A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The Official Sonic United Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Tournament

Clouder

17 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE YOUR REGION

• North America - US Area
    • North America - Canada Area
    • North America - Other/Central America (Virgin Islands, Carribean Islands, US Properties)
    • South America
    • Europe - United Kingdom
    • Europe - Other Countries
    • Asia/Other - Austrailia, Russia, Etc.

9WPKVph.png
In 2014, the forum activity began to decline after the excitement of the new merge and SAGE 2014 began to die down. In an effort to bring more fun and liveliness to the site, the first ever United tournament was created and the people would SETTLE IT IN SMASH!

http://youtu.be/C9_CAC8E_vA

The tournament will be worldwide and timezone friendly, being split up into 4 main regions, and also split up by country according to the number of participants. Each region will have it's own managers and hosts. To sign up for the tournament, please post your info like the example shown below.

There will be NO ITEMS in this tournament, and only OMEGA MODE stages allowed.

USERNAME/3dsFriendCode/Region/Location/Timezone/Smash Main/Color/Alt. (Once you choose this, it's final.)

When signing up, it is important to choose your MAIN AND ALT SCHEME. There are 392 Alts and Characters you can choose from, so the possibilities are endless! Only thing is, Miis aren't allowed. Custom movesets are also allowed, but no equipment on them.

To see what number the alts correspond to, check HERE.
Mario · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Luigi · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Peach · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Bowser · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Yoshi · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Rosalina & Luma · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Bowser Jr. · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Wario · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Mr. Game and Watch · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Donkey Kong · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Diddy Kong · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Link · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Zelda · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Sheik · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Ganondorf · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Toon Link · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Samus · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7
Zero Suit Samus · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Pit · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Palutena · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Marth · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Ike · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Robin · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Kirby · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
King Dedede · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Meta Knight · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Little Mac · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16
Fox · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Falco · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Pikachu · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Charizard · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Lucario · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Jigglypuff · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Greninja · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Duck Hunt Duo · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
R.O.B. · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Ness · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Captain Falcon · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Villager · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Olimar · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Wii Fit Trainer · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Dr. Mario · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Dark Pit · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Lucina · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Shulk · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Pac-Man · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Mega Man · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8
Sonic the Hedgehog · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8

The tournament is split up into 5 parts, all of them having 4 stock battles with an 8 minute time limit.

Day 1 - Regionals
The winner will go on to the next round.
Day 2 - Regionals
The people who won their respective matches in the last round will now fight each other. The winner of that match will go on to the Semifinals.
Day 3 - Continentals (Semifinals)
The winners from the regionals will then fight among the other winners of their own regionals, but only people in the same continent.
Day 4 - Break - Sympathy Match
The winners of the semifinals will have a break and a chance to practice for the Finals. However, there will be a match for the 2nd and 3rd placers of the continentals from each region.
Day 5 - Finals
An all-out brawl between the 4 regions. Winner is the champion of the Smash Tournament. FINAL DESTINATION.

Prizes will be announced by Admin, aka Erazor Neo very soon.
Participants:
North America - USA

Clouder/0533-5521-3964/USA/EST/Bowser Jr./Ludwig Von Koopa/Wario

Jassbec/0791-2700-7162/USA/CA/PT/Ness/4

HeatBeat/1263-7092-7783/USA/EST/Shulk/7

OverlyEquipped/5172-1417-8188/North America - US Area/New York/Eastern/Yoshi/5

Mobi/4184-3024-4750/North America/US/EST/Villager/6

North America - Canada

Coming soon

North America - Other

Coming soon

South America

Coming soon

Europe - United Kingdom

Super Spindash/5386-9238-7600/Europe/United Kingdom/GMT/Lucina/6 (black/navy)

Pootis/5069 - 3909 - 4526/United Kingdom/Europe/UTC/Sonic/3
fahyda/4656-8134-4302/Southeast England/Hillingdon/16:13/Kirby/6

Asia/Other

Coming soon

Well, that's all for now, and feel free to ask any questions.

Edited by St. Clouder
  • Like 3

Not going to lie, while the variety and team stage options are a nice idea, I'd prefer to do a consistent bracket of 1v1s through the final matches. I'd have put it a bit more delicately than Lange did, but I sort of felt the same way when I was reading the setup earlier.

That being said though, I'm never one to not give something like this a chance... (reads post format)

Although unfortunately I'm going to have to pass since I'm not willing to play 3DS.

• Like 1

There are plenty of virtues to having variety in your match setup. It adds some variety, some chances for narrative, and also forces players to adapt to different strategies. However I also see it as perhaps almost too varied, especially given the potential contestant turnout. I think just going with a straight up 1v1 bracket (with the exception of the last match) throughout the whole tournament would feel more consistent and structured than throwing in team fights and 4 way battles.

That being said, all that can be tried out at a later date. For now this is how you laid out your tourney and I'd rather you stick to that first. Who knows? This might work out perfectly fine and I'm absolutely okay with that.

• Like 1

I personally think there's nothing wrong with having items, but I have no problem with having a banned items list as well.

Doesn't matter what you personally think. Many items are very unfair.

All it takes is for a powerful assist trophy or master ball to spawn near someone, which is not uncommon, and spawn positions are random. Same goes for recovery items, as someone can randomly obtain a heart container. Then there's the Starman which also spawns in random places and grants total invincibility. Smash balls can be acquired by accident. Explosives can spawn next to someone right as they perform an attack. There's too many factors that make items unfair due to their randomness and ability to transcend the rules of the core game.

Then there's stages with hazards that interfere greatly with the core gameplay, and can turn a fair competitive match into a massacre for one person having made a small mistake that would otherwise not be so terribly costly.

Team matches, even without items and regular stages, are a very different form of competition than one on one. It's a different test of skills and can severely hamper two otherwise good players who do not work effectively together, especially if their mains do not mix well, whereas their opponents can have a killer combination even if they would otherwise perform not so well individually.

This means that, given your setup, the fair, truly competitive matches will be given to players on a nearly random basis because the first rounds filter any players, good or bad, by unfair, anti-competitive design. This makes for a very lousy Smash tourney. The final rounds could end up being between very skilled players and not so good players, instead of boiling down to an interesting bout between those who performed the best.

Edited by Mr Lange
  • Like 2

....Oh boy.

There will be NO ITEMS in this tournament, and only OMEGA MODE stages allowed.

Eugh....ohhhhh.....*pukes*

Final Destination is very far from a universally balanced stage. You should, at the very least, include Battlefield in the lineup.

When signing up, it is important to choose your MAIN AND ALT SCHEME. Once you choose this, it's final and you will be able to prepare and train yourself for when the time comes. This is done to prevent character mix-ups and to distinguish the final participant roster.

What the...what is the function of this? Why are you locking characters out? They aren't limited resources. What purpose would forcing a player to a character possibly achieve?

The tournament is split up into 5 parts, all of them having 4 stock battles with an 8 minute time limit.

I can assure you, with 100% certainty, that 4 stock matches on 3DS are going to be determined by the timer. The blast zones are 6 miles away. Just do 2 stock + best of 3 matches or First to 3 wins.

Some more of my bad opinions:

- Free-For-Alls are stupid matches, between people who want to win, they ALWAYS result to camping strategies, and they favor specific characters. They're worthless in tournaments, absolutely worthless.

- If you're going to have 4 players on the field, make it 2v2, turn on Team Attack, remove the items. Otherwise it's no different from a free-for-all and just encourages camping and spamming.

- If your tournament has team matches, your teams need to enter as single entities, win as a single entity and lose as a single entity. In other words, choose one or just do 1v1s. 

Edited by Serephim
  • Like 1

Final Destination is very far from a universally balanced stage. You should, at the very least, include Battlefield in the lineup.

Battlefield is the only non-omega mode stage allowed.

What the...what is the function of this? Why are you locking characters out? They aren't limited resources. What purpose would forcing a player to a character possibly achieve?

So people will be forced to make good decisions when choosing a main, and it also prevents people from trying to change characters to get an advantage. Plus, there's plenty to go around having 392 of them. No reason to have duplicates.

Battlefield is the only non-omega mode stage allowed.

So people will be forced to make good decisions when choosing a main, and it also prevents people from trying to change characters to get an advantage. Plus, there's plenty to go around having 392 of them. No reason to have duplicates.

Then enforce counterpick rules. Pick whomever you want, after first match, the loser is allowed a counterpick, winner keeps the character. Same with stages if you want to go farther. Forbid the same map being played in one set, or just keep only tournament viable stages on random and use that instead to avoid intentional stage counter picks. Battlefield, FD and Smashville are what i'd call tournament fair stages, but 100% platform-less stages are certainly biased. 

But trying to artificially widen the character choice like that is pretty weak. That's a pretty horrible tournament rule.

Edited by Serephim

fahyda/4656-8134-4302/south east England/Hillingdon/Eastern standard time (I think that's it)/Kirby/Grey (i think that's the 6th one)/blue

Hope im not too late to join in.

so Kirby is taken? if that's true then im screwed because I always chose Kirby on online mode.

i see Kirby is available now

im not good with remembering time zones

Edited by fahyda

Speaking of alts, there is a new rule:

You can now change your main during the sign-up period if it's not taken, and you can also pick another secondary main. In addition, the only one main rule has been abolished, meaning you can pick who you like! For example, Ludwig Von Koopa is my main, but overalls Wario is my secondary.