on actual hardware) It's one of my favorite games of all time.

f9MYRWx.jpg

A decent amount of us know about the Puyo Puyo series because of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

EzLcaeN.png

This game is the only one I imagine people around here WOULDN'T know about:

2D8uuzq.jpg

While I like the game so much because of nostalgia, the game is legitimately good to a degree. I highly recommend picking it up if at all possible.

I'd also like to mention Fire Emblem. Not enough people play that, it's a good series.

I'm also unsure if Rocket Knight Adventures is considered obscure or not, but that's worth mentioning as well.

street_fighter_the_movie.jpg

Most of you are probably wondering why I recommend such a "shitty" game.

Well, I tell you why: Cause it isn't. You're thinking about the horrible Arcade version.

The console game has it's engine based on SSF II Turbo, which means you got rock solid Street Fighter II action complete with super combos. Just with the additional bonus of the movie's cheese factor, plus the music is great too.

There's hardly any reason for a fan of the movie to not own this game.

It's just too sad it gets always overshadowed by the bad rep of its arcade-brother

61geesnqmjl.jpg

Fantastic Pinball Kyutenkai

This one's the cute but awesome spirutual successor of Naxat's Crush Pinball series, made by none other than TechnoSoft, who were also responsible for the great MD port of Devil's Crash. Spot on ball-physics, 3 "characters" to choose from (the only difference I could tell, is the bgm though)

I can't recommend this one enough to fans of Crush Pinball, or pinball games in general.

It's also available in the japanese PSN store, so it's pretty easy and cheap to get too.

Edited by DerZocker
  • Like 1

Klonoa_playstation_front.jpg

I'm surprised this game got overlooked even for the fact that pacman is on the main character's hat. Think of the gameplay like kirby 64 but with the ability to pick up and use enemies as either projectiles or to double jump. The story does have the moments where it gets dark even with the cute character designs like the moment at the end of stage 4 which I won't spoil. You can get the game easily on the PSN store today for only £5 and there's even a remake of the game on the Wii. Even with the short length this is one enjoyable gem to playthrough.

Speaking of namco:

Bravoman_USA_boxart.PNG

This is a strange one. This is pretty much a platforming type game which a few underwater shooting levels. You have stretchy arms which go through multiple enemies but it only hits what enemy is closest to you, combine this with levels can get kinda difficult due to the fact once you die you use a continue and start back at the start of the stage (unless you hold down the II button while dying). It's not the best game namco has made but it is one that you can playthrough and see some of the wacky designs. Suprisenly Bravoman later appeared in Namco X Capcom and much later a 300 panel webcomic and short web series (funfact: bravoman is voiced by the voice actor of donatello from the nick version of tmnt) by Shiftylook. Though sadly the website has now been shut down, luckly you can see the bravoman comics by the bravoman volume 1 book from udon entertainment and see the web series on youtube.

Edited by KlonoatheSanic

I don't think anyone's gonna agree with me on this one, but whatever.

GQPP78.png?1352719167

Battle for Bikini Bottom, is honestly surprising, because for the most part, it's a pretty damn good platformer.

Even more so, considering most of the Spongebob or Nickelodeon games are usually bad or mediocore.

The PC and GBA versions are completely different games, and honestly I don't like them very much, but the Gamecube version is surprisingly good. Is it a masterpiece? Not at all, but it'd say it's a pretty good game.

• Like 2

Three overlooked Namco arcade machines:

Valkyrie no Densetsu

Wonder Momo

Dragon Buster

There was this group called ShiftyLook that was hired by Namco to promote their old properties through comics, animations, mobile games, etc. Unfortunately, they were shut down for some reason  :thumbdown: .

Very fun games though. They have all 5 Namco Museum volumes on PSN :).

post-5347-0-08416100-1418854817_thumb.pn

post-5347-0-32198400-1418854825_thumb.pn

post-5347-0-49284800-1418854834_thumb.pn

KingSalmonNACoverArt.jpg

This game is strange, and there's not much like it on the Genesis. There are a lot of fishing games out there, but this one mixes in some RPG elements that really effect the game and the size of fish you can catch. I've got a whole video about how it, actually. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but check it out if you want something different.

I have some gems too.

WARNING HUGE POST

LocoRoco Series (PSP)

Loco_Roco.jpg

Sonic Unleashed (PS2 / Wii)

wii4.jpg

Crash of the Titans and Crash: Mind over Mutant (PS2 / Xbox 360 / Wii / PSP)

Spikeparafox.jpg

Crash Twinsanity (PS2 / Xbox)

gfs_56298_2_4.jpg

Sonic Rivals (PSP)

3972556426_7f2a1e4ff4.jpg

Hot Pixel (PSP)

hot-pxl-20070530081346533.jpg

Crush (PSP)

Crush-PSP.jpg

Blur (Windows / Xbox 360 / PS3)

blur_game_07.jpg

Crystal Defenders (Xbox 360 / PS3 / Wii / PSP / iOS / Android / Dumb Phones)

screen480x480.jpeg

Super Mario Sunshine (GameCube)

66834-Super_Mario_Sunshine_(Europe)_(En,

Honorable Mentions:

New Rally-X

Mappy

Yu-Gi-Oh! Tag Force Series

Crash Tag Team Racing

Patapon Series

Split/Second: Velocity (It's not overlooked at all.)

>Crash of the Titans and Sunshine as "Hidden Gems", somehow misses out 06.

OK, here we go:

Firebugs (PS1)

This is one of my earliest memories of gaming experiences. Not only was this game a great racer, it also has the fine accolade of owning one of my favourite OSTs in videogames. I mean, just listen to this!

Pac-Man World (PS1)

I expect a lot of you guys to know about this one, but it seems to be pretty obscure by mainstream standards. Solid platforming all the way through along with great art and a brilliant OST.

Pac-Man Ball (UK Arcade Machines)

While not a proper game, per se, I have very fond memories of this machine and I still play it today when I have the chance. Basically, you put in your 2p coins and hope they go through a fruit slot. If they do, a fruit ball corresponding to the slot will drop in on the screen. Your goal is to match fruit to try and get more coins.

Toribash (Steam)

A very fun game which mixes fighting and stratergy. You have to create attacks by flexing, extending or contracting the muscles of your fighter in a turn based death match. The most satisfying thing about this game is pulling your opponent's body apart limb by limb as "the blood spills across the canteen floor".