A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

What's a good engine?

Unity is indeed much simpler to use and has all the capabilities that UDK has.  Problem is, it really does not hold your hand with anything.  You'd have to create every last bit of interactivity yourself, whereas UDK has a lot of that functionality built in.  I'm working on my own Unity Sonic engine for people to use, and while it's nowhere near usable yet, I should have a tech demo available within the month.

Your best bet is probably Sonic GDK.  It's really nice.

Yeah, I've checked it out. I'm... by no means... a programmer myself, but I understand these things.

Hmm, what about the best engine judging by the amount of source code flying about compared to the others? I mean, for now UDK is superior for Sonic due to the Sonic GDK that was made, but what about other pieces of source code, say, strategy or RPG?

Edited by StreaktheCommandante

If I remember right, UDK is open-source and Unity has almost no open-source material.  I believe Unity will start becoming more open-sourced in its next iteration though.

As far as what exists in-engine to create gameplay, UDK has everything you need for a shooter or maybe a platformer.  Other genres will require custom scripting, but not nearly as much as in Unity.

Unity has no gameplay built in whatsoever.  There are some free assets out there to provide gameplay though, including some straight from Unity.  However, the free stuff is usually pretty rudimentary and will likely not be enough to make a game with.

There are some great gameplay suites on Unity's asset store but they can be expensive.  On top of that, if you get all your scripting from separate sources, chances are you're going to have a lot of conflicts.

There's really no way to avoid doing a whole lot of custom programming in Unity.  That is, until I get off my ass and finish my work.

Addendum:  If by source code you mean stuff people have written for the engine, there's a lot out there, but as I mentioned there will be issues with it.  You can have it cheap, good, or compatible.  Usually not any combination of the three unless you do it yourself.

Edited by Nemox

Well, while you can use almost any engine for any kind of game, I haven't seen many strategy games that use the Unreal Engine, so it might not be suitable for that. Have a look on the UDK Forums as there are some example source codes for RPG's, adventure games etc available.

Edited by Ell678

Addendum:  If by source code you mean stuff people have written for the engine, there's a lot out there, but as I mentioned there will be issues with it.  You can have it cheap, good, or compatible.  Usually not any combination of the three unless you do it yourself.

Hm, that's interesting. Yes, I meant scripts and games that have openly modifiable and copiable source code. I know UDK has quite a lot, but compared to Unity.

Oh, and yes Ell, I know you can make just about anything with any engine (well, most anyways...), but since I'm not a programmer myself, I'm mostly looking for an engine that wouldn't be too much of a burden to other programmers.

Ah yeah, Unity has a ton of those.  They're good for learning from, but usually not for creating an actual game unless you're willing to invest in the more pricey ones.  Okashi RPG Kit is a good bundle for example, from what I understand.

Your avatar makes me think....

...well it makes me think...

Hm?  What about?

Ohh... you know... we're talking about engines... and... you always keep talking about... you know...

Let's just say, "why are you not surprising?"

Only downside to Unreal is that you end up having to get the actual engine/game as well.

What do you mean by that? As in, you have to get the game to get the engine? But UDK is free...

Edited by StreaktheCommandante