A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Rejected Sonic Characters

Miru

Let's discuss the many characters SEGA developed for the Sonic series but never used. You probably all know Tiara B. (who IS in Sonic World) and Honey (and her sister/clone "Candy"), but there are a number of other, more obscure scrapped characters lurking around.

THE SONIC BAND

Band.jpg

The Sonic Band consisted of Max, Mach, and Sharps, along with Sonic and Vector. They were meant as a sound test visual, as well as being in the ending and the intro. The lost three have appeared in the Archie Comic as of late.

MADONNA

Madonna.jpg

Madonna was an obvious parody of the real Madonna and meant to be Sonic's love interest before she was scrapped in favor of Amy.

GAZEBO/KING CYBERBOOSKI

Gazebo_Boobowski.PNG

Tiara's pops. Not much else needs to be said.

VENICE THE MINK

sketch__silver_the_mink_by_sam_huskie-d5

A Silver prototype, rumors abound about this fellow. Some say he was meant to be part of his own IP, others claim he was going to die.

CHAZ AND GABBY

Chazfront.gif

Gabbyfront.gif

Two more characters proposed for Sonic X-Treme. What were they? Playable? Bosses? Comic relief? (I'd assume the latter) Their sprites were left in the prototype rom and released to the internet.

EDIT: Senn was using them for testing purposes, and they were part of an unrelated project that never came to be.

MECHA SONIC I, II III, IV, AND V

Ms_markiiif.jpg

Ms_markivf.jpg

These five were Mecha Sonic models proposed for Sonic X-Treme. They were lost with the death of the game.

SPEEDY THE PORCUPINE AND BOOMER THE TURTLE

Now we're getting into the real unknowns. These two were only pointed out in a UK magazine special edition (Gamemaster?) as prospects for Sonic's sidekick. We don't even have a visual reference for them. Boomer was said to be a "rocket-powered" turtle (likely wearing rocket skates).

SISTER SONIC

Sister Sonic was to be the starlet of a Popful Mail localization named after her. This localization was cancelled, and Sister Sonic never saw the light of day.

SONIC JR

He was to star in a Sega Pico game. Whether he was Sonic's son or just a younger Sonic is unknown.

WHITE VOID GUY

9WC3A8C.jpg

This guy showed up in an early Sonic 1 panorama, looming down on Sonic.

TALKING CLOCK

This clock shows up in the files of Sonic's Schoolhouse, and does exactly what Sonic does.

SKELETAL HEDGEHOG ONI

Sonic 2's Genocide City zone would have apparently had a hedgehog with a flaming skull as a boss, according to a Sonic Advance 2 guide.

TEIROS

Shadow's (real-world) prototype would have been the final boss of Sonic Adventure 2.

DISEMBODIED TREADS

This pair of treads exists in Sonic the Fighters as a character, but we don't know what they were supposed to be.

MORE X-TREME BOSSES

X-Treme was to have a number of animal-themed mecha bosses with names like Darkpool Gorilla, Mecha Mite, Emerald Cat, Flame Falcon, and Guardian Sphinx

Any I missed? As mentioned above, I omitted Honey and Tiara because they're talked about way too much. I also didn't include characters with bigger planned roles than what we got, like Rocket Metal and Perci. Or the prototype Sonic concepts from the early days of Sonic 1 development. Or characters from other media planned to jump to the games. Or the metric ton of scrapped Badniks.

Edited by Miru
  • Like 2

Okay, that skeletal oni sounds badass. Too bad Genocide City was scrapped.

I knew about most of these, although I didn't know about Madonna until I read about it in the Sega Collected Works book go buy it already it's awesome

The image in the book is the exact same one as in the OP.

• Like 1

Okay, that skeletal oni sounds badass. Too bad Genocide City was scrapped.

I knew about most of these, although I didn't know about Madonna until I read about it in the Sega Collected Works book go buy it already it's awesome

The image in the book is the exact same one as in the OP.

Yeah, the skeletal hedgehog boss would have been a badass fight. You even knew about Speedy and Boomer? 

Should I post a collection of fan-art of these rejects?

There are also a ton of characters who were scrapped, but not given proper names. These include:

* I've heard a panda was considered sometime after S3&K. Perhaps meant for Knuckles Chaotix or X-Treme? Or maybe one of the Tails games?

* I've heard Sonic Adventure 2 had a lot of weird new characters in concept art, like this Angel girl, a troll, and some creature made of eyes.