A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Why Are You Still a Sonic Fan?

As much as I love precise physics in Sonic games, I value fun gameplay, beautiful creative environments and good music above that. I must admit last time I was truly excited for an upcoming Sonic game since Sonic Adventure was Sonic Colors. And boy do I love that game. It's my second favorite game after S3K. Sure, it's plot was a lackluster, but all the above valuable (by me at least) qualities are present. I'm hoping that a new Sonic game with Colors' level of creativity and quality will come out again that's why I don't give up on Sonic.

• Like 1

Because the Modern series isn't as bad as all the whiners say it is.

A0mET3F.jpg

Bruh, don't be that guy.

I believe the classic series are better crafted in terms of design. Are modern games as bad as people put them? N--Ye--Well, there's definitely some valid points and some that are just bullshit.

Modern and Classic games are so different you might as well call them their own thing. The classics will always be the better thing, but that doesn't mean the Modern games are the most horrid thing in the universe, just that they're not as good as what Sonic once was. (Let me tell you, it was pretty good.)

It's like if Sonic satAM gets a new season but turns out they ignore everything that made the original show good and make it into another Sonic X. Both are radically different and a Sonic X-2 would not follow what made satAM good. X may not be garbage but isn't nearly as good.

I guess I'm personally still a fan because I believe the fans can do a better work with what SEGA and Sonic Team once started. I enjoy the world the games take place in, I enjoy the characters when they're not being butchered. And to be honest, one thing I rather enjoy from the Modern games are SOME of the risks they have taken, like Riders and its futuristic setting and the Adventure games with all that lore building. It's hard to really pin down why I'm still really a fan, but I guess I am one. [/rambling]

Edited by Jassbec

I actually can understand Ryan's request forlocking this, because, as we all know, it's opinions that cause harm.

Well, can't say much more than the above other than my personal story...

For me, the Sonic series is not much more than another game series I enjoy. Sure I like it more than others and it was, at least back in the 90s, everything for me, but times have changed. I ususally play the Sonic games (the 2D ones + Colours/Generations) when I want to test my memory, try to remeber where to go and what to find. For any other of my gaming needs, I play other games. E.g. For complex stories, I play the Metal Gear games, for mind-blowing puzzles, I play the Layton series and to test my "hardcore"-skills and my luck, I play Streets of Rage 3 on Super Hard or Ghouls 'n Ghosts... This comes with an disadvantage though, since I rarely replay the 3D games once I finsh the story/100% them. It also gives me no reason to replay the story-driven 3D games, since I'm satisfied. So, is there any reason to be a Sonic fan these days? No, but the nostalgia, the general difference of Sonic games (in compairson to other games) and the fandom (especially the fangame one) is what keeps me here.

Maybe I'm just talking bullshit again, but it's bullshit I'm proud of...

Edited by MrLevRocks

Thinking harder about it, and I know another big reason why I really dont care much for Sonic anymore, to the point of not even buying the games used. Sonic is the type of series that I can play on autopilot. It's gotten boring as of late because I've been playing it as long as I can remember, and it has refused to grow up. This has little to do with the game being good or bad, because I feel the same way for Mario. The entire NSMB series felt boring to me. On the other hand, I adore Galaxy and SM3D world is probably the most fun i've had with a platformer in years.

Of course Sonic isn't this way from lack of trying, and this is why Heroes/Unleashed are the 3D sonic game I respect the most, while Colors/Lost World felt like it was picking on me with the way it was designed. I think most of Sonic's shortcomings are just from a multitude of development problems -- you can point out whats physically wrong with the games all day and night, but the truth is those problems could arise from any deeper issue, and since the shortcomings have been so consistent and so thorough i can only assume it's deep rooted enough in Sega to not change anytime soon.

• Like 1

Next time they try to turn Sonic into brawler they should get Platinum to do it.

Edit: In reference to the topic, I didn't become a fan due to SEGA's newer games, so unless they can somehow retroactively go back in time and stop themselves from making interesting games back in the early 90's I'm pretty much stuck that way.

• Like 1