A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Fusion slowness

Hez

So recently, at random, almost everything I've been running in Fusion has had its framerate crapped down to around 20-25. I have no idea what is doing this. I recently upgraded to Fusion and everything was running fine, until randomly (I can't in emphasize how random this was) everything started being choppy. 

I decided to open up some old builds of Classic to see if it was just my recent build. Everything was choppy. Then I opened up some old builds of Worlds, like...way old. They were choppy.

Then I opened up MMF2 again, and reopened up all this stuff. Ran smooth.

Any ideas? It ran fine in Fusion until I hit run frame once and it hasn't been the same since.

• Like 1

Weird. Let's approach this from another angle, then.

Did you install new stuff to your CF2 setup, or did you update Windows or something? Also, Win7 or Win8?

Good idea, the more heads the better.

So now that you mentioned it, a Windows update did roll through. Nothing was modified to CF2 at all.

It also out of nowhere started working normally again, for about 20 minutes, then dropped back down to 19-21 FPS. This continues after restart too, so I'm ALMOST starting to think its hardware...but that's nearly impossible as everything else runs completely normal.

Check your system usage (mainly CPU usage) when it works badly, and do it again if it happens to work well. Perhaps some background process is slowing everything down... Could be related to Windows updating.

Again, CPU usage is exactly the same. I'm beginning to think maybe it is a windows process that got jacked up. I did get this response from clickteam below. I'll test that theory after work.

If it was Windows there would be probably the same problem in stand-alone apps. The fact it's in the editor could be due to the debugger. I just remember CF 2.5 stores the list of objects added to the debugger, I'm not sure it automatically clears the list, we have to add an option for that. Run regedit and remove the "objects" and "objectslength" values from the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clickteam\Fusion 2.5\Debugger

(replace Fusion 2.5 by Multimedia Fusion 2 if you don't use the build 283 of CF 2.5 as the key hadn't been modified...)  

Edited by Hez

• 2 weeks later...

One odd little thing I've noticed with MMF2/CF2.5 is that my frame rate will tank on just about any game if Windows notifications are currently going off. Just a thought. I have no idea why it does that, but something similar to that might explain intermittent problems.

You might consider trying a system restore... reset everything back to a time when it worked consistently. No idea if it'll work or not. If it doesn't, you can always try reformatting or something.

Ends up the problem was with the debugger. When minimized (didn't even need to disable it), it would run fine. Expand it, and it would tank back down. This happened with the most stripped down version of Worlds. I'm beginning to think the debugger is conflicting with an extension, as it does not happen with a clean, unaltered, new file.

Well, we're getting somewhere. The debugger by default doesn't show details about objects such as actives or extensions, only global data and frames.

If you add objects via 'Add to debugger' you can check their values and other details, so what's probably happening is that some object is being added to the debugger and it updates itself so much that the debugger window can't keep up.

Try opening the debugger again and check any object folder added in there aside from 'Global Values' and 'Global Strings'. Delete any 'Add to debugger' actions for said objects, then see if the problem is gone.