A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

"Stunt Race" XF

LakeFeperd

A respawn key would be nice.

This is pretty fun, I love pulling all kinds of crazy shit with the physics, doing shortcuts and stuff.

EDIT: that fucking canyon stage tho

EDIT 2: Holy crap, why are you doing this to me Lake, that canyon part is infernal. The racetrack shouldn't be so narrow.

EDIT 3: I think trees should stop you, not send you flying.

EDIT 4: I'm starting to believe that only certain walls should let you run on them, crashing into one at high speeds will send you flying.

Edited by Jassbec

As a huge racing fan, this was really fun! My only nitpicks are that the res is way too small(Or it's just way too pixelated), making it hard to see what's coming up, and it doesn't support 1920x1080.

Now I understand the old racers were low res, but it can be a huge problem sometimes, so I think it should be an option.

I beat it on my first try with 36 secs left. : D

I gotta say I really enjoyed this for what it is. It has that superfx chip feel down pretty well. Are those artificial framerate drops? If so, I have to applaud that; it does a lot for the feel here. It's probably the only scenario in which framerate drops are preferable.
I love the loose and wild "I don't give a shit" mechanics. It's fun how the game has little in the way of strict limitations and lets you go crazy along the terrain without unnecessary rules; instead, you have a time limit and a solid world that suggests a directive and lets the player do what they will with the mechanics provided. This is a good and fun philosophy to work with.
This has a bad side though, as the carefree mechanics have some really rough spots that are easy to encounter. In particular, contacting a wall while driving can easily flip the car, or cause a wacky rotation that requires a lot of effort (and time) to correct and get back on course. A few more guides in how the car works could help this without sacrificing the wild freedom the game has.
The car handling isn't too bad. I'd say the worst problem is the steering. It seems to work by accelerating the rotation, but it's a really steep, fast acceleration. This causes an all or nothing kind of steering. Tapping doesn't turn the car enough, holding slightly longer turns the car too much. It makes those narrow, open sided roads needlessly frustrating. I would try to average out the steering more.

Edited by Mr Lange
  • Like 4

In a more recent build i had to remove the low-resolution effect due to the fact it's only possible with unity pro, and i want to revert back to regular unity. Only them i noticed how much it adds to the game. That aside, i've been experimenting with a new stage heavly influenced by f-zero, with gravity manipulation and all.

vlqRovn.png

I'm really surprised how easy was to do all of this, for those wondering, this game sinply uses a tweaked version of unity's sample assets' car, which is build with just regular unity pysics.

Although, i'm sad to say you guys probably won't see more of this game anytime soon, this screenshot is form a incomplete stage and i really have to go back to spark.

@Lange

Well, not really, the game is supposed to run at 60+ fps in every machine. The mechanics are the result of me using only unity's basic pysics for this game, which also means that it's really easy for them to go wrong since there is a lot of factors i just don't really have any control over. No matter how i place the colliders on a object, the car will go flying after colliding with it anyway.

And yeah, i didn't realise tapping the keys to turn was a thing, i guess i jsut forgot about it.

• Like 1

I should've tried this before writing that up. I just tested a gamepad with a joystick, and it plays different. The game seems to cap the turning speed by the joystick amount, and steering is a lot more manageable this way. This time I beat the game without too much trouble (even with the few flips and falls I made along the way), whereas I hadn't even managed to complete the game yet via keyboard. Using a joystick has a much slower maximum turning speed given the cap, and using a keyboard has a much faster turning speed. This means that the game is quite different depending on what you're playing with, which is a pretty big issue, seeing as you can exceed the intended limits of the game with another mode of input, not to mention it makes the game a lot more difficult for those who can only use keyboard controls. I would check how the game is handling inputs, and see if you can set keyboard controls to have the same maximum as a fully held joystick.

The maximum cap with a joystick is so different, that in some areas the issue was actually opposite, in that the car turned too slowly at some places. But, this is still much better than the all or nothing madness that is using a keyboard, and it encourages the player to moderate their speed.

Edited by Mr Lange

Here's more stuff:

tumblr_ng7qr2ttst1tsqqw0o1_500.pngtumblr_ng7qr2ttst1tsqqw0o3_500.png

tumblr_ng7qr2ttst1tsqqw0o2_500.png

Big images! Anyway, that stage was heavily influenced by F-zero GX complete with anti gravity.

@Lange

Oh wow, i really don't have a controller to test it out myself, so there is no way for me to know. Thanks for poiting it out.
But with the way unity works, i don't really see that happening. Keep in mind the turning is worse the faster you are going, this is prevent the car from flipping by turning too hard at high speeds.

Played the game like four times. It's good pure fun, even though due to having the retro look, situations where you'd think there'd be a path ahead of you but "nope, it's a turn" happens. 

The game is a lot more enjoyable with a controller and I recommend it being the optimal way of playing. 

No VirtuaRacing car? You dissapoint me Lake...

The game itself is nice, though I don't understand all the hate for the keyboard controlls, since I don't have any problems with them.

Also, you could try to make the controlls in a exponential function like f(x)=n^x with x: Seconds after pressing and holding the arrow keys and n: a constant, that defines the turning speed. f(x)/100 would then be the amount of "turning" (i %) that the car is having in relation of the maximal turning speed.

E.g. with n=2 the car would turn 1% of max turning after a second, 4% after two, 9% after 3 seconds... Until x>10 when f(x)/100 >100%, meaning that after 10 seconds the car would be turning with maximum speed.

Just as an idea, maybe it helps, but every x<4 is too small... :)

• 2 weeks later...

rKtRQ0K.png

Just another level i've been working on. Reverse gravity can now be part of any stage.

@MrLevRocks

Not sure if that's a good idea, i still haven't figure out how the turning works yet (as i've mentioned before, i didn't make the car's pysics/control). But from what i know, the game has a Axis variable that's supposed to react to how much the analog sticks in a controller are pressed (-1...0...1) but when a keyboard is used, it simulates an analog stick and does what you see right now. I don't know how to change that and if that's really a thing since i don't have a controller to test it out myself.

Oh yeah, spark. To tell you guys the truth, spark is under a halt at the moment and will be for a while.

In the meantime i'm working on this game, which is, in a way, more important to me. That is, i need master how to work with unity since i i'll have to use it a few more times for some pretty important college assignments.

• Like 1