A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Mobius (Looking For Concept Artist)

sonicM_logocopy_zps8bae16f5.png

Sonic Mobius

Is a non-profit Fangame, created in the same vein of classic sonic. Built using the foundation of Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic Mobius takes on the continuing fight against Dr Robotnik but in a different series of events. Taking ideas, themes and characters from the Sonic the Hedgehog TV series and the Archie Sonic Comic, Sonic Mobius intends to bring to life concepts from these to the game.

Sonic Mobius is a Sequel to Sonic 3 & Knuckles, starting a alternate history of sonic (We all know where Sonic 4 went.). Quite a while after his defeat in the Doomsday Zone, Dr Robotnik has finally rebuilt and is on a rampage. Friends, new and old, must band together and crush all his forces.

Sonic Mobius strives to elevate itself to the standards of the Original Games and that of Fan Games like Before/After the Sequel. All team members are committed to the experience and the standards needed to be achieved in the final version.

Main Project Team (so far):

eighttailedfox:

-Basically a jack of all trades kind of guy. Learning how the art and music needs to be formatted to work in the engine. Learning how to use and modify the HCGE engine, including getting help and lessons from Stealth. Research and public relations.

Flame Arthur

-Test Level Art. Art and Music. Mostly helping artistically and musically.

NakashimaKun:

-Project supporter, and webspace host. Currently waiting on me to get more concrete progress before committing.

Stealth:

-Providing technical support and basic lessons for HCGE, but not working with the project directly.

Vague Job Titles:

Project Lead:
-eighttailedfox

Programmer:
-N/A

Level Gameplay Design:
-eighttailedfox
-NakashimaKun

Art (Level and Sprites):
-Flame Arthur (Level)

Music:
-Flame Arthur (Level)

Current Engine:
-HCGE by Stealth ( http://www.headcannon.com/HCGE/ )

Current Video:

The Project is just starting, so we are looking to get the First Zone Playable before starting recruitment for full-on production.

Currently Looking For:

Concept Artist:
-For rough sketches and rough coloured first Zone look and themes.
-For rough sketches for enemies of the first Zone.

My Contact Info:
Message me through this thread or Sonic United personal message.
Or add me on Skype: eighttailedfox

Credits:
Sonic Team / Sega for all things Sonic
Archie Comics for all things Mobius
Stealth for HCGE Edited by eighttailedfox

Yeah, like they said on Retro, no one is gonna come with something shown.

I'm going to tell you the same thing I said there.

"At the current time, As it says we're only looking for a concept artist for the first zone. This isn't a recruitment thread for anything else at the moment. Just looking for a little help for the first zone, so that we'll have screenshots and footage for later recruitment. Please don't misread."

Quite frankly, I haven't lied to anyone. We don't have any of our own assets at the moment, as far as using someone's else assets, that doesn't make sense. I could use someone else work, then someone would likely call it plagurizism and not my work.

I am being completely honest and open on where the project currently stands. I'm not trying to trick people into joining the project.

So I'd appriciate it, that if you don't have any helpful advice for a newly starting project, for what they should be doing, or how to get proper help. Then please don't go out of your way to tell me to not try.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone with any of this, just the level of hate aimed at new projects (On retro in particular.) is oddly extreme.

Well, Retro is a wholly different level, they have that 'trial membership' stuff and all that. It's no wonder you didn't get any attention there. I wouldn't say they hate new projects, they just expect a certain level of complexity to them. They specialize more in ROM hacks, anyway.

You have to recognize that recruitment threads are quite frequent nowadays with all the tools and engines available to use. In order to stand out from the rest, something unique is needed. You say you plan on doing a S3&K follow up game, but that doesn't say much. Expand yourself a bit more.

I don't want to come as antagonistic, but here it may end up as the same thing as in Retro.

At the very least, I think showing a bit of your engine could help drive some people around. Just grab some wireframe test level graphics and make something with it.

Another tip: Show some of the ideas you plan on having in your project - gimmicks you thought of, or game mechanics. Even a rough sketch of a spiked mass running fast would do - an image is worth a thousand words.

• Like 1

Well, Retro is a wholly different level, they have that 'trial membership' stuff and all that. It's no wonder you didn't get any attention there. I wouldn't say they hate new projects, they just expect a certain level of complexity to them. They specialize more in ROM hacks, anyway.

You have to recognize that recruitment threads are quite frequent nowadays with all the tools and engines available to use. In order to stand out from the rest, something unique is needed. You say you plan on doing a S3&K follow up game, but that doesn't say much. Expand yourself a bit more.

I don't want to come as antagonistic, but here it may end up as the same thing as in Retro.

At the very least, I think showing a bit of your engine could help drive some people around. Just grab some wireframe test level graphics and make something with it.

Another tip: Show some of the ideas you plan on having in your project - gimmicks you thought of, or game mechanics. Even a rough sketch of a spiked mass running fast would do - an image is worth a thousand words.

This is what I was talking about. Thank you.

I did get one person interested to contact me thanks to these intial threads. We're working on the test level now. Not much to look at but this is the first art tile we have so far:

SouthIslandZoneAssetsWIP_zpse4a9b12e.png

Once we have a level to call our own up and running, I'll be updating the thread to show it ingame.

Anyone could slap someone's zone art into someone's already working sonic engine, and I wanted to show better then that.

Thanks for taking your time to reply. I should have some basic stuff to show by next week.

Added a Video to First post. Short and simple. Just showing some of the art made in the past week inside and working in Stealth's HCGE.

Really a proof of concept.

Edit: Added a Meet the Team Section, to give a brief description of current people involved.

Edit Edit: I'm helping my dad move, so you may not hear from me for a week after Tuesday.

Edited by eighttailedfox

• 1 month later...