A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Construct 2 Sonic Engine?

Alright, I'm trying to see if I can make a Sonic game on Construct 2, but it doesn't have the pre-built Sonic engine like Gamemaker has. I mean, there was Sonic Construct Worlds, but the link is down... does anyone have it stored on their hard drive? If you could please kindly link a copy here, you would be doing the community a huge favor smile.png. Or, are the physics and platform behaviors adequate enough to be able to make a Sonic game? (If so, could you give a tutorial how to make it behave like a Sonic game?)

If not, does anyone have another Construct 2 Sonic engine they've made?

Thanks

EDIT: Right here, rejoice!

Edited by StreaktheCommandante

Sonic Construct Worlds was a good effort by Candescence, but it's not nearly adequate enough to make a Sonic game with. A Construct 2 Sonic engine is looking to be too difficult to accomplish because Construct 2 lacks pixel based collision detection and its only alternative are customizable six point polygon shapes, which is not a viable method. Construct Classic on the other hand does have pixel based collision detection.

StreakThunderstorm created an incomplete Sonic engine for Construct Classic. It only features core physics, basic moves, sprite animations, sounds, and springs. So, while it is adequate to work from, it's quite raw and you'd have to create everything else yourself. If you'd like to try, here's the last version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pt51atpbhn545uw/SonicConstruct%20v10.rar?dl=0

Construct's built in movement behaviors do not have anything close to Sonic physics out of the box. You'd have to work it all out on your own. If you want to try that, I'd start here: http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Physics_Guide

You may want to wait, however. There may just be a Construct Sonic engine in the works...

Edited by Mr Lange
  • Like 3

Know what's funny? It's weird when the same conversation happens across many places...

The creator himself gave us a version of his engine (requires the beta release 192), rejoice!

Apparently, in the words of the creator, the problems are with the physics engine more than the collision detection, and work could be done, but there is the link for experimentation.

Edited by StreaktheCommandante

The physics are a problem in that engine, yes, but the main problem he pointed out was how terribly unoptimized it is. Testing the html5 build runs very slowly and inconsistently. Even if you ironed out all the physics so it worked as well as Worlds, the huge bottleneck will still be there, if not made worse. This problem does have to do with collision detection.

Edited by Mr Lange

The CClassic engine worked perfectly, but was horrifically optimized. My current game project used it as a base, but other than the fact i long since lost use for 360 angle detection, I had to completely rewrite the engine from scratch. Streak built the whole engine using Functions, which does the job, but caused some serious issues because of how function priority is handled in CC. 

CClassic is stupid buggy, but it's free, and is probably the most powerful game creator of its type available right now, lightyears ahead of MMF2 and likely game maker as well. 

As for the C2 build...I took a look at it, the interface is nearly identical to CC, but the engine just refuses to work correctly. Even if there was some miniscule error in its code, there's really nothing that would cause it to behave the way it does, so i can only guess it's a processing bottleneck that can't really be worked around. The failure of this engine to work is actually the reason i'm still using CC.

Edited by Serephim
  • Like 1

Recently discovered C2 doesn't have the family nor the attribute system that CC had, which makes it nearly useless. How could they go this far and try to make a commercial version of Construct, then neglect these critically important features? Back to CC it is then.

(reposted from Retro)

Uh... What? Yes it does. Families are still a thing, and much improved from Classic, and attributes have been merged with behaviours, if partly because they were effectively redundant, if I recall.

I looked this up. No wonder, families are only available in the full version. I'm still using the demo.
Attributes are not redundant with behaviors. They worked similar to families, but the difference is, they allowed objects of different types to be grouped, attributes are read only in that you can't apply code to them, only run checks. Also, objects in families all have to share the same private variables. Objects grouped by attributes are independent.
You cannot read from objects that share behaviors, they're not grouped as a readable object.
So, having families and no attributes is better than nothing, but attributes were still an important feature.

Edited by Mr Lange

... So I thought I'd butt into this thread because, as it turns out, I'm ALSO trying to make a Construct 2 Sonic Engine... More cooks to the broth!

I wondered if anyone had any ideas of a good way of simulating classic physics? I'm sure it can be done with advanced algorithms and booleans, but for the life of me I can't think of how to program it.

Here's what I've got so far, it's very pre-alpha. Link: http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/games/781643/preview

I'm not aiming for 1-on-1 classic physics, but something to handle curve speeds would be nice.