A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

how do i create a game

Creating a videogame, be it 2D or 3D, requires a lot of hard work, time, and dedication.
You should seriously consider starting with the absolute basics and make a Pong clone, just so you can understand the concepts of object movement, player control, score keeping, and game states.
Read this, then look into this and this.
Learn to walk before you run.

• Like 6

you are going to need to make animation.muisic.add some voice acting to go along with the game because those are what make up the entire game.plus it will take days to weeks to months to years just to make it perfect. :cool:

One, voice acting is a bonus feature, not a requisite. Second, this: http://www.evdl.org/pages/netiq.html

Third, spaces between sentences please. This is a verbal warning. You will also receive a "warning shot" warning point that'll last 48 hours. Please write your posts like everyone else instead of looking like a buffoon. This is not meant to bully you or treat you poorly, it's intended to teach you to become a good forum member on this, or every other board. Please take it seriously. Failure to do so will result in additional warning points that last much longer and can eventually lead to a banning for just being an awful board member. Don't make me do that to you, you seem like a nice kid, despite the derpage. You can improve, do so. Thank you.

P.S. In case you don't know, I basically own half of this website, so y'know... stop acting a fool. Please. Don't make me be "mean" about it. 

• Like 4

I would first figure out the game you want to make, from there you can figure out everything else from the game design, to which engine you want to use. I'd make a super simple game right now, don't even worry about making it look pretty, its fine if it's just a bunch of colored squares for your first game, which I would recommend to be a pong or break-out! clone, just to be a nice quick practice for your team and to help your selves learn the engine you're using. 

When you do feel ready to go into serious development on something, I cannot say it enough; make prototypes and get people to play them. Prototyping is one of the fastest and most effective ways to see if your game is fun. So prototype every aspect, from game design to level design and don't hesitate to throw things out it they don't work, even if it doesn't resemble your original vision and make as many as you need to.

As for engines you should use, its ultimately dependent on the game you guys want to make. Unreal 3 (UDK), Unity, and Unreal 4 are some viable options. Personally, if you don't have a programmer yet I would recommend using Unreal 4 since it has a visual language called Blueprint which allows you to code a game with out knowing any code. I'd actually recommend Unreal 4 over other engines in general but which one you chose should be dependent on the game you want to make plus there are an abundance of tutorials on youtube for all of these engines that can solve any problems you may encounter during development, so development should go smoothly no matter what engine you do pick.

Manage your team well and make sure you're allocating the right amount of time to each aspect of the game, and make deadlines for yourselves, they do wonders for productivity.

Good luck making some rad stuff man.

Edited by Highwire4
  • Like 1

Then what do I do with all that extra space?

Simple,

Put Ridley in the game anyway. Just don't make him playable.

hi im new and so is my organization Starz and we wanna know how to make a game in 3d can any one help?

To tack onto what PC0 was saying, I want to ask that the starter of this thread make a better attempt at adhering to grammatical rules as well. In addition, it seems a little less than kosher to make your first post something that could easily be solved with a quick trip to Google. "Making a game in 3d" is, at heart, an extremely ambiguous thing to request help with; it's not very considerate asking us to do that work for you. If you had questions regarding something a little less heavily-documented, e.g., how to get started with a Sonic-oriented engine like Worlds, I would personally understand a little more. I'd like you to try and make an effort next time.

Since people have already pointed you in various helpful directions, and in consideration of what I've already stated previously, I'll be locking this thread now.

• Like 1